Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

30k mile checkup

Old 02-25-2017, 10:23 AM

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Default 30k mile checkup

So I dropped by dealer today for oil change and they advised me that I was due for a 30k service. They showed me what it was, just more basic stuff checked trans case oil and tranny oil changed. However they wanted $400 for this. I just thought really holy crap!!!! So I passed on it.
Just wondering is this something that would even be needed, I can't imagine this soon. Maybe at 60k that should be done well the tranny at least.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:27 AM
Gone Golfin

Received 2,270 Likes on 1,391 Posts

Originally Posted by katoom
So I dropped by dealer today for oil change and they advised me that I was due for a 30k service. They showed me what it was, just more basic stuff checked trans case oil and tranny oil changed. However they wanted $400 for this. I just thought really holy crap!!!! So I passed on it.
Just wondering is this something that would even be needed, I can't imagine this soon. Maybe at 60k that should be done well the tranny at least.
Tranny oil changed? Not needed or even recommended.

Only things you may consider are putting in a new air filter (if you haven't already) and a cabin air filter if you haven't yet. Those are do-it-yourselfers.
The following users liked this post:
SCrewYou (07-07-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 10:33 AM

Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

Just look up your own maintenance schedule and figure out what you need.

https://owner.ford.com/tools/account...-schedule.html
The following users liked this post:
Ricktwuhk (07-08-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 10:35 AM

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

I think I saw in the manual that wasn't scheduled till at least 100,000 miles. I think if it is just a commuter vehicle that is ok but for me I tow a Travel Trailer and I will have the fluids changed the first time between 30 and 50k. My last truck I had friends that had to replace transmissions and water pumps etc. and I wasn't. I think that had to do with regular maintenance. The price seems high though.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:49 AM
Save the Manuals!

Received 1,057 Likes on 491 Posts

Sounds like your dealer is run by a bunch of crooks...

From this thread...

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/feb-2...ealers-373396/

January 2017
To: All Ford and Lincoln Dealers, Service Managers and Parts Managers
Subject: Ford Motor Company Position on Scheduled Maintenance Business
A world-class customer service experience is fundamental to the success of Ford and Lincoln
Dealerships and Ford Motor Company. As we jointly pursue a leadership position in customer
retention, a primary goal at FCSD is to provide your team with the products and services
necessary to continuously enhance the customer service experience that you deliver.
Dealerships that consistently deliver prompt, competitive, high-value service will be one step
closer to enjoying the benefits of lifetime customers.
Top performing dealerships attain a profitable fixed operations business by offering a quality
customer service experience using Ford scheduled maintenance procedures. Ford Motor
Company does not support the sale of unnecessary services, including dealership repair services
that significantly deviate from our recommended maintenance guide, service intervals or shop
manual procedures.
MAINTENANCE INTERVALS
Promoting maintenance intervals that significantly deviate from those published in the Scheduled
Maintenance Guide are unnecessary and may damage credibility and result in lost customers.
 Ford Motor Company recommends specific maintenance intervals for various parts and
component systems based on extensive engineering and testing.
 Ford relies on this testing to determine the most appropriate mileage for replacement of oils
and fluids needed to protect the vehicle at the lowest overall cost of ownership to the
customer.
 Reducing maintenance intervals does not improve vehicle durability.
AFTERMARKET OIL & FILTERS
Improvements in engine and lubricant technology have led to increased recommended oil change
intervals. Dealerships should use Motorcraft® Oil & Oil Filters, which are approved by Ford
Engineering to ensure optimal performance:
 Motorcraft Premium Synthetic Blend Motor Oil is manufactured with high viscosity synthetic
base oils and specifically designed performance additives to ensure optimal performance
over the entire oil change interval.
 Motorcraft Oil Filters use superior seals, pressure relief valves, anti-drain back valves,
polyester and cellulose media with the capacity to handle today’s extended drain intervals.
 Aftermarket oil and oil filters are not recommended by Ford Motor Company.
Ford & Lincoln customers purchasing “The WORKS” package expect to receive Motorcraft Oil &
Oil Filters. Those dealerships not using Motorcraft Oil & Oil Filters are not eligible to participate in
“The WORKS” nationally advertised offers and consumer rebates.
CHEMICALS AND ADDITITVES
Ford Motor Company recommends against the use of all chemicals, treatments or additive
products not identified in the owner guide or unless specifically recommended in publications
such as Technical Service Bulletins. Only approved chemicals, when used as instructed, are
compatible with a vehicle's components and systems.
SYSTEM FLUSHES
The following should be understood related to the topic of engine, transmission, steering, brakes
and fuel system fluid flushing services:

 Demonstrating to a customer that specific fluids should be changed because of a change in
their color is a misleading practice. Darkening of many fluids is normal in most cases.
 If flushing is required in conjunction with a transmission component repair, the dealership
should flush the transmission with only the recommended transmission fluid. Use of chemical
transmission flushes can damage the vehicle's transmission.
 Utilizing fluid exchange equipment is acceptable as long as Ford approved fluids are used.
 Fuel injection system flushing is not considered scheduled maintenance by Ford Motor
Company. Should the fuel injection system require cleaning to resolve a specific condition,
chemicals meeting Ford requirements are recommended, such as Motorcraft Premium Fuel
Injector Cleaner, Motorcraft Pressurized Injector Cleaner or Motorcraft Power Flush Injector
Fluid.
 Engine oil system flushing is not a Ford Motor Company approved maintenance procedure
and is considered an unnecessary expense to your customers. Use of chemical/crankcase
flushes can damage the vehicle's engine.
To assist you in growing your needed customer-paid sales, Ford has established very competitive
pricing on key maintenance and wear parts; including brakes, batteries, tires, filters, as well as
many other products. Additionally, we have worked collaboratively with Dealer Council, PSMAC
and the Dealer Advertising Associations to deploy and continually enhance significant Tier I, II
and III service marketing initiatives.
Customer satisfaction, loyalty and retention are more important than ever in today's business
environment. Selling high-quality Ford and Motorcraft products builds customer loyalty to your
dealership and reinforces the brand promise implied by your Ford or Lincoln franchise. The entire
Ford Team stands ready to help you achieve your consumer experience and dealership profit
goals!
Old 02-25-2017, 11:55 AM

Received 627 Likes on 445 Posts

400 dollars? Dear God, I would run (not walk) away from that dealership!

only thing needed at 30k aside from your regular oil change interval would be an air filter.
Old 07-07-2017, 02:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the same thing from my dealer...I called to get a price on a 30k service and some good ol boy tells me "it's around $545." Negative.
Old 07-07-2017, 03:09 PM

Received 254 Likes on 210 Posts

At 30K there is no need to change any fluid except oil (if it's time). Only other thing is air filter and cabin filter like the post above.
Old 07-07-2017, 03:14 PM

Received 1,218 Likes on 623 Posts

Another successful upsell!
Old 07-07-2017, 03:31 PM

Received 863 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by todd92
Another successful upsell!
Unsuccessful. The OP declined it.

Search this Thread