Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2019 3.5 Ecoboost off throttle rattle when cold

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 07:57 PM

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts
Default 2019 3.5 Ecoboost off throttle rattle when cold

Hey Forum, I know there are other threads about this topic, but there was several versions et various informations. I’ll try recap everything:

- Initialy reported to 5.0 engines only, it happened when tipping off the throttle in Neutral or Park at very low RPM
- Then there was a TSB 18-2354 in November 2018 related to 5.0 engines only. A new software available.
- Several folks had the new software installed as per the TSB. They noticed the rattle noise does not occur anymore in Neutral or Park, but in Drive instead.
- As soon as the engine temperature rises a bit, no more noise.
- Few folks reported the same noise on 3.5 EB as well, despite there is no TSB for the EB.
- My 2019 3.5EB has the rattle noise with cold engine as soon as Release the throttle with a cold engine. I assume I have the latest software installed, because no noise at all in Neutral or Park.
- Many of us complaint to dealers, parts has been replaced (phasers, VCT solenoid, etc) with no improvement.
- Few reported the noise is a programmed behavior: a patented algorithm commanding the VCT solenoid on and off quickly in order to clean the solenoid strainer.

So this is it ! What do we do now? Does anyone
have more information to share? Can anyone can confirm about the programmed solenoid cleaning process, then we could stop bringing our trucks in shop for weeks and replacing parts for nothing...

Thank you !

Last edited by Nicklaus; 05-18-2019 at 08:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mathieu Goulet (07-20-2020)
Old 05-18-2019, 09:48 PM

Received 705 Likes on 547 Posts

Could it be the water evap from the exhaust drain holes it does make a slight rattle noise.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:59 PM

I’m talking about this very noise....

Old 05-18-2019, 10:21 PM

Wow never heard that one
Old 05-18-2019, 10:24 PM

. Beware...this video has been recorded by some dude in Neutral, opened hood, close to the engine.
As a previously sais in post #1, more recent trucks (or reprogrammed trucks) only does it in Drive....meaning the sound is muffled somehow closed hood while truck is moving. So It is more subtle...
Old 05-18-2019, 11:17 PM

Have you checked this thread

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/2018-...434805/index8/
Nicklaus (05-19-2019)
Old 05-19-2019, 12:15 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been following these threads as well, for my 2018 3.5. I've been fairly diligently listening to the engine on start ups and worried about that clacking sound showing up.

Cold starts have been good, until recently at 8500kms, I did notice more of a rattling noise on start up (but not like the sound in the video above, more like the sound of the timing chain rubbing on the guides or gears with too much slack/ improper tension and it lasts for 30 seconds or so when the engines cold).

Since I'm hearing this new noise, and it could be timing system related, I figure maybe I'll try to see if it will make that clack clack noise (exactly like the video above). So cold engine, fire up, put it in drive and hold the brake, tap the gas pedal slightly, and yep, now my engine is doing the exact same clack clack noise as the video above when off throttle. But so far I've only heard it with a cold engine and the sound has something to echo off like a solid wall or big truck parked beside me. I haven't heard it while driving, but it could potentially be doing it.

Unfortunately I don't have an answer for you in regards to solving this, but I'm in the same situation. I don't believe it will lead to a catastrophic failure and there haven't been any reports of that so I'm trying to not to worry about it too much (my 3.5 clacking niose is also much less pronounced than the videos I've seen). My plan was to monitor whats happening with the issue with others, and monitor if the sound on mine changes at all, and possibly bring it up with the dealer on my next servicing.
Nicklaus (05-19-2019)
Old 05-19-2019, 08:34 AM

Thank you all for the feed backs. I wonder, if Ford was able to fix (or change) the off throtle noise on 5.0 engines with a new software program (TSB 18-2354), well I suppose it is an expected noise, or a normal noise ( I hate to say this). It does not mean that we like it !

Like 5Lgreenback said it, I have too to listen carefully, windows down with echo from a solid wall to be able to hear it. However, it does it, each time, under the specified conditions (see post #1).

I guess I'll monitor it too. What would be nice for all of us would be to hear back from a Ford authority stating what is causing that sound and if there is a problem to solve or not. I hope to read it soon.

Old 05-19-2019, 06:53 PM

Received 107 Likes on 74 Posts

I have this noise in mine as well. I can tell you that its loud enough i can hear it with windows up, while driving. So it's not just a close up with the engine cover off type of thing.

I'll let it do it's thing as Ford doesn't seem to concerned with it. I've got 5 year 100,000km for it to explode and get a free engine
Nicklaus (05-19-2019)
Old 05-19-2019, 07:11 PM

I wonder if someone noticed a change following an oil change with different brand/grade?

Louder? Quieter? Gone?

Quick Reply: 2019 3.5 Ecoboost off throttle rattle when cold