2018 F150 3.0 Diesel Speculation and Facts - Page 22 - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Topic Sponsor
2015 - Present Ford F150 General discussion on the latest generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2018 F150 3.0 Diesel Speculation and Facts

Closed Thread

 
 
 
Old 12-19-2017, 08:13 AM
  #211  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 288
Thanked 88 Times in 60 Posts
Default

yelling feels better, and if you look around in this thread, and others, most of the time they're yelling about an argument they want to be having, it really has very little to do with what is actually being said. Some people like to play victims, while blaming "victims" and yell a lot

I spent the better part of 18 months debating a RAM eco diesel, and then wanting to wait for Ford and Chevy to bring more competition. Mostly I was interested in reading about the technology going into them, and in the end, it really didn't make much sense for me to even consider one, but it was fun
wiread is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to wiread For This Useful Post:
isthatahemi (12-19-2017)
Old 12-19-2017, 08:55 AM
  #212  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 533
Thanked 33 Times in 29 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by J15 View Post
Right...








Moving along:


The $3k is the price for a diesel service plan. If you want to talk about your EB, the 5 year/100k service plan averages out to $85.50 per visit. That's more than paying for "the works" on a per visit basis. If you got the service plan for a lower price when you bought the vehicle, that doesn't make the service plan cheaper. It means they cooked enough profit into the purchase price that you subsidized your own service plan when you signed the dotted line.


Yes, how dare I use firsthand experience with diesel trucks in a discussion about diesel trucks? It's absolutely ridiculous. Please, forgive me for talking about diesel trucks while you contemplated the possibility of pleasuring yourself with a cow.

Finding out that you really do like to pork cows made this thread very special.


Your analysis is based on numbers posted that have to be approved by several different government agencies. EPA and FTC are two. EPA says this is the way mileage numbers are reached and FTC says you cannot advertise something that cannot be attained all the time. Why else do you think NONE of the auto makers publish economy numbers for the heavy duty diesel class trucks?


However, I am only reporting facts as we have experienced them and applied them to the calculations used. I am absolutely positive that your facts taken from the heavy duty diesel world must rule all classes of vehicles.


I bow to your superior everything.


Clearly anyone driving a diesel needs their head examined because the ONLY fuel worth anything is gasoline that is a by product of the diesel refining product (as said by an ASTM fuels specialist I run around with).


Enjoy your Christmas
Slowtrucker is offline  
Old 12-19-2017, 09:24 AM
  #213  
J15
Certified Cow Porker
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 1,238
Thanked 314 Times in 225 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Slowtrucker View Post
Finding out that you really do like to pork cows made this thread very special.


Your analysis is based on numbers posted that have to be approved by several different government agencies. EPA and FTC are two. EPA says this is the way mileage numbers are reached and FTC says you cannot advertise something that cannot be attained all the time. Why else do you think NONE of the auto makers publish economy numbers for the heavy duty diesel class trucks?


However, I am only reporting facts as we have experienced them and applied them to the calculations used. I am absolutely positive that your facts taken from the heavy duty diesel world must rule all classes of vehicles.


I bow to your superior everything.


Clearly anyone driving a diesel needs their head examined because the ONLY fuel worth anything is gasoline that is a by product of the diesel refining product (as said by an ASTM fuels specialist I run around with).


Enjoy your Christmas
The 3.0 and the ecodiesel aren’t heavy duty diesels. They’re light duty diesels with independently verified fuel economy numbers published by the time of release. First you say we shouldn’t be talking about 3/4 ton diesel trucks here, then you go straight to them when you get your *** handed to you using numbers provided by the half ton diesel manufacturer directly. Do you even think before you talk? In your half baked attempt to refute what I posted, you actually admitted that the diesel won’t get the mileage advertised. We know for a fact the gas engines are capable of doing it, meaning the diesel is even less valuable in a break-even context. Thus far your only contributions to this thread have been cheesy straw man arguments, baseless claims, denial of published facts, and petty insults. Please, prove me wrong. In your own words, share with us the math that shows you’ll break even at 60,000 miles on a half ton diesel using fuel savings alone. We’ll wait.

At this point I think we can all agree that you’re trolling or you lack the intelligence to share a coherent thought. Ignorance is bliss.

Last edited by J15; 12-19-2017 at 09:37 AM.
J15 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to J15 For This Useful Post:
isthatahemi (12-19-2017)
Old 12-19-2017, 09:50 AM
  #214  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 7,003
Thanked 1,050 Times in 863 Posts
Default

But But J15, Its a DIESEL!!!

Great breakdown BTW!
acdii is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to acdii For This Useful Post:
isthatahemi (12-19-2017)
Old 12-19-2017, 09:59 AM
  #215  
J15
Certified Cow Porker
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 1,238
Thanked 314 Times in 225 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by acdii View Post
But But J15, Its a DIESEL!!!

Great breakdown BTW!
Thatís what makes this so hilarious. I have a diesel and heís calling me a liar for being honest about ownership costs. Enjoy the show
J15 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to J15 For This Useful Post:
isthatahemi (12-19-2017)
Old 12-19-2017, 01:11 PM
  #216  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Posts: 754
Thanked 360 Times in 155 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Slowtrucker View Post
Finding out that you really do like to pork cows made this thread very special.


Your analysis is based on numbers posted that have to be approved by several different government agencies. EPA and FTC are two. EPA says this is the way mileage numbers are reached and FTC says you cannot advertise something that cannot be attained all the time. Why else do you think NONE of the auto makers publish economy numbers for the heavy duty diesel class trucks?


However, I am only reporting facts as we have experienced them and applied them to the calculations used. I am absolutely positive that your facts taken from the heavy duty diesel world must rule all classes of vehicles.


I bow to your superior everything.


Clearly anyone driving a diesel needs their head examined because the ONLY fuel worth anything is gasoline that is a by product of the diesel refining product (as said by an ASTM fuels specialist I run around with).


Enjoy your Christmas
Alright, again here are some facts for you (I know you seem to be allergic to those)-

-HD Vehicles (8k gvwr or up) do not publish fuel economy numbers because they are not legally required to-it has nothing to do with manufacturers arbitrarily deciding that that class of vehicle should be different. If it werent for laws on the books, companies wouldnt publish fuel economy numbers for ANY vehicles.
-You have effectively insinuated that the EPA and FTC cant be trusted to provide accurate fuel economy ratings anf information. While not all individuals get the epa rated fuel economy for a variety of reasons, it does provide a consistent baseline for comparison across all vehicles. So, again I say lets stick to facts and science as compared to what you or your buddy think might happen.
Gerrard155 is offline  
Old 12-19-2017, 01:50 PM
  #217  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 1,050
Thanked 209 Times in 159 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by J15 View Post

That being said, this is the key takeaway: in order to break even on the diesel option using fuel costs alone, you need to own the truck for over 200,000 miles, spend $0 more on maintenance over a gas engine, never drive the truck off the highway, never have a regeneration cycle, get a tax exemption for $4200 of your purchase, and never buy diesel exhaust fluid - which, by the way, would run out at about 3000 miles and put your truck into limp mode. Oh, and speaking of limping, you're driving a 5600lb truck with 300hp. You're in the same performance class as a Prius.
LOL sad but true! Anyone who has ever actually owned a diesel knows all this to be true.

I'm still curious to see this new truck though, having a ~400hp diesel f150 that could knock down some impressive hwy numbers would be cool.
SilverSurfer15 is offline  
Old 12-19-2017, 02:01 PM
  #218  
J15
Certified Cow Porker
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 1,238
Thanked 314 Times in 225 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SilverSurfer15 View Post
LOL sad but true! Anyone who has ever actually owned a diesel knows all this to be true.

I'm still curious to see this new truck though, having a ~400hp diesel f150 that could knock down some impressive hwy numbers would be cool.
With a full delete it may have some potential. I donít expect to see that very often though.
J15 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to J15 For This Useful Post:
SilverSurfer15 (12-19-2017)
Old 12-19-2017, 07:35 PM
  #219  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,506
Thanked 157 Times in 127 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by J15 View Post
Right...
.........
That being said, this is the key takeaway: in order to break even on the diesel option using fuel costs alone, you need to own the truck for over 200,000 miles, spend $0 more on maintenance over a gas engine, never drive the truck off the highway, never have a regeneration cycle, get a tax exemption for $4200 of your purchase, and never buy diesel exhaust fluid - which, by the way, would run out at about 3000 miles and put your truck into limp mode. Oh, and speaking of limping, you're driving a 5600lb truck with 300hp. You're in the same performance class as a Prius. Seriously, check the 0-60 times. Prius.


Good talk.
Best post ever. Same conclusion I reached, and yes, I have a diesel transit for my company, performance is painful, mileage is okay, cost to operate, cold starting, maintenance cost are all completely unacceptable. I will add that the mileage tanks way harder in the extreme cold, probably the DEF heater running all the time to thaw out the magic water.

Originally Posted by overpropped View Post
Dude you freaking nailed it

I have been saying this for years. I thought the Ram ecodumpster was gonna be a game changer for 1/2 tons.

So I test drove one and was offended by how slow it was. What a turd. I would be scared to pull out in traffic in that.

Then I started doing the math and what a joke.

Why Ford or Chevy are doing this is beyond me.
Diesel lovers treat diesels like a religion, not a rational decision for the most part. They have their place, just not in a "half ton".

Originally Posted by Slowtrucker View Post
Finding out that you really do like to pork cows made this thread very special.


Your analysis is based on numbers posted that have to be approved by several different government agencies. EPA and FTC are two. EPA says this is the way mileage numbers are reached and FTC says you cannot advertise something that cannot be attained all the time. Why else do you think NONE of the auto makers publish economy numbers for the heavy duty diesel class trucks?


However, I am only reporting facts as we have experienced them and applied them to the calculations used. I am absolutely positive that your facts taken from the heavy duty diesel world must rule all classes of vehicles.


I bow to your superior everything.


Clearly anyone driving a diesel needs their head examined because the ONLY fuel worth anything is gasoline that is a by product of the diesel refining product (as said by an ASTM fuels specialist I run around with).


Enjoy your Christmas
Wow, click unsubscribe and move on already.

Originally Posted by J15 View Post
Thatís what makes this so hilarious. I have a diesel and heís calling me a liar for being honest about ownership costs. Enjoy the show
It's totally baffling why some folks can't just say "I like diesels, ya, they make no sense, it's irrational but I like it". Instead they need to be sent to school. Thanks from the rest of us.
isthatahemi is offline  
Old 12-19-2017, 07:47 PM
  #220  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 7,003
Thanked 1,050 Times in 863 Posts
Default

Former Diesel owner, when Diesel was cost effective. The moment it became more costly to own than gas, it was parked. I do wish I still had that truck today though as it would be more cost efficient than todays Diesel, but not as a DD.
acdii is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: