Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 LTE hotspot - use without having to turn truck on?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 10:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question 2018 LTE hotspot - use without having to turn truck on?

Hi all,

I did search on the forum and found nothing about this.

y question is to know if there is any way to turn the hotspot on while I’m around the truck for work usage, like laptop, etc.

actually, the only way I found is to turn the truck on without starting the engine. This consume lot more energy from the battery.

I have the smartkey FOB and a lariat, so I don’t have the accessories on the key.

I also tried to turn the radio ON with the radio power button, don’t work.

any idea?

Thanks you all for your help.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:10 PM

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts

You need to turn the truck on. The hotspot is not part of the radio, it's a modue on the back wall (passenger side) of the truck.

To turn on the accessories with the smatkey, just push the start button, without your foot on the brake.

At the end of the day you are just better off using your phone as the hotspot or getting a dedicated hotspot.
The following users liked this post:
BCMIF150 (02-12-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by tbinmd
You need to turn the truck on. The hotspot is not part of the radio, it's a modue on the back wall (passenger side) of the truck.

To turn on the accessories with the smatkey, just push the start button, without your foot on the brake.

At the end of the day you are just better off using your phone as the hotspot or getting a dedicated hotspot.

Your are probably right about the way it work, but honestly, this could be more pratical than using my phone. It will drain my phone battery so fast. Also, the truck have a better signal where I need it.

I’ll keep an eye on this

thanks!
Old 02-12-2018, 09:47 PM

Received 219 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by daviddesmeules

Your are probably right about the way it work, but honestly, this could be more pratical than using my phone. It will drain my phone battery so fast. Also, the truck have a better signal where I need it.

I’ll keep an eye on this

thanks!
I’m not sure what carrier Ford uses but I’m sure someone here does. You could always find the carrier, and then switch cell providers since you know(kinda) which works where you need it.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:58 PM

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenandGold831
I’m not sure what carrier Ford uses but I’m sure someone here does. You could always find the carrier, and then switch cell providers since you know(kinda) which works where you need it.
Ford is using AT&T

https://myvehicle.att.com/#/Ford/learn
Old 02-12-2018, 10:16 PM

Received 78 Likes on 46 Posts

AT&T
Old 02-13-2018, 06:30 AM

yes, but I’m living in canada. I was able to activate the US package for the unlimited data on the truck at 20$/month. This is not available for the cellphone here. This is very interesting and useful.

My other option is to check if I can power up the modem with a swtich or something like this.

Old 02-13-2018, 06:54 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by daviddesmeules

yes, but I’m living in canada. I was able to activate the US package for the unlimited data on the truck at 20$/month. This is not available for the cellphone here. This is very interesting and useful.

My other option is to check if I can power up the modem with a swtich or something like this.

Unlimited for $20 a month? Wouldn't you get hit with roaming charges? I'm from Canada as well, would you mind sharing how you were able to obtain this and is there any commitment ?
Old 02-13-2018, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by greedyhogger
Unlimited for $20 a month? Wouldn't you get hit with roaming charges? I'm from Canada as well, would you mind sharing how you were able to obtain this and is there any commitment ?

the package work everywhere in usa and canada, no matter where you buy it.

you simply need an address in usa, add it to approved address with your credit card and purchase a prepaid/renewable data package with at&t usa.

they don’t really care for now.

I asked the ladie at the customer service before, ans she told me there is no surprise.
I’ll test it a bit more, but now... nothing bad to say.

sorry, the pictures are in french, but you can see... unlimited and I live in canada

Last edited by daviddesmeules; 02-13-2018 at 07:26 AM. Reason: Added pict...

Quick Reply: 2018 LTE hotspot - use without having to turn truck on?