Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 F150 STX 2.7 eco low oil pressure trouble

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 08:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 2018 F150 STX 2.7 eco low oil pressure trouble

I just bought my new Ff150 STX 4x4 and put 1600 miles on it when I brought it to the dealer to get the first oil change done.
A day later my truck gets check engine light on and low oil pressure warning plus lost acceleration.
I bring it to ford dealer who did the oil change and they told me we just reset the computer and you are fine now the reason truck wasn't running good because it was in a failsafe mode but on my way home from dealer same problem.
I read about the older 2.7 ecoboost engines having to be replaced because of a similar issue.
The truck is currently at the dealer awaiting a diagnoses.
I was just wondering if anyone has had this issue?
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks in advance

Last edited by Harley Ron; 04-01-2018 at 08:29 AM. Reason: grammer
Old 04-01-2018, 08:35 AM

Received 137 Likes on 86 Posts

Well.. first i would pull the crankcase dipstick and check the oil level. After that, you have done your due diligence as the operator. Could be: what it looks like from an oil pump or spun bearing; an oil pressure sensor, a main cap not assembled correctly.. good luck!
Old 04-01-2018, 08:36 AM
Gone Golfin

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,391 Posts

Your problem sounds like the dealer forgot to put oil (or at least the right amount) back in. Resetting the codes doesn't fix the problem.

Have you checked the oil level?
Old 04-01-2018, 09:01 AM

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm curious why you changed the oil after only 1600 miles.
Old 04-01-2018, 12:52 PM

Default Thanks for the replies

I checked to oil it looked perfect to me, I am a big fan of dumping the original oil pretty quick after break in, I know it says just follow the maintanence schedule but im a little finatic plus its so inexpensive to do. Hopefully ill find out omething tomorrow, thanks for your responses.
Old 04-01-2018, 01:05 PM
Size Matters

Received 3,360 Likes on 1,698 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley Ron
I just bought my new Ff150 STX 4x4 and put 1600 miles on it when I brought it to the dealer to get the first oil change done.
A day later my truck gets check engine light on and low oil pressure warning plus lost acceleration.
I bring it to ford dealer who did the oil change and they told me we just reset the computer and you are fine now the reason truck wasn't running good because it was in a failsafe mode but on my way home from dealer same problem.
I read about the older 2.7 ecoboost engines having to be replaced because of a similar issue.
Thanks in advance
I hope someone at the dealership does their due diligence before condemning an engine that may not have any defect. I would like to know what DTC was stored in the PCM. P0521 is for the Engine OIl Pressure circuit.

SSM 47072 - 2018 Various Vehicles - Illuminated Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) With Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P0521

Some 2018 F-150, Expedition, and Navigator vehicles may exhibit an illuminated MIL with DTC P0521 stored in powertrain control module (PCM) usually after a crank, no-start event. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 303-14 for normal diagnostics. If unable to determine root cause, do not attempt any repairs. Engineering is investigating, monitor OASIS for updates.
Old 04-01-2018, 01:30 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks in advance
Wonder if they did not install the filter correctly. If the level is fine that is where I would look next.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:20 PM

Default Round 2 with the Ford dealer they told me exactly this

Originally Posted by tmcolegr
I hope someone at the dealership does their due diligence before condemning an engine that may not have any defect. I would like to know what DTC was stored in the PCM. P0521 is for the Engine OIl Pressure circuit.

SSM 47072 - 2018 Various Vehicles - Illuminated Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) With Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P0521

Some 2018 F-150, Expedition, and Navigator vehicles may exhibit an illuminated MIL with DTC P0521 stored in powertrain control module (PCM) usually after a crank, no-start event. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 303-14 for normal diagnostics. If unable to determine root cause, do not attempt any repairs. Engineering is investigating, monitor OASIS for updates.
Ford dealer called me today to pick up truck, before I left parking lot engine light came on, now im pissed. The service director came out and told me he looked up the issue and Ford is stating there is no fix right now. I said ok then Ford has to give me another new truck. He said to leave it and he will call Ford engineering tomorrow. I am so pissed because now I dont trust this truck.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:37 PM

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Ford dealer called me today to pick up truck, before I left parking lot engine light came on, now im pissed. The service director came out and told me he looked up the issue and Ford is stating there is no fix right now. I said ok then Ford has to give me another new truck. He said to leave it and he will call Ford engineering tomorrow. I am so pissed because now I dont trust this truck.
everything about this screams the dealership screwed up your oil change somehow. To send you on your way 3 times is garbage. Bunch of chimps working at that place.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:57 PM

OK the new update is the Ford dealer is receiving a oil pressure sensor from Ford because they spoke to the engineers today and they said that they want to start with replacing that and see if that helps still without a truck without a loaner vehicle kind of ridiculous. Ford has opened a case on my truck for a buy back but the engineers at Ford corporate thing the sensor might be bad. If anyone has heard of this please chime in im curious if im the only one with this problem.

Quick Reply: 2018 F150 STX 2.7 eco low oil pressure trouble