Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 Loaner - What I notice from 2016 (Would I upgrade?)

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 12:48 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Post 2018 Loaner - What I notice from 2016 (Would I upgrade?)

I'm having my steering wheel replaced under warranty for unusual wear (2016 with only 25k miles) they suck. Anyways I was put in a 2018 XLT Sport like my 2016 only this was a 2.7 whereas I have a 5.0. Here are some of my takes:

1) Seats: I first noticed this when getting in. The sides of the seat hug the torso much more than my 2016. I would also argue they were much more comfortable as they appeared to be thicker the headrests definitely were thicker. The tire tracks going down the centers are tacky in my opinion.

2) Transmission: I was hesitant about the 10 speed but have liked it so far. Pleasantly surprised with the smoothness while no lack on get up and go although that could also be different for the 5.0. I also noticed they removed 1 and 2 from the PRNDM letters underneath the gauges.

3) Lights: Tail lights look much better than previous year models and I did like the stamped tailgate. I love performance and looks of LED so no surprise that the halogen headlights were a disappointment but thats an easy fix. In fact I recently came across a new aftermarket LED set up being produced for 2018+ halogens, I cant find a pic but look up "The Retrofit Source" on Facebook. The video will be a few down. It reminds me of a vertical bugatti setup with 4 stacked projectors and a cool outline. Definitely worth looking at. Pricing has yet to be determined.

4) Smell: NEW CAR, cant beat it. Miss it.

5) Steering Wheel: Since that is what I'm getting my truck serviced for, I would like to mention that the new one felt just as crappy. The loaner has 1200 miles and the threads are already fraying. They really need to find a middle ground for this lacking but necessary component.

6) CUP HOLDERS: My god, I knew previous years weren't great at all but I did not realize how bad. I will be seeking to replace my current ones with the part number for new ones if possible. The new ones actually hold water bottles and don't tip stuff over left and right. They seem much deeper as well. Bravo to Ford acknowledging this and making it right.

7) Other: all (p)leather inside (shifter, etc.) seems more smooth now, not as textured. USB hub in console drawer under AC controls are positioned left which makes sense and seems more convenient. New driving modes (snow/rain and eco but didnt get to use). USB ports for rear seats, convenient! HATE HATE HATE auto start/stop but is able to be disabled which is nice but annoying you have to do it yourself.

Anyways, hopes this helps! Small but noticeable. Please shame me if I buy a 2018 jsut for cupholders and Retrofit Source Morimoto aftermarkets headlights, I would deserve it haha! But in all seriousness, I probably wouldnt purchase yet. The other trucks brands are making very minor but noticeable and easily doable changes that ford will have to catch up to in my opinion. The 2019 sierra's new tailgate system is genius, I also like the seat storage in the backing of the seat. 2019 Ram's reclining rear seats, floorboard storage and infotainment screen knock ford as well. Lots of competition coming up but whats nice is we will all benefit eventually!
The following users liked this post:
grimslade (03-02-2018)
Old 03-02-2018, 12:51 PM
Large Member

Received 709 Likes on 458 Posts

wait, they gave you a truck with led headlights as a loaner? im lucky if i get a mid-level focus.
Old 03-02-2018, 12:54 PM

Received 195 Likes on 153 Posts

I would upgrade for two reasons. The 10 speed tranny and Sync 3. There is nothing else I don't like about my 2015. I don't even mind the 6 speed on the 2.7. It gets great gas mileage. 19-20 City and 24.5 hwy.

Give the start stop a chance. Slow down going from the brake to gas pedal. You get used to it. I don't even notice mine half the time.
Old 03-02-2018, 12:54 PM

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

Honestly, outside of a major difference between trucks that close together in "age", I don't understand how/why people justify getting new vehicles every 2 to 3 years. I cam from an 07 to a 15. Leaps and bounds! The stuff you're talking about is pretty minimal (10 speed could be argued). I'm glad you at least recognize your insanity.
Old 03-02-2018, 12:58 PM

Received 700 Likes on 441 Posts

DO IT!!! trade yours right there on the spot for a 18
Old 03-02-2018, 01:04 PM

There is a USB module you can purchase to replace yours and then use a USB with SYNC 3 update downloaded (if this is what you are talking about). Its cheap and you will have apple car play/ android auto. Do some digging on the forum, there are many guides on how to!
Old 03-02-2018, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by SCrewYou
wait, they gave you a truck with led headlights as a loaner? im lucky if i get a mid-level focus.
I wish! My current 2016 has aftermarket LEDs. I was just stating my bias about the new headlights!
SCrewYou (03-02-2018)
Old 03-02-2018, 02:19 PM

Received 555 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by SCrewYou
Thats the difference between a smart dealer and not so smart dealer. A lot of dealers will loan you a nicer newer vehicle to entice you to trade up and it works
swampvol (03-02-2018)
Old 03-02-2018, 03:01 PM

Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

I need more information on these cup holders!
Old 03-02-2018, 04:09 PM
Mall crawler

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Stever39
I need more information on these cup holders!
Yea. What up?

Quick Reply: 2018 Loaner - What I notice from 2016 (Would I upgrade?)