Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2x child seats: location & also protection from little savages?

Old 01-09-2019, 12:34 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 2x child seats: location & also protection from little savages?

Well, the co-ed who picks up my kids is going back to begin her spring semester which means I will have to put her set of child seats in the new truck for the first time.

I've bared witness to the utter destruction my two wild animals imparted on my wife's SUV and not about to go down without doing all I can to prevent such a fate for my new (to me) SCrew.

I was thinking of putting their two seats next to each other (driver side & middle), as long as they will fit, so I can at least still lift the passenger side seat if I want. I can't recall ever seeing/noticing anyone else do that so I'm curious if there's a reason I'm not considering. Who knows, I might change my mind after the first road trip of "Daddy, she's touching me!!!", and put some distance between the two.

Also, I'm willing to pay whatever for a purpose designed product to protect the seats. I've already read horror stories about some products that amazingly screw up the seats they're meant to protect. Is there a consensus on the forum of a great protector from the ravages of child seats?

Thanks in advance!

PS: my kids are actually pretty well behaved and mannered - love them... They still can do a number on an interior (whether house or vehicle)!
Old 01-09-2019, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,124 Likes on 2,830 Posts

Just use a towel and no food or drinks in the truck on most occasions. Thats how i was brought up, and if i spilled something i had to clean it up

Last edited by djfllmn; 01-09-2019 at 12:44 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:01 PM

Received 167 Likes on 82 Posts

Last edited by 1sharphook; 01-10-2022 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:06 PM

Received 110 Likes on 75 Posts

The middle is the safest seat position. Who is your favorite? Lol

I think the reason most people don't do that is not all middle seats have anchors so you'd have to use the seatbelt. Which if installed correctly as per the seat manufacturer and vehicle specifications is fine. My infant rides in the middle rear seat of my supercab. But it's easier to use the anchors.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:14 PM

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

I have 2 car seats in the back my Screw (soon to be 3). One is currently on the drivers side using the UAS anchors, and the other one is in the middle using the seat belt. Both seats are fairly wide and they fit side by side no problems and am still able to put up the passenger side seat when needed. For seat protection, i bought a Coverking neoprene seat protector (exact fit for the F150 - purchased from Costco) - it provides some cushion and is waterproof to protect the seats, but you could also use towels (have done that previously).
Old 01-09-2019, 01:35 PM

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Side by side is no problem, I have 3 across the back of mine, but two are high-back boosters, one is a baby bucket, (8, 6, and a 1 month old). Driver and middle works just fine. No LATCH in the middle as others have mentioned. Check LATCH ratings in the owners manual for the driver side - some LATCH are only good up to 40 lb (which includes seat weight), which means once you get past an infant they are pretty useless anyway....doesn't stop people from using LATCH for their 40 lb kid in a 20 lb seat, but whatever.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:38 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Our kids went through 3 minivans and some other vehicles. Every vehicle we've sold (8 years, 11 years, 13 years) looked brand new on the inside.

Tips:

1) Buy a rubber seat protector that goes both under the seat and behind the seat. This stops the car seat from cutting into the fabric or leaving depressions.

2) Limit foods to Cheerios and sippy cups. No juice boxes (squeeze...), no sloppy foods. If necessary, put them apart and put someone between them during feeding time.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:31 PM

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by SSK306
I have 2 car seats in the back my Screw (soon to be 3)...
Originally Posted by shortyjacobs
... I have 3 across the back of mine...
Y'all need to figure out what's causing that (hint: it ain't somethin' in the water), and do something about it.

The following users liked this post:
RGRT421 (01-09-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 02:59 PM

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by YonderSalmon
Y'all need to figure out what's causing that (hint: it ain't somethin' in the water), and do something about it.
3 across is the reason I got an F150 and not an Audi A6, sigh.

I was getting older, and the wife wasn't getting any less insistent on wanting a third.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:58 PM
2018 F150 BLK 3.5TT Fx4

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

You can buy full length universal covers on ebay and amazon for cheap. They have belts that hook around the headrest to keep them up. Id go that route and make small slits to run your anchor straps through.. 3m carpet and upholstery protector is good to spray down if you decide to go a different route and have some of the seat exposed..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2x child seats: location & also protection from little savages?