Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4X4 or 4X2? Recapture cost?

Old 02-13-2015, 12:49 PM
ucf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 4X4 or 4X2? Recapture cost?

Hi,

I am getting pretty close to ordering a new truck. After quite alot of pondering I have figured out which options I want to go for, except 4X2 or 4X4.

I really dont have any need for a 4X4, I live in florida and dont plan on taking a 50K+ truck off road. But maybe I will buy a boat in the future (dont really know what will happen in the next 5 years). As of now, I tow nothing.

I am looking at the King Ranch, I noticed alot of them are 4X4. Do you think
I will be hurting resale if I purchase the 4X2? Looking to buy 4X2 King Ranch with max tow (figured might as well since im building it)

If I do purchase the 4x4 how much do you think I will recapture in the future sale, 3 to 5 yrs from now?

Maybe over thinking this.
Old 02-13-2015, 12:59 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

It's quite easy to use Edmunds or KBB to see the value of a 4x4 vs. a 4x2 3 to 5 years ago as compared to now. People say that a 4x4 retains value better. However, I've not seen a financial analysis that says that over 3-5 years you come out ahead with a 4x4, given the added cost.

For towing you don't need 4x4, although a slippery boat ramp is easier with it. IMHO, any option you buy should be because you need it, you'll never recover the incremental cost - and any vehicle in good shape will sell. Most people don't tow anywhere near what they think they will. Some do, but they are in the minority.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:01 PM

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by ucf
Hi,

I am getting pretty close to ordering a new truck. After quite alot of pondering I have figured out which options I want to go for, except 4X2 or 4X4.

I really dont have any need for a 4X4, I live in florida and dont plan on taking a 50K+ truck off road. But maybe I will buy a boat in the future (dont really know what will happen in the next 5 years). As of now, I tow nothing.

I am looking at the King Ranch, I noticed alot of them are 4X4. Do you think
I will be hurting resale if I purchase the 4X2? Looking to buy 4X2 King Ranch with max tow (figured might as well since im building it)

If I do purchase the 4x4 how much do you think I will recapture in the future sale, 3 to 5 yrs from now?

Maybe over thinking this.

You know, better than anyone here, what you plan or dream for your future. There are plenty of people that tow boats with cars and crossovers vs. trucks.

It really depends on what you want. I always looks several years forward because I have never kept a car/truck for less than 10 years. I shop not just for what I need now, but for what I might want/need in the future. That being said, I hunt a lot and probably could have gotten away with a 2wd in many of the places I go, but I can get to more with 4x4. I also plan on moving to Colorado or Alaska in the next 4-6 years and a 2wd would not be nearly as versatile for what I want to do then.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:04 PM
Better OUT then IN

Received 253 Likes on 206 Posts

I had a 4x2 for the past 4 years and regretted it the entire 4 years. I also live in FL. South Florida to be exact.

Let me be clear though, I loved the truck and everything about it except not having 4WD.

My regret was that, 3 months after I bought the truck, we purchased property in central Florida. River Ranch. Off road/back woods property that, for the most part, was 4WD access only.

Additionally, I travel to the Northeast during the holidays every winter and NOT having 4WD at times has been problematic.

My opinion would be...get 4WD.

Last edited by justjimmy; 02-13-2015 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:15 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I don’t know about Florida but up here in NH a 4X4 at resale will more than cover the price of ordering a 4X4 over a 4X2, not to mention being in much greater demand and easier to sell.I think for every 99 4X4’s I see on the road I see one 4X2 (and I’m sure that guy regrets it).
Old 02-13-2015, 01:16 PM

Received 368 Likes on 157 Posts

There is absolutely no financial reason to get 4x4. Any potential (but likely not real) gain in resale will be offset by fuel costs.

Buy a 4x4 if you will use it, otherwise get a 2wd.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:16 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Funny how conversations vary by region. Here (Minnesota) I don't think you could find a truck in a 4X2 configuration. But then we use them all year around. (most of us). But I would think resale would not be a problem if you sold it in your area. If you really don't need it, pass on the 4X4. I would think the less weight would also help your mpg. And perhaps a better ride.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:28 PM
PPPPPuppy Power

Received 887 Likes on 653 Posts

I think if you are asking the question of if you need it, then just get 4wd.

I don't know if I have ever seen a thread on here on someone regretting they got 4wd, or a truck nicer than they need.

Lots of threads with people with regrets they didn't buy what they wanted, not nice enough, 2wd, etc.

Keep in mind I'm in mn and 2wd trucks are non existent unless they are fleet/service trucks.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:52 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

It's not just is it worth more at resale, but how much more did it cost?

It isn't just the extra 3000$ option, but financed over how many years at what rate. Add in the extra taxes and costs, plus difference in milage, and I highly doubt that will equal the extra amount you will get 5 years from now when you sell it.

In my area, a 2010 KR 4x4 private party from KBB is 26,507. 4x2 is also 26,507.
The following users liked this post:
Ricktwuhk (02-13-2015)
Old 02-13-2015, 02:00 PM

Received 104 Likes on 68 Posts

Like many have stated UCF will have to decide what he intends to do with the truck in Florida.

If he is going off road in the sand, he would need 4X4.. If all hard surface 4X2..

Boat-depends on how big the boat is and whether the boat ramp is paved or natural sand ramp.

I live in Ohio, have had p/u's since 1980 and all have been 4X2's.. But I don't go off road.

I have sold my 97 and 04 F150's and neither person cared that is was only a 4X2.. A 4X2 is about $3k less up front and that's what I got less when I sold than a 4X4. Washout for my case.

If you lived in Michigan or above, 99% of the trucks on the lot would be a 4X4.

I work on trucks for a living and hate working on a 4X4 and all it's associated upkeep when broken. Many more parts to go bad. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
The following users liked this post:
Ricktwuhk (02-13-2015)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4X4 or 4X2? Recapture cost?