Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 Lariat - strange steering

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 01:33 PM

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 2018 Lariat - strange steering

Last night I proudly picked up my new 2018 Lariat that I ordered about 12 weeks ago. Ingot Silver Lariat Supercab, 501A, FX4, 5.0, 355 e-locker, chrome package, 20" PVD wheels, trailer brake, over size fuel tank, spray in bed liner, mud flaps, etc..... It's the first time in my 53 years that I got to order just what I wanted, I was very excited to say the least!

First thing I noticed leaving the dealership was the strange steering behavior this truck exhibits. Almost immediately it tried to cross the center line on a short stretch of road where I have never had an issue with any of my other vehicles. It felt like I had to somewhat fight to keep it in my own lane, then all at once it felt normal, and then suddenly felt like to was going towards the shoulder.

Also seems like it takes a lot of effort to correct the steering, very inconsistent feel, heavy resistance, light resistance heavy resistance, pulling, then not pulling; all on the same completely straight and smooth stretch of road. I also noticed this behavior this morning on my 45 mile all highway commute to work. Though it did not seem as bad as when I left the dealership.

Is this normal for the new Electronic steering systems to feel/drive this way? This truck feels like I really have work to drive it, and keep it in my own lane.

I did a forum search and came up with some needing re-flashed type issues from a couple of years ago, have these not been solved by now?

My 2011 F150 was one of the absolute best driving vehicles I have ever owned. The 2011 drove really easy and rarely pulled either direction, barring really off camber roadways or a really strong cross wind.

I love everything else about my new truck, the looks, the comfort, the creature features, gadgets, etc...

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Griffbones; 01-17-2018 at 11:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
smilin bob (08-13-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 02:37 PM

Received 700 Likes on 441 Posts

You probably have the steering aids on and thats why you are feeling what you do! READ the Manual--with all these fancy features we have, one must read the manual at least once--

Last edited by icecoldak; 01-17-2018 at 02:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
chimmike (01-18-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 03:00 PM

Received 1,139 Likes on 713 Posts

Do you have lane keep assist? If so it may be intervening when you try to cross the centerline.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:17 PM

Received 290 Likes on 169 Posts

It certainly sounds like your lane keep assist is on. If it isn't then you have a problem and need to bring it back right away.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:22 PM

Received 700 Likes on 441 Posts

And when you do want to change lanes, use your blinker and it will momentary disable them and you will not feel the resistance, but if you do not use your blinkers you will feel it all the time!!
Old 01-17-2018, 06:22 PM

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

My '17 XT Scab STX w/20" wheels does the same thing, worst steering truck (or car) I have ever owned. No BLIS or lane keeping assist, I believe the problem is the electronically controlled steering, its just not direct, its does not stay on center, seems to be always directing the truck one way or the other.

Got about 5k miles on it, been meaning to bring it into the dealership but I'm dreading going there.

Added Bilteins, Hellwig sway bars and AAL leaf springs (+ alignment) and it improved the overall handling but the steering vagueness and tendency to wander did not go away.

The inconsistency of it is very annoying, as the PO pointed out. Consumer Reports described the steering as especially vague in their tests and they were right.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:24 PM

Received 290 Likes on 169 Posts

Interesting. That doesn't describe the experience with my 2018 Lariat at all. The steering is great. Precise, doesn't wander or drift at all.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:32 PM

Received 92 Likes on 57 Posts

I've had no issues at all with my 2018. Rock steady steering.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:45 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Originally Posted by Griffbones
Last night I proudly picked up my new 2018 Lariat that I ordered about 12 weeks ago. Ingot Silver Lariat Supercab, 501A, FX4, 355 e-locker, chrome package, 20" PVD wheels, trailer brake, over size fuel tank, spray in bed liner, mud flaps, etc..... It's the first time in my 53 years that I got to order just what I wanted, I was very excited to say the least!

First thing I noticed leaving the dealership was the strange steering behavior this truck exhibits. Almost immediately it tried to cross the center line on a short stretch of road where I have never had an issue with any of my other vehicles. It felt like I had to somewhat fight to keep it in my own lane, then all at once it felt normal, and then suddenly felt like to was going towards the shoulder.

Also seems like it takes a lot of effort to correct the steering, very inconsistent feel, heavy resistance, light resistance heavy resistance, pulling, then not pulling; all on the same completely straight and smooth stretch of road. I also noticed this behavior this morning on my 45 mile all highway commute to work. Though it did not seem as bad as when I left the dealership.

Is this normal for the new Electronic steering systems to feel/drive this way? This truck feels like I really have work to drive it, and keep it in my own lane.

I did a forum search and came up with some needing re-flashed type issues from a couple of years ago, have these not been solved by now?

My 2011 F150 was one of the absolute best driving vehicles I have ever owned. The 2011 drove really easy and rarely pulled either direction, barring really off camber roadways or a really strong cross wind.

I love everything else about my new truck, the looks, the comfort, the creature features, gadgets, etc...

Thanks in advance.
Since it's a 501a, it would not have the Tech package which includes the Lane Keep assist. That is what was updated on mine to correct issues with the drift compensation. What you are experiencing is pretty much what I was experiencing in mine. If you tug left on the wheel, it would hold a left pull, regardless of crown, and if you tug right it would pull right. It did it all by itself on bumps, left, right, left right, which is very annoying while towing.

Since mine is a 2016, the SSM would not apply, but you might want to use it when you bring it in, and I would bring it in right away before you get thoroughly pissed at the truck and start hating it like I do mine.

SSM 45685 has been superseeded by SSM 45996

Effective Aug 12 2016 2015-2016 F-150 - Steering Pull/Drift/Wander - No Diagnostic Trouble Codes - Built On Or Before 9/24/2015

SSM 46924

Lane Keeping System (LKS) – Vibration/Steering Pull or Drift Concerns – 2013-2018 Ford & Lincoln

oemdtc May 23, 2017 Info
SSM 46924 – 2013-2018 – Various Vehicles – Lane Keeping System (LKS) – Vibration/Steering Pull or Drift Concerns
2013-2018 vehicles equipped with a LKS system with customer complaints of steering wheel vibration, steering pull or vehicle drift may be due to an alert and/or steering aid input from the LKS.

The LKS system detects unintentional drifting toward the outside of the lane and alerts and/or aids vehicle to stay in the lane.
Be sure the customer understands how the lane departure warning feature settings work for Alert (steering wheel vibration) and Aid (steering input toward lane center).
Further information on the LKS can be found in the owner’s manual.
If the customer’s concern is due to the LKS functioning as intended, do not attempt to repair.

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/2015-...6/#post5613364

Old 01-17-2018, 08:06 PM

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

I had the same problems on the way home from work tonight.
F451, I agree, it acts exactly as you have descried. I have to say you absolutely nailed the symptoms I am experiencing.

acdii, thank you for the information. Both of you guy's are giving me the kind of informational support I was hoping for! Glad I posted here!

This truck does not have the lane keep system nor is it equipped with adjustable steering settings/aids. This is just a 501A Lariat. Manual reads like there would be a switch on the instrument cluster? Physical or virtual it does not state, but this truck does not appear to have the steering aids settings menus or any kind of switch.

I have read the manual front to back, actually downloaded the .pdf a few weeks ago before the truck arrived so I could be familiar before the truck got here.

Up side, my wife and I love our new 2018 Fusion Titanium, and it drives really nice! (actually it's more my wife's car)

Either way here is a photo of the new truck, it looks great. I have always been a super cab guy, I know most prefer crew cabs, but this cab style and the 6.5" bed fits my needs the best. I really hope the dealer can do something about this, even though I am dreading to start this process with them.

Last edited by Griffbones; 01-17-2018 at 08:10 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Griffbones:
F451 (01-18-2018), grimslade (01-22-2018), jim_87 (01-18-2018)

Quick Reply: 2018 Lariat - strange steering