Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4 Wheel drive issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 Wheel drive issue

Hey all,
I have a 2015 F150 it is the 2.7 eco it has about 37000 on it. I am currently having some issues with the four wheel drive. It shifts into 4W High fine but then acts like the rear diff is locked, you can hear the tire skidding in the rear when I turn the other day I heard a loud bang when I was using it. I rarely use 4w so it hasn't been abused. It drives fine in 2w as well. Wondering what is going on and if it is covered under the power train warranty.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:06 PM

Received 577 Likes on 390 Posts

are you using it on dry ground on the road or in mud or sand.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:28 PM

Received 701 Likes on 504 Posts

That means the surface is to high friction to use 4WD.
4WD Hi has a locked transfer case. The only way for the front and rear tires to turn different arcs in a turn is for the front tires to spin or rear tires to slip. Only use 4WD Hi or Lo on snow, mud or loose sand. You can get away with it in a straight line like a drag strip pass (Don't do it for an extended period on the street as it will still bind with zero tire slip because the tires are not exactly the same diameter and/or pressure) but put it back in 2WD before making the turn onto the return road.

If you continue using 4WD Hi on a High Friction surface you will eventually damage the drivetrain or break an axle.

It should state in your owner's manual to never use 4WD (except Auto on Lariat and Above) on a High Friction Surface.

A locked transfer case vs unlocked transfer case is the difference between 4WD and AWD. The issue with using 4WD on High Friction Surfaces used to be common knowledge but with the Advent of Full Time 4WD (Differential in Transfer case + Hi and Lo Lock Modes) and AWD apparently this knowledge has become less common.
​​​​​​

Last edited by Gene K; 09-17-2018 at 05:42 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gene K
That means the surface is to high friction to use 4WD.
4WD Hi has a locked transfer case. The only way for the front and rear tires to turn different arcs in a turn is for the front tires to spin or rear tires to slip. Only use 4WD Hi or Lo on snow, mud or loose sand. You can get away with it in a straight line like a drag strip pass (Don't do it for an extended period on the street as it will still bind with zero tire slip because the tires are not exactly the same diameter and/or pressure) but put it back in 2WD before making the turn onto the return road.

If you continue using 4WD Hi on a High Friction surface you will eventually damage the drivetrain or break an axle.

It should state in your owner's manual to never use 4WD (except Auto on Lariat and Above) on a High Friction Surface.

A locked transfer case vs unlocked transfer case is the difference between 4WD and AWD. The issue with using 4WD on High Friction Surfaces used to be common knowledge but with the Advent of Full Time 4WD (Differential in Transfer case + Hi and Lo Lock Modes) and AWD apparently this knowledge has become less common.
​​​​​​

Yep... I am sure that's it. I should have known, its all working perfectly just scared me. The book even says if you do that it may make a noise. Thaks for the quick response.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:19 PM

Received 169 Likes on 129 Posts

You might have pulled out on the **** at the same time, and activated the E-locker rear end

Quick Reply: 4 Wheel drive issue