Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 Xlt SCREW- the water leaks continue...

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 07:29 AM

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts
Default 2017 Xlt SCREW- the water leaks continue...

so a little back story, I had a 2015 that water leaked into the cab from a vent on the back wall, after it spent 77 days at the dealer with no resolution Ford replaced my vehicle

as with the 2015 my 2017 was taken home in January, its dry where i live from January to May, and then we get into the "tropical rain pattern"
and just like my 15, I started noticing a musty odor in June/July as the heavy rains start happening 2-5 days a week

So the good new is, the rear vent from the 2015, it no longer exists on 2017's built in 2017, mine was built in 2016 and still has it... so that leak for most is no longer an issue

the issue I have been having is the vapor barrier seals on all 4 doors, there are breaks in the butyl and allows the water to get in behind the door trim and then into the cab of the truck

I work from home, the truck does not get driven daily, it sometimes sits for 3 days at a time, and when i do go someplace it either 9 miles round trip, or 400+ miles round trip
I use it to tow my camper, and eventually the boat I am going to get
so with it sitting for those time periods, and the water leaking in the cab, it makes for a musty/ moldy situation
those of you that do drive daily, get the benefit of the A/C dehumidifying the truck... your's leaks... you just don't know it yet...

some advice to those who install speakers... go with marine grade or use boom mat baffles and cut the bottom out ... the doors get that wet inside

here are 3 vid's of the door issues... and just this week I found the rear window is leaking so it goes in for that on 9/5

trying to help out, the 2015 was my first ford i ever owned, and I think the 2017 will be the last....
Old 08-25-2017, 07:43 AM

Received 216 Likes on 183 Posts

Did you try to bring it back to the dealership again?
Old 08-25-2017, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Eduskator
Did you try to bring it back to the dealership again?
it was there 2 times, for the doors already, I took them apart and put all new butyl and the doors no longer leak, however i now have the rear window leaking, and it will be going back in 9/5 for that... its really frustrating taking it to the dealership month after month

this was to help others identify where leaks are coming from on their trucks as i see more and more posts on it... just trying to share what i have learned

I am just extremely frustrated with the quality from the factory, and my dealership has a 8 day wait for new issues... so i find a leak yesterday and the earliest they can get me in is 9/5...
3.5 inches of rain yesterday and were in a flood watch today... so my truck will get for the next 9 days
Old 08-25-2017, 08:58 AM

Received 404 Likes on 256 Posts

I'm too afraid to look at mine. I had the frozen lock tsb done on all 4 doors so who knows what state my vapour barriers are in. I think they have to remove them to perform the tsb. Anyway I haven't noticed any signs of a water leak in mine yet. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

Looking at the video above of the vapour barrier, it's a strange design. If that butyl rubber seal was working, there would be water trapped just above the seal. Where is it supposed to go? Looks to me like it would pool up in that area.
Old 08-25-2017, 09:04 AM

oh and here is the back window as of an hour ago...
Old 08-25-2017, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by seadragon
I'm too afraid to look at mine. I had the frozen lock tsb done on all 4 doors so who knows what state my vapour barriers are in. I think they have to remove them to perform the tsb. Anyway I haven't noticed any signs of a water leak in mine yet. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

Looking at the video above of the vapour barrier, it's a strange design. If that butyl rubber seal was working, there would be water trapped just above the seal. Where is it supposed to go? Looks to me like it would pool up in that area.
I do believe there is a direct correlation between the water leaks in the door and the frozen locks.... someone didn't do a good job of managing water in the door
Old 08-25-2017, 01:34 PM

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

yea that blows man, I'm also scared to check mine. I seem to have been pretty lucky so far! There's gotta be some way to actually seal these trucks up better.
The following users liked this post:
swimmarz (10-12-2017)
Old 08-25-2017, 02:04 PM

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

My 2015 does not leak. I've checked multiple times after reading similar posts.

The only leak I've had was around the back glass right after I got it. Dealer replaced the whole back glass and hasn't leaked since.
swimmarz (10-12-2017)
Old 08-25-2017, 02:05 PM

Received 700 Likes on 441 Posts

I swear with all these leaks on this truck, Im really considering NOT getting a ford--I read every freaking day with someone with another new leak or something going on--pretty ridiculous if you ask me! I dont need to be taking my truck into service every month.
swimmarz (10-12-2017)
Old 08-27-2017, 06:57 AM

well the positive news, I went to the dealer yesterday spoke with managment and they actually seemed more intersted in getting me out of the truck than making any more repairs to it.

again this is the second F150 I have had with leaks, and this would be the third time its going into service for the leaks

the manger suggested he was going to talk with the dealership owner and see if they can take care of this internally and then fight with ford, as the last time we had issues it took nearly 2 months to get ford to approve it and then another 30 days to complete the process.

then he asked would i like a 2017 or a 2018... they have 4 2018's in stock with 80 more on order.

I hope the dealer owner see' s this like the manager does and just makes it right as fast as possible