Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3.0 Diesel or 3.5 Ecoboost Pros and Cons?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 09:16 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default 3.0 Diesel or 3.5 Ecoboost Pros and Cons?

I am going to purchase soon and was wondering whats the scoop on the new diesel? I have been planning on the 3.5, but want to see what people think of the Powerstroke.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:21 PM

Received 1,330 Likes on 797 Posts

The ONLY positive advantage I can see for the diesel would be if I were in a situation where gasoline availability were an issue. Otherwise the 3.5 takes pretty much any contest.
The following 2 users liked this post by mikeinatlanta:
tdog02 (06-20-2018), Threeper88 (06-23-2019)
Old 06-18-2018, 09:24 PM

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Diesel doesn’t make sense until you get to superduty. That’s just my .02. What are you going to use it for? I wanted the 3.5 for the higher payload and towing capacity. And I love the sound of the turbos spoiling up.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:35 PM

Received 238 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by jserr68594
I am going to purchase soon and was wondering whats the scoop on the new diesel? I have been planning on the 3.5, but want to see what people think of the Powerstroke.
Very few like the PowerStroke due to blah...

The PowerStroke and the 3.5EB are not really in the weight class IMO. The 3.5EB will our pull anything you want to pull with a half ton.

The PowerStroke is more in line with the 2.7 EB. They both get very similar mileage when you compare diesel vs gas costs. Both are limited to about 7-8k towing when properly equipped. Of course we don’t know the Payload of the diesel cause it will only be in heavy trims and no, as of yet, Payload Package released for it. A 5mpg drop for 4x4, whatever their reasons, was jaw dropping.

I was one one of the few (at least on this site) that was really intrigued by the engine. But Ford seems to have missed the boat on a good diesel option. It’s like they just came out with it to say they have one.

A 4x4 Diesel with 27-28 mpg highway (like the ram) offered with the HDPP with 2k Payload would have had me looking. It would be good for someone who drives a lot of miles and tows 7-8k more than a few times a year. Hard to beat a 2.7 with the Payload Package in a Lariat 502A Package if I was shopping.

Ford will offer more with the diesel as the years go on but it will always be a low take engine IMO due to HOW they brought it to market. Kinda like the Titan XD Cummins was supposed to revolutionize the tweener market and it shows up getting horrid fuel economy and crap for Payload.

The sales team at Ford seem to have weathermen type jobs. Only have to be right half the time.
The following users liked this post:
N4HHE (03-15-2019)
Old 06-18-2018, 10:14 PM

Received 268 Likes on 209 Posts

Do you tow 7k lbs or less on a regular basis? Do you drive a lot of highway miles but still need to tow or haul somewhat regularly?

If yes to either, the baby powerstroke makes sense. If no, then no.

If you tow over 7k regularly especially on the highway you should probably be in a SD.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:40 AM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

It sounds like the 3.5 is the way to go still! Thanks guys!
Old 06-19-2018, 09:51 AM

Received 1,224 Likes on 624 Posts

This is easy:

Diesel advantages: none
Old 06-19-2018, 10:15 AM

Received 95 Likes on 75 Posts

OK so I'm hearing the only advantage is for those who tow less than 7000lbs on the highway regularly. 3.5 is beats it everywhere else and it's arguable that the 2.7 really doesn't have any disadvantages relative to the diesel.

So why did Ford get into the diesel segment? Serious question........either I really don't get it or Ford mistakenly thought there was some profit here. Or we are all fools and F150 diesels will sell in ridiculous numbers.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:42 AM
Blunt

Received 1,074 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by lawndart
OK so I'm hearing the only advantage is for those who tow less than 7000lbs on the highway regularly. 3.5 is beats it everywhere else and it's arguable that the 2.7 really doesn't have any disadvantages relative to the diesel.

So why did Ford get into the diesel segment? Serious question........either I really don't get it or Ford mistakenly thought there was some profit here. Or we are all fools and F150 diesels will sell in ridiculous numbers.
They make good work trucks, especially for field work. People who leave their trucks idling all day will benefit from doing it with a diesel (You don't want to leave a gasser idling all day). You may need to do this because of some equipment you're using, or a CB radio, or to keep cool in summer and warm in the winter, or maybe it's a supervisor or surveyor who drives point to point but sits still for undetermined amounts of time and the truck never shuts off. It's also a benefit at job sites where there is plenty diesel on-site that you can use "for free". Some job sites are also long drives to and from everyday, and mileage on a diesel is nothing. Lastly, it's something that will outlast a gas engine easily, and the cost of diesel that is absorbed into company costs and maintenance sometimes done themselves are far less than the purchase of new trucks.

But is there an advantage to the average person? Not really.

Last edited by BlackBoost; 06-19-2018 at 10:45 AM.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:07 AM

Received 1,224 Likes on 624 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackBoost
They make good work trucks, especially for field work. People who leave their trucks idling all day will benefit from doing it with a diesel (You don't want to leave a gasser idling all day). You may need to do this because of some equipment you're using, or a CB radio, or to keep cool in summer and warm in the winter, or maybe it's a supervisor or surveyor who drives point to point but sits still for undetermined amounts of time and the truck never shuts off. It's also a benefit at job sites where there is plenty diesel on-site that you can use "for free". Some job sites are also long drives to and from everyday, and mileage on a diesel is nothing. Lastly, it's something that will outlast a gas engine easily, and the cost of diesel that is absorbed into company costs and maintenance sometimes done themselves are far less than the purchase of new trucks.

But is there an advantage to the average person? Not really.
The LAST thing you want to do with a modern diesel is idle it extensively. Great way to create DPF issues. A modern gas engine would be better suited to extensive idling.

Quick Reply: 3.0 Diesel or 3.5 Ecoboost Pros and Cons?