Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 5.0 10 speed - Transmission / Engine Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 07:51 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 2018 5.0 10 speed - Transmission / Engine Issues

Hi all, I've found lots of good info on this forum and wanted to claim my seat and post a little information. Keep in mind this truck was a week old with 300 miles on it.

The other day i was leaving my house, went from reverse to drive, and was struggling to get up to speed. I noticed the indicator said i was in 7th gear. I shut down and restarted, it jerked from 1st gear into 7th. No matter what the speed or throttle position was it stayed locked in 7th gear. I drove straight to the dealership which was just down the highway, shut it down, restarted and it drove fine with the exception the check engine light had come on in route. The service dept told me there was a code for "transmission out of range" that had "cleared itself out".

Later that night I went to go drive it again and the engine light came back on. I checked the code and it was P0301, cyl 1 misfire. I brought it to the dealer, they overnighted a coil. They're keeping it through the weekend incase the transmission acts up again.

I love this truck, but i'm pretty bummed about this whole deal. Not what I expected from a truck I wanted to keep for 10 years. Hopefully the bugs can get worked out!

For reference:
2018 XL, Supercab, 5.0, 10spd, STX

Last edited by XL-ent; 01-20-2018 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Add info
The following users liked this post:
pohlmeyr (02-07-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 11:19 AM

Received 801 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by XL-ent
Hi all, I've found lots of good info on this forum and wanted to claim my seat and post a little information. Keep in mind this truck was a week old with 300 miles on it.

The other day i was leaving my house, went from reverse to drive, and was struggling to get up to speed. I noticed the indicator said i was in 7th gear. I shut down and restarted, it jerked from 1st gear into 7th. No matter what the speed or throttle position was it stayed locked in 7th gear. I drove straight to the dealership which was just down the highway, shut it down, restarted and it drove fine with the exception the check engine light had come on in route. The service dept told me there was a code for "transmission out of range" that had "cleared itself out".

Later that night I went to go drive it again and the engine light came back on. I checked the code and it was P0301, cyl 1 misfire. I brought it to the dealer, they overnighted a coil. They're keeping it through the weekend incase the transmission acts up again.

I love this truck, but i'm pretty bummed about this whole deal. Not what I expected from a truck I wanted to keep for 10 years. Hopefully the bugs can get worked out!

For reference:
Good info, hope they find your bug and squash it! Be sure to up date.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:29 AM
Size Matters

Received 3,360 Likes on 1,698 Posts

For reference:
It's a shame when dealers don't check for TSBs before making incorrect diagnosis and repairs...

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/2018-...e-read-403389/
Old 01-20-2018, 11:35 AM

Received 373 Likes on 248 Posts

I had a weird electronic issue w/ a brand new Chevy I bought many years ago. It popped up within 500 miles of new and I was barely able to drive it to the dealership. They updated the computer and I drove it another 166,000 miles without any problems.
Old 01-20-2018, 12:03 PM

Received 74 Likes on 50 Posts

These computer transmissions are something else. Had a 14 GMC, Right after brought had a recall. After that it never shifted the same. Clunk when stopped, Clunk when started up

They did a another reflash, than #2 recall. No better would something clunk while driving now. It only had 10,000 when traded, but tired of the issue and poor lighting among other things.
All repair would be on my dime, outside of the thing just cratering. Was an SLE AT so features were fewer than a denali. Have a 18 F150 limited which could mean, lot more bells and whistles
for issues.

So seems all makers can have issue with the transmission and other mechanical over programming.
Old 01-20-2018, 04:12 PM

Thanks for all the feedback! I'll mention the TSB to the dealer! I'm still worried about the transmission issue, hopefully it doesn't wait until after the warranty is up to break.
Old 01-20-2018, 04:23 PM
Size Matters

Thanks for all the feedback! I'll mention the TSB to the dealer! I'm still worried about the transmission issue, hopefully it doesn't wait until after the warranty is up to break.
TSB 17-2262 resolves the transmission issue, TSB 17-2272 resolves the CEL.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:19 PM

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Just took delivery of my new 2018 Lariat 501A 5.0 on Tuesday.
I did have a steering issue right out of the gate, but the 5.0 and ten speed have been awesome so far.
I have experienced nothing but ultra smooth shifts and operation in the first 450 miles, lovin' it so far!
I hope they get yours sorted out soon. These 10 speeds can be really nice!

Last edited by Griffbones; 01-21-2018 at 02:06 PM.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:56 AM

TSB 17-2262 might fix my problem, however i didn't see it listed in the thread. It locked me in 7th gear and wouldn't change regardless of throttle position (full throttle) or speed (all the way to 0 miles per hour). Restarted it once and it got me 1st gear, then went right into 7th again and stuck there for 7-8 miles on the highway. On the 3rd restart at the dealer (sat for 5 plus minutes) it stopped doing it. I'll definitely mention this TSB to the dealer, thanks!
The following 2 users liked this post by XL-ent:
Mjaxjr49 (07-13-2020), pohlmeyr (02-08-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 09:05 AM
Size Matters

TSB 17-2262 might fix my problem, however i didn't see it listed in the thread. It locked me in 7th gear and wouldn't change regardless of throttle position (full throttle) or speed (all the way to 0 miles per hour). Restarted it once and it got me 1st gear, then went right into 7th again and stuck there for 7-8 miles on the highway. On the 3rd restart at the dealer (sat for 5 plus minutes) it stopped doing it. I'll definitely mention this TSB to the dealer, thanks!
In post #3 I posted the link to thread referencing TSB 17-2272. In the OP of that thread is the link to the thread referencing TSB 17-2262.

Quick Reply: 2018 5.0 10 speed - Transmission / Engine Issues