Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 10 speed issue w/ 5.0L

Old 05-28-2018, 07:28 PM

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
Default 2018 10 speed issue w/ 5.0L

Hi all,

New to the forum, but did visit it prior to buying my 2018 XLT Sport (5.0 with 10 speed) a few months ago. I did a search and found a few 2018 transmission threads, but nothing specific to my issues. I am convinced these are ALL related to the software programming for the transmission except the first one. Wondering if anyone else has these, and if so if you've told Ford about them.

Issues (from most to least problematic):

- The rattling noise taking foot off gas, mentioned by others here.
- Rough downshift from 4th to 3rd, and 3rd to 1st when slowing down (it almost always skips 2nd on the way down). Doesn't matter what the transmission temp or vehcle temp are.
- I have two stop signs that I go through every day that are less than 50 feet away, and I only go a few mph from one stop sign to the next. At this time the vehicle and transmision are cold. I usually accelerate and it shirts from 1st to 2nd, and then I take my foot off the gas, but it keeps accelerating until it shifts into 3rd and then immediately slows down. Just when it slows down there is a clunk from the driveshaft (similar to what my 1995 Mazda B4000, basically a Ford Ranger, did when I took my food off the gas at times).
- Rough shift from 1st to 2nd or 3rd (which ever gear it chooses) when the vehicle is cold. It is only bad when the outside temp is under freezing or so.
- When accelerating on an on-ramp going onto the highway there is a bit of surging or just lack of smoothness. It isn't a big deal to me, but my dealer said they've heard a few complaints for people that are more bothered by it (or maybe it is more noticable in their vehicle)

Anyone else have these problems? I hope Ford comes out with an update like they recently did in early March on the 2017 F-150s with the 10 speed.

-

Last edited by wallyuwl; 05-29-2018 at 08:12 PM.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What is the build month for the truck? My 5.0/10spd says it was a 12/17 build and I'm not noticing any issues as of yet. I only have 1000 miles on it so far and I like to run it in Eco mode.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:48 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I get the surging when upshifting at times. It seems as if the tranny wants to upshift, but not sure.. I called it fish tug, but surging works too.
I have it going to dealer 6/4 for recall, water in tail light and this. I also had a long initial start up. Not when stopped at a light, but first thing in am. It seems to take longer than I think it should. I could be nit-picking, but I am about to pull trigger on a lift, and want to cover these things prior to that.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:21 PM

It was built in October. There is a TSB 17-2262 to upgrade the transmission software for builds prior to Thanksgiving(ish). I think this will fix most of the issues, except the rattling.

I am taking to dealer tomorrow for the TSB and rattling. Based on two other threads it seems there isnt a known fix for the rattle, and might be a bad batch of engine blocks restricting oil in the upper part of the engine. Not everyone with the 5.0 has the problem, and some with the issue on 2017 3.5L have gotten buybacks or new engines. Newer builds might be better with the rattling and also would have the new TCM software.
Old 05-29-2018, 10:00 PM

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Mine drives fine. But i get the pack of cards shuffling aka rattattatta noise. Until I hear about it being fixed properly ford is not touching my truck. If it is some sign the transmission is failing then I will hassle the fuhk out of them around 30k miles when getting closer to warranty concerns
Old 05-29-2018, 10:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wallyuwl
It was built in October. There is a TSB 17-2262 to upgrade the transmission software for builds prior to Thanksgiving(ish). I think this will fix most of the issues, except the rattling.
Based on what they have told you mine may already have that upgrade. I would say it makes a difference.
Old 05-29-2018, 11:12 PM

Default Rattle

Here is a link to the rattle when taking my foot off the gas. Has to be in gear (not park or neutral). Similar to what others have reported on a cpuple other threads.

The following users liked this post:
timz (05-12-2019)
Old 05-29-2018, 11:21 PM

Received 291 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by wallyuwl
Here is a link to the rattle when taking my foot off the gas. Has to be in gear (not park or neutral). Similar to what others have reported on a cpuple other threads.

5.0 2018 F-150 rattle
Could this be related to the electronic transmission pump? I'm just wondering if there's something with how the auto stop start stuff was integrated into the transmission that changes when you take your foot off the pedal. I'm just throwing out ideas...I have no clue what that noise is but definitely doesn't sound good!
Old 05-31-2018, 11:57 AM

I also have the rattling when letting foot off the gas on the 2018 5.0. I will have more of an update in the next couple days, but wanted to let some of you know what I found out yesterday from the dealer.

I took it is yesterday for the TCM update (TSB 17-2662) for builds prior to December (makes a fairly large difference, BTW... definitely a better driving experience now), and for the rattle. It was 70 and rainy yesterday. It rattled in my driveway, then after the 20 minute driver to the dealer it didn't. So they couldn't reproduce it. However, I took video of it doing it the night before so I showed that to the mechanic. He was really good, seemed to really know what he was talking about. He immediately new it was one of two things. I don't remember one of the things he said, but the other one was the VCT selenoid. Sure enough, you can atually feel it vibrate when it happens. So it is NOT the timing chain. The mechanic said that it opening and closing, causing the rattle, is computer controlled. This exlains why MyronE had this replaced and it didn't fix the problem.

Also, we started up another vehicle on their lot that was a September build and is brand new (11 miles on the clock). It did the same thing, re: rattle. Later today I'm going to the dealer I bought it from for its first (free) oil change, and will ask to try a newer build 5.0 and see if it rattles. I actually trust the other dealer's mechanics more, and they got me in sooner. Also, the mechanic said he was going to send a note into Ford through their system as to the VCT selenoid rattle and see what their response is, and have the serive advisor call me back possibly as early as today. He said if enough people/dealers compain about it that they might come out with a software fix (as of now it seems to be mostly improperly diagnosed).

I will update later when I know more, but the rattle doesn't seem to be anything to worry about in the 5.0.
Old 05-31-2018, 01:40 PM
D K

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

for ****s ang giggles, have you tried leaving your house in different transmission modes?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2018 10 speed issue w/ 5.0L