Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 Heavy Duty Payload vibration at highway speed

Old 08-09-2018, 05:29 PM

Received 156 Likes on 112 Posts
Default 2018 Heavy Duty Payload vibration at highway speed

All,

I recently took ownership of a brand new 2018 Lariat Heavy Duty payload package screw. The truck has a subtle but very annoying vibration at 70-80 mph. If my water bottle is in the cup holder it turns the water surface to chop. Even my wife commented on the slight shake, and all she does to solve car issues is to turn the radio up higher.

I just completed my first dealer visit. I took a service guy out for a ride and replicated it. He checked the tires and found the rear passenger tire “defective”. He also felt the same shock was “weak.” Today Ford replaced the tire with a brand new one (build date 2015, which I’m not happy about but Ford claims is fine) and a new shock.

On my drive home the truck continued to vibrate. I’m following up tomorrow to investigate further. The mechanic already tried the “are you sure it’s not the heavy duty shocks you’re feeling” but the vibration only happens on smooth highway.

Can any HDPP owners confirm you ride is smooth? In fact, could you take a Poland spring and shoot a quick video like mine below? My 2016 XLT was smooth as glass. My HDPP has the stock Goodyear Wrangler Adventure tires, which are an all terrain.

Thanks for the help. My 2016 was a lemon and this truck was my replacement vehicle... and I feel like i am right back in the ringer.

Lou
Attached Files

Last edited by Sweetlou; 08-09-2018 at 05:34 PM.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:29 PM

Received 222 Likes on 151 Posts

Well see, there's your problem...you're measuring your speed in metric units. USA units in MPH are much smoother...

Sorry. Not to make light of your problem, your description and video suggests that the vibration is coming thru the driveline, i.e., rear wheels (felt thru the floor and seat) as opposed to the front wheels (felt more thru the steering wheel). Could be a bad wheel balance, a bad tire balance, an out-of-round wheel and/or tire (you can check radial and lateral run-out on both using crude tools at home), or a drive shaft that's out of balance. If Ford can't find a satisfactory fix, take it to a reputable tire shop and have them do some tests. Insist they do a RoadForce balance, which measures radial out-of-balance and radial runout in combination, nearly identical to what your tire does on the truck while driving. Try swapping the wheels from L to R side and front to back to see if the shimmy changes. I would bet a LOT OF MONEY that it's NOT frame related. I'm with you--I HATE a truck that vibrates at speed!

Last edited by icantdrive55; 08-09-2018 at 10:33 PM.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:40 PM

Received 534 Likes on 392 Posts

Go to Discount Tire and pay for a balance and radial force check. I believe the radial force check is available on all of their machines now. You should make a point for the technician to write down the actual numbers vice telling you they are in specification (26 lbs P and 30 lbs LT). I will not accept a tire if the radial force is over 15 lbs. (P or LT rated). It will resolve the tire issue and you have a lifetime rotation and balance included for free.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:47 PM

Received 222 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by GMC to Ford
Go to Discount Tire and pay for a balance and radial force check. I believe the radial force check is available on all of their machines now. You should make a point for the technician to write down the actual numbers vice telling you they are in specification (26 lbs P and 30 lbs LT). I will not accept a tire if the radial force is over 15 lbs. (P or LT rated). It will resolve the tire issue and you have a lifetime rotation and balance included for free.
Pretty sure the service you're referring to is called RoadForce balance...nit-picky, I know. If large heavy tires like we have on our trucks can be balanced down to below 15, that would be awesome. If I remember correctly, that's the upper limit for a passenger car tire. If I got a measure near 15 on my truck wheels/tires, I'd be pretty damn happy.
Old 08-10-2018, 02:07 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Does it vary with speed at all, 100% not engine rpm? All rotating parts after the transmission would be suspect, driveline, wheel balance, connected parts like suspension although less likely. The video shows a lot of movement assuming perfect pavement, I'd be thinking something along the lines of driveline or wheels would be most likely... Probably rear if not felt through the steering wheel.
Old 08-10-2018, 04:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've also been chasing a mystery vibration on my truck. Try checking your driveline angles. On my truck the output shaft on the t/case and the pinion angle are 5 degrees different. These two need to be as close as parallel as possible or your u-joints must compensate for the difference. I have a set of shims at home ready to try and correct the angle, just waiting on my gorilla lugs to come in and the time to get the job done.
Old 08-10-2018, 05:56 AM

Received 156 Likes on 112 Posts

Ford has already rebalanced twice, replaced a tire they thought was defective, and now it’s on me to continue to push the issue with them. I really don’t want to go spending my own money to balance, although I’m assuming it would be money spent on peace of mind.

What I am really looking for is another member with a heavy duty payload to post a similar video, at 75 mph, showing a water bottle NOT vibrating like crazy.

Thank you in advance
Old 08-10-2018, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by icantdrive55
Pretty sure the service you're referring to is called RoadForce balance...nit-picky, I know. If large heavy tires like we have on our trucks can be balanced down to below 15, that would be awesome. If I remember correctly, that's the upper limit for a passenger car tire. If I got a measure near 15 on my truck wheels/tires, I'd be pretty damn happy.
LT285/55R20 Load Range E Yokohama Geolandar on my truck. Road Force measurements were 7, 9, 13 and 14 lbs. Of the first 4 tires check, one was 26 lbs. and I told them to try another one. The replacement was 9 lbs. GMs replacement criteria (not sure about Ford) for vibration complaints on tires is 15 lbs.

I have a set of BFGoodrich LT275/60R20 Load D that I tried out. Road force measurements were 7, 7, 14, and 14 lbs.

Last edited by GMC to Ford; 08-10-2018 at 07:46 AM.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:40 AM

Double post. Deleted.

Last edited by GMC to Ford; 08-10-2018 at 07:45 AM.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Sweetlou
Ford has already rebalanced twice, replaced a tire they thought was defective, and now it’s on me to continue to push the issue with them. I really don’t want to go spending my own money to balance, although I’m assuming it would be money spent on peace of mind.

What I am really looking for is another member with a heavy duty payload to post a similar video, at 75 mph, showing a water bottle NOT vibrating like crazy.

Thank you in advance
I understand not paying to balance. However, you will need to rebalance in the future at your expense. The dealership rotates for free, but will not balance for free. Discount Tire offers a troubleshooting option and you get lifetime rotation and balancing for a one time expense. In my experience, very few dealerships have the ability to check road force measurements.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2018 Heavy Duty Payload vibration at highway speed