Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 harsh 4x4 engagement

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 harsh 4x4 engagement

Thanks for welcoming me to the Forum. I purchased a 2018 f150 supercab stx 4x4 with the 2.7 EB. The first time I engaged 4H I was rolling about 4 mph with my foot off of the excellerator. I noticed a pretty noticeable and in my opinion excessive thunk noise from the engagement. I since tried this several more times where it has made the same noise, sometimes worse than others. This is only with engagement and drives perfect in 4H. Also, it makes only a solenoid “click” noise while the truck isn’t in motion, NO THUNK. I researched the issue and haven’t found anything regarding this noise on any new trucks. I called ford on my way home from work where they say it is normal to have noise. The manual itself states that noise is expected in a round-about way. So since this has happened, I have simply been engaging at a rest only. I’m very tedious and careful with my things and it burns my you know what that I attempted replicating the noise successfully about 10 times trying to diagnose the noise and “pattern” it. I can operate the truck happily by stopping to engage 4x4 first. But now I’m afraid I’ve done damage to some components and that kills me. On that note I also don’t want to have Joe Shmoe from the dealership go play with my 4x4 and add more wear to the system, to find out that it is indeed “normal”. I find it hard to believe that everyone else’s truck is doing this because i think there would be many more forums explaining this. Thank you so much for your time. I really do appreciate it.

Quick Reply: 2018 harsh 4x4 engagement