Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 Coolant leaks when cold

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 12:18 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Angry 2018 Coolant leaks when cold

Anyone else have big coolant leaks when its cold on their 2018+? Seems like many are leaking when it's -25C or colder. Mine started with this past cold snap, two coolant hoses that go to the cooler which is low slung between the engine and trans pans. I'm not sure exactly what this cooler is for... I'm assuming it's for the transmission fluid and has coolant go through it to cool it. But mine will leak a lot if its parked out in the cold. Put it in the heated garage and it will not leak a drop... Of course the hoses are back ordered and because so many are having this issue there is no current eta on parts, I've been told to just keep topping up the coolant degas as needed.
Old 02-17-2019, 04:47 PM

Received 119 Likes on 69 Posts

I do know the old screw-type hose clamps would leak when cold; the rubber would contract under the set clamp, and leak. Everything factory is a constant-tension clamp, and they do exactly like it sounds. Something sounds like its contracting under the extreme cold condition. I know those are frustrating to chase.
Old 01-18-2020, 02:59 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Advocate01
Anyone else have big coolant leaks when its cold on their 2018+? Seems like many are leaking when it's -25C or colder. Mine started with this past cold snap, two coolant hoses that go to the cooler which is low slung between the engine and trans pans. I'm not sure exactly what this cooler is for... I'm assuming it's for the transmission fluid and has coolant go through it to cool it. But mine will leak a lot if its parked out in the cold. Put it in the heated garage and it will not leak a drop... Of course the hoses are back ordered and because so many are having this issue there is no current eta on parts, I've been told to just keep topping up the coolant degas as needed.
Yup....Mine just developed a sudden slow leak during a week-long cold snap of -30C. Went to the dealer in my area and they advised me they just received a bulletin from ford regarding this issue as they are aware of the issue.
Appointment made for repairs coming up.
The mechanic even said the leak will probably stop once the temperatures warm-up, but seeing it's under warranty they are going to fix it at no cost. I believe he stated there are issues with the style of clamps they are using and not causing a tight seal in frigid temps.
The mechanic just topped it up until I can get in Feb 7 for repair and told me to keep an eye on the coolant level.
Hope this helps
The following users liked this post:
Steve Osborne (01-18-2020)
Old 01-18-2020, 06:10 PM

Received 157 Likes on 113 Posts

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/2018-...starts-466527/
Old 01-18-2020, 07:53 PM

Received 367 Likes on 305 Posts

Thanks... this may explain my last trip to the dealer to have lower coolant level checked...
Old 02-07-2020, 03:47 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Well......
The truck is at the dealership for the coolant leak. Just got a call and the upper rad hose needs to be replaced.
Glad I took it in and I have a loaner for the next few days until the part arrives.
On a good note, they are also doing the freezing door lock TSB "FIX".

Quick Reply: 2018 Coolant leaks when cold