Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 F150 5.0 misfire??

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 11:56 PM

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts
Default 2018 F150 5.0 misfire??

My 2018 F150 with the 5.0 V8 (~15,000 miles) occasionally has a rough idle/misfire when I start the truck. It's only happened maybe three times total but each time I had to turn the truck off and restart it. When it happens the truck idles very roughly and shakes and it smells like unburnt gas in the exhaust.

What happens more often is that I come to a stop sign and the truck will be idling fine and then it will start to idle rough. Not as bad as the few times when it's happened at startup but is enough that my wife has noticed and commented on it.

No check engine light or anything else. Anyone else have any issues like this? Autostart-stop is disabled via Forscan. Yes, I realize that I'm still under warranty but more just curious if anyone else has had any issues. I need my truck for work so having it sit a the dealer for a few days while they try to diagnose it is not very convenient.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:45 AM
Hold my beer

Received 435 Likes on 282 Posts

Yup, mine has been doing the rough idle at start up, usually after it sits overnight. Hiccups and sputters for the first 30 seconds maybe and then seems fine thereafter. I'm at 16k miles and I haven't really noticed it until after 10k. These 18's w/ the 5.0's sure are problematic. I haven't addressed the issue w/ the dealer because it's currently under the oil consumption testing and if it goes like I think it will, I'll be getting a new engine. I wouldn't be surprised if those two issues are related.
Old 03-27-2019, 10:16 AM

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

Mine doesn't do it every morning, just occasionally but it's pretty bad when it happens. Unfortunately this is my first Ford and so far I'm pretty disappointed with all the engine/transmission issues. I love the interior and Sync 3 and all of that stuff but it's definitely concerning that the engine doesn't run right, the transmission makes noises, and mine also consumes too much oil. So far I have had to add at least 1 quart every 3,500 miles.
Old 03-02-2020, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having misfire issues too

Have had similar issues with my 2018 F150 STX 4x4. Some mornings my truck shakes so much, I think it's is going to fall apart. The idling issue at a stop has happened way too many times that both my wife and daughter have noticed. The engine started with a rattling noise and has turned into a knocking noise on some days. I've taken it into the dealership three times for the same reason. This last time, I picked it up and three days later, I got a notification from my obd2 plug linked to my phone app that cylinder 4 was misfiring. Gonna drive it back to the dealership today. Getting frustrated and at my last wits, if this continues, don't know what I'm gonna do. Oh and my truck only has about 15k miles on it. It's not like I've ran it 40 or 50k miles. The engine is still rather new.
Old 09-17-2022, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jbone36
Yup, mine has been doing the rough idle at start up, usually after it sits overnight. Hiccups and sputters for the first 30 seconds maybe and then seems fine thereafter. I'm at 16k miles and I haven't really noticed it until after 10k. These 18's w/ the 5.0's sure are problematic. I haven't addressed the issue w/ the dealer because it's currently under the oil consumption testing and if it goes like I think it will, I'll be getting a new engine. I wouldn't be surprised if those two issues are related.
Out of curiosity, what ended up happening with your oil consumption issues/engine replacement at the dealer? I bought a 2018 5.0 earlier this year, and in the last 6 months have been chasing these issues around myself with only recently delving into the forms. I took it into the dealer, I brought up the issues of the cam chain/tensioners/phasers TSB as I originally thought that was the issue. After more digging, I came across the oil consumption threads here and for a couple months, that seemed to be the cause of my issues. As long as I checked the oil levels frequently, it would negate all the noise/phaser rattle/rough idles/rough starts etc. However recently now, those same issues/noises/symptoms have returned, even with the oil being topped off and checked regularly.

When I brought it to the dealer the first time, they didn't even check the oil to begin with, and when I was diagnosing the oil consumption myself I checked, and the dealer had given it back to me bone dry. What was your final experience, were the issues resolved?

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-17-2022, 08:56 PM

Received 1,172 Likes on 806 Posts

I have replied often with extended writing and getting a bit weary of doing it more.
The short of it for the oil passage issue is a ring seating issue over a long interval.
This allows too much blowby the rings into the crankcase and too much by the Ring Pack into the combustion chamber.
The crankcase pressures are to high forcing oil mist through the PCV system back into the intake where they both meet in the combustion process.
No amount of fooling around will correct his but time for the Rings to break-in. Getting a replacement motor is a gamble of having the same issue continue.
I have been through this and now at 66k miles have no more oil usage on a 2018 5 L.
There has been no dealer intervention of any kind. I would not allow it.
Sorry to reply like this but it is what it is.
There is a lot to all of it but getting tired of re typing all the time.
Only to say there has to be factory issues of testing and assembly. that have not been addressed with anything but foolishness at the dealer level because they can only do what the company directs them to do.
Old 09-17-2022, 09:20 PM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

It is the VCT solenoids. I had the same issues, and I changed all 4. I have been problem free for quite some time. I was having rough idle to the point that it would die, but now, all is fine
The following users liked this post:
OCMike (11-28-2022)

Quick Reply: 2018 F150 5.0 misfire??