Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

20's vs 18's / real experience - 2015 F150

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 12:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 20's vs 18's / real experience - 2015 F150

When I first purchased my truck I mistakenly left the lot with an XLT. A mistake that helped in the end.

I was so tired by that point I didn't realize till I was driving away that the truck was lacking some key features I really wanted. I immediately noticed and thought, "awww f*** I'm going to have to go back again. This isn't the truck."

It lacked keyless entry, LED headlamps, 8" driver screen and 4A... how did that salesman get me in this truck. I told him...... sigh. Anyway, it had one thing I like MUCH better. 18" wheels. The night I left the dealership it was nearly blizzard conditions here in Colorado. The truck was TOTALLY on point. Confidence inspiring performance. A few days later I took the XLT back and got the Lariat I have now. Immediately I noticed diminished ride quality. Night and day IMO. It was smoother before when the weather was worse! All over the place in the snow. Hopped and slid. Even dry roads it could not compare.

"Hey, maybe it's the max tow package? Different suspension?", I thought. But to me it made more sense that it would be the 20" wheels. Less rubber, less cushion. -- told later by Ford that the max tow springs don't even engage till she's loaded. So it was definitely the wheels.

Now, I've seen all these reviews on the F150 with the 20" wheels off road. Rave reviews. If they only knew how much better it handles on 18's. The 20's are bouncy and take more time to recover from a bump. 18's feel much smoother in general driving and especially off road. I even aired the 20's down to 35 psi (39 from the dealership) and they still road just terrible by comparison.

This may be bouncier than previous F150's because of the reduction in weight. It's my first F150 so I don't know. I'm just glad that I was able to feel both versions and get the dealership to put 18's on my Lariat (which should have 20's). Now there's an XLT out there with factory 20's... sorry bro. You think they're better but they aren't.

We drove on and off road for about 1200 miles before the dealership was able to get the exact wheels I wanted. (thanks Phil Long, awesome customer service) So I can tell you, those 20's ruin the ride. Maybe with different rubber it would be better, I don't know. It will cost you to find out. Personally, it drove me insane till I got the 18's. So heads up!

Who needs FX4 badges and 20's... show offs.

Saved $1000 and the truck is twice as smooth. If you're in the market, make sure you drive both. Make the dealer give you want you want on the truck you want. They will.

Last edited by CA3LE; 04-19-2015 at 12:52 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by CA3LE:
crockett56 (04-20-2015), nihilus (04-20-2015)
Old 04-19-2015, 01:36 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CA3LE
When I first purchased my truck I mistakenly left the lot with an XLT. A mistake that helped in the end.

I was so tired by that point I didn't realize till I was driving away that the truck was lacking some key features I really wanted. I immediately noticed and thought, "awww f*** I'm going to have to go back again. This isn't the truck."

It lacked keyless entry, LED headlamps, 8" driver screen and 4A... how did that salesman get me in this truck. I told him...... sigh. Anyway, it had one thing I like MUCH better. 18" wheels. The night I left the dealership it was nearly blizzard conditions here in Colorado. The truck was TOTALLY on point. Confidence inspiring performance. A few days later I took the XLT back and got the Lariat I have now. Immediately I noticed diminished ride quality. Night and day IMO. It was smoother before when the weather was worse! All over the place in the snow. Hopped and slid. Even dry roads it could not compare.

"Hey, maybe it's the max tow package? Different suspension?", I thought. But to me it made more sense that it would be the 20" wheels. Less rubber, less cushion. -- told later by Ford that the max tow springs don't even engage till she's loaded. So it was definitely the wheels.

Now, I've seen all these reviews on the F150 with the 20" wheels off road. Rave reviews. If they only knew how much better it handles on 18's. The 20's are bouncy and take more time to recover from a bump. 18's feel much smoother in general driving and especially off road. I even aired the 20's down to 35 psi (39 from the dealership) and they still road just terrible by comparison.

This may be bouncier than previous F150's because of the reduction in weight. It's my first F150 so I don't know. I'm just glad that I was able to feel both versions and get the dealership to put 18's on my Lariat (which should have 20's). Now there's an XLT out there with factory 20's... sorry bro. You think they're better but they aren't.

We drove on and off road for about 1200 miles before the dealership was able to get the exact wheels I wanted. (thanks Phil Long, awesome customer service) So I can tell you, those 20's ruin the ride. Maybe with different rubber it would be better, I don't know. It will cost you to find out. Personally, it drove me insane till I got the 18's. So heads up!

Saved $1000 and the truck is twice as smooth. If you're in the market, make sure you drive both. Make the dealer give you want you want on the truck you want. They will.
Interesting. I was going to buy a set of the 20" chrome Lariat wheels as soon as a decently priced set showed up on Craigslist because I ordered the 18's but like the look of the 20's much better. Will have to rethink that now.

My real question is what's this F150 Laredo trim level you speak of in your sig? Some kind of Jeep/Ford collaboration?
Old 04-19-2015, 02:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"thanks Phil Long, awesome customer service"

If you are in the Springs area, you must have went to the south store...Chapel Hills Phil long has *******s and retards like the sales manager Zach. The south stores great.

Last edited by Teg-84; 04-19-2015 at 02:35 PM.
Old 04-19-2015, 02:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CA3LE

Yes sir same reason I went with 18's on my last 3 F150's just no comparison in ride quality. Dealer always plays the.....think about the resale and I say who cares about the next guy I want something that rides decent!!!!!

20's do look better but at the end of the day it's a truck and the only guy admiring it is the yourself......trucks are everywhere makes it hard to stand out IMO.
Old 04-19-2015, 03:01 PM

Received 178 Likes on 112 Posts

When we bought my wife's Explorer we drove both and noticed the same thing about the lower sidewall 20's vs. the 18's.
I would of got the 17's on my F-150 if the packages I ordered would let me.
I'll bet your salesman hates to see you come in the door.
Old 04-19-2015, 03:04 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

seems a bit dramatic, you make it sound like the truck with 20's is un-drivable. I just got an xlt sport with the 20's and it rides fine. I won't argue that the 18's ride better, but the look is worth the trade off for many.
Old 04-19-2015, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mychalk
Interesting. I was going to buy a set of the 20" chrome Lariat wheels as soon as a decently priced set showed up on Craigslist because I ordered the 18's but like the look of the 20's much better. Will have to rethink that now.

My real question is what's this F150 Laredo trim level you speak of in your sig? Some kind of Jeep/Ford collaboration?
I'd seriously go take a long test drive of one on 20's before you commit to them. They drove me insane.

Like I said, with different rubber on those wheels it may have been a different story. I wasn't willing to spend the extra money to find out.

If you like to 4x4, smaller diameter wheels are better. If you don't 4x4... why did you get a 4x4?

I didn't think the difference would be so dramatic but it was. Off roading was uncomfortable and I felt like the tires left the ground a lot. With the 18's, it's a totally different story. Very nice, on and off-road.

The snow is where the difference was most apparent. The 18's with Goodyear Wranglers...... FUN! Full control kind of fun. First night I took that XLT out in some really deep (3-4' at times) and slippery stuff. Turning at speed I thought, "This is what I've been looking for! This truck is made for Colorado!" -- few days later, still plenty of snow and ice all around, I get the Lariat with 20's. LAME!!! Super lame. Felt out of control by comparison. Then, the vibration as you hit the smallest bumps started to get to me... like someone was in the back seat flicking my ear every two seconds. It took part of the joy out of an awesome vehicle. Maybe it's the roads out here but my wife's Audi isn't like that (and it has sport suspension) and I surely expect a $60K truck to ride at least as good as the $50K truck I took home the first time. As soon as I switched to the 18's .... AHHHHhhhhhh. 100% improvement.

Hope this experience helps others. --- the thing with my deal is that I test drove one truck then took delivery of another with 20's without first test driving it. Don't assume it will drive the same, it doesn't... at all. Luckily the dealer was awesome in this case and made a happy customer.

I used to be a Jeep guy, which is why I made the Laredo typo. lol LAR-I-A-T, there we go.
Old 04-19-2015, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by buzzin 1/2 dozen
When we bought my wife's Explorer we drove both and noticed the same thing about the lower sidewall 20's vs. the 18's.
I would of got the 17's on my F-150 if the packages I ordered would let me.
I'll bet your salesman hates to see you come in the door.
Yeah, they hate me for sure. That's how you know you got the best deal. -- guarantee they'll be my best friends when it's time to sell me again.

Originally Posted by DetroitPE
seems a bit dramatic, you make it sound like the truck with 20's is un-drivable. I just got an xlt sport with the 20's and it rides fine. I won't argue that the 18's ride better, but the look is worth the trade off for many.
Don't get me wrong, it was awesome either way. If you haven't felt the difference it may not be an issue. I started driving on 18's so when I took delivery of one with 20's it was like, "What?! This isn't what I fell in love with."

The difference... on the roads here and going off road IS dramatic. You just haven't had anything to compare it to.
Old 04-19-2015, 03:16 PM

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Was not impressed with the Phil Long's in Denver.....ended up @ Loveland Ford Lincoln & so far other than the financing guy being a total tool bag they have been good to us.

Our Lariat came with 275/65R 18 OWL All Terrain's & 18 chrome like pvd wheels and the tires ain't very good on snow/ice/slush.....
Old 04-19-2015, 03:21 PM

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

I wish I had a choice of tire size but I did not. For every purpose for which I own a truck, 18" wheels are superior to the 20" wheels I have. Ever larger diameter wheels and ever diminishing sidewalls are a triumph of marketing and group think over common sense.
The following users liked this post:
buzzin 1/2 dozen (04-19-2015)

Quick Reply: 20's vs 18's / real experience - 2015 F150