Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3.5 EB- anyone buy the heartthrob 4" cat back?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 12:08 PM
Senile member

Received 1,048 Likes on 732 Posts
Default 3.5 EB- anyone buy the heartthrob 4" cat back?

Just installed it. I've seen reviews where the back hangar doesn't fit all that well. Anyone else find the same?
I probably need to go back and readjust everything but I messed up my shoulder something fierce installing last night in the rain.

Thoughts: This has to be the deepest tone ecoboost exhaust on the market. Even at wide open throttle it never gets high pitched or nasty sounding. I really, really like it.
There's a little bit of drone but I have to figure once I readjust things that'll go away. Even if it doesn't there's enough space on the front pipe to fit a huge magnaflow resonator or something.

Interesting tidbit is the stock y-pipe goes into 2.5" piping. The exhaust doesn't go to 3" until after the big muffler. The stock resonator is a perforated core flow-thru unit...so flow on stock exhaust is pretty good....but 2.5" for a 3.5 twin turbo v6 isn't great, with 470ft-lbs.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:50 PM

Received 496 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by chimmike
Interesting tidbit is the stock y-pipe goes into 2.5" piping. The exhaust doesn't go to 3" until after the big muffler. The stock resonator is a perforated core flow-thru unit...so flow on stock exhaust is pretty good....but 2.5" for a 3.5 twin turbo v6 isn't great, with 470ft-lbs.
Just asking.... On the pipe size, Is this your opinion through tribal knowledge, from general aftermarket practice or is there empirical data to back it up?
Old 06-20-2019, 03:17 PM
Senile member

Originally Posted by Wicked ace
Just asking.... On the pipe size, Is this your opinion through tribal knowledge, from general aftermarket practice or is there empirical data to back it up?
tribal knowledge. But I've owned turbo vehicles before, and IIRC the general rule of thumb is 2.5" is fine for sub-350-400hp, but after than you really want to go 3" or bigger. Ultimately with turbos the least amount of backpressure the better, but making sure wastegates function properly.

https://www.tercelreference.com/terc...st_theory.html
Old 06-20-2019, 08:05 PM

Received 436 Likes on 342 Posts

Size is obviously fine. Notice these things rev almost like a freaking diesel (5,750 rpm). It's all about exhaust volume. If the engine revved to 7K rpm, it'd be a different story. And the 3.5EB has 375HP, so even by your formula, it's okay . You do want some backpressure, since turbos are not on boost all the time.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:18 AM
Senile member

Originally Posted by elptxjc
Size is obviously fine. Notice these things rev almost like a freaking diesel (5,750 rpm). It's all about exhaust volume. If the engine revved to 7K rpm, it'd be a different story. And the 3.5EB has 375HP, so even by your formula, it's okay . You do want some backpressure, since turbos are not on boost all the time.
knowing the stock turbos and how they fall flat on their face at the top of the powerband, I'd have to figure the rev limit (which is still 2krpm higher than diesels) is more related to the fact that usable power ends at or before 5750 so that's where they put it. I don't doubt the 3.5 could handle revving to 6250 or 6500, but it doesn't need to, and the turbos are hair dryers at 5750 anyway. Also, you never want backpressure. Backpressure is never good. You want enough flow to allow for scavenging but if you go too big to allow for scavenging, that's a problem. I've never seen any experts anywhere say "some backpressure is good". That's a myth.
The following 2 users liked this post by chimmike:
elementaltoad (06-24-2019), sholxgt (06-24-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 10:43 AM
Senile member

bump for exposure.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:09 PM

Received 2,130 Likes on 1,216 Posts

The photos and videos I scoured for info showed the Heatthrob front pipe (flanged connector to front of muffler), necked up in size just after the flange.
Heartthrob does list about 7 single catback systems for 2011 to 2018 F150's wonder if there is so much difference between them?

The Pypes system I installed went to 4 inch right after the front pipe flange, used hangers front and back of the muffler and a hanger just aft of the axle. It did need trimming at the over axle connections for the fit I wanted. Still could use some more tweaking but has settled in too well, if I do replace it was heavily considering the Heartthrob. KM
Old 06-24-2019, 01:22 PM
Senile member

This one is meant for 2011+ and has instructions on which pipe to cut, and how much, for each year and wheelbase model. The tone of this outside the truck is fantastic. There's some turbo sound to it, and with the 10sp auto staying below 2000rpm most of the time, it is diesel-esque.

Now the rear hangar fitment sucks, plain and simple. I may cut the hangar metal portion off and reposition an weld it back on to the clamp portion of the hangar myself. I think part of the resonance I'm hearing is the rear hangar is directly contacting the metal heatshield for the spare tire.

And yes, it does neck up in size on the front pipe, but I think it does so from 3" to the 4". I'm gonna run a solid tank of 93 through to see if there really is a power gain. But with it being so damn hot and humid here in FL, I'm not sure there will be.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:49 PM

Received 2,130 Likes on 1,216 Posts

The back hanger is also my concern, it looks like it's likely to slide off or enough to cause clearance trouble. Mine feels tight and has stayed put so may not be something to fuss over.

KM
Old 06-24-2019, 02:21 PM
Senile member

You've got your hangar reversed compared to me, but I went off the photos they provided (which aren't the best either online or black and white on paper, lol)

Do you have any resonance?

Quick Reply: 3.5 EB- anyone buy the heartthrob 4" cat back?