Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 Lariat Alarm Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 02:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2017 Lariat Alarm Issue

I recently had a break in into my truck. Someone smashed the rear passenger window and opened the back door. They then spent probably several minutes in my truck going through all my belongings and emptying out my center console and my glove box. My question is why didn't my alarm go off. I am pretty sure I have the motion sensor alarm. I get asked every time I exit the truck wether I want "All Sensors" or "Perimeter Sensors" with All sensors being the default. Now my dealer is telling me that only the front doors have the alarm sensor, and that I don't have motion sensors inside the truck. I am pretty sure I had motion sensors because I remember the alarm going off when i locked my dogs in the truck in the past. My question is this: How can I tell once and for all, which type of alarm i have in my truck?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Old 08-23-2018, 02:59 PM

Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts

what does the window sticker say?
Old 08-23-2018, 03:05 PM

I am going to Apple Auto glass to pick it up shortly and i will check. Are you referring to a sticker in the drivers window, or windshield?
Old 08-23-2018, 03:58 PM

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by MZimb50
I recently had a break in into my truck. Someone smashed the rear passenger window and opened the back door. They then spent probably several minutes in my truck going through all my belongings and emptying out my center console and my glove box. My question is why didn't my alarm go off. I am pretty sure I have the motion sensor alarm. I get asked every time I exit the truck wether I want "All Sensors" or "Perimeter Sensors" with All sensors being the default. Now my dealer is telling me that only the front doors have the alarm sensor, and that I don't have motion sensors inside the truck. I am pretty sure I had motion sensors because I remember the alarm going off when i locked my dogs in the truck in the past. My question is this: How can I tell once and for all, which type of alarm i have in my truck?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Need more info. This is odd. I’ve set off my alarm on my 2017 Lariat a few times, both by reaching in to unlock it and by bumping into it. Either you don’t have an alarm or it was somehow disabled. Check you window sticker to see if it’s on the options list. As a point of reference, under Safety/Security, mine says passive anti theft system.

Also, I’ve gotten messages to the fordpass app indicating an alarm was triggered.
Old 08-23-2018, 05:06 PM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

mine says passive anti theft system
My sticker says Perimeter Alarm.
Is this the same thing or different?
If so, does anybody know the difference?
Old 08-23-2018, 05:16 PM

Mine also says Passive anti theft system. I stopped in at the dealership and they said the original build for the truck lists an "Advanced Security System". I asked them what that was but they didn't know. I tried testing the system by sitting in the truck after locking the doors but I still can't get it to go off with motion. It's funny though, because now that the window is fixed, the alarm goes off when you open the back door. This morning it wouldn't. So does smashing the window somehow disable the alarm???!??!??
Old 08-23-2018, 05:22 PM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MZimb50
Mine also says Passive anti theft system. I stopped in at the dealership and they said the original build for the truck lists an "Advanced Security System". I asked them what that was but they didn't know. I tried testing the system by sitting in the truck after locking the doors but I still can't get it to go off with motion. It's funny though, because now that the window is fixed, the alarm goes off when you open the back door. This morning it wouldn't. So does smashing the window somehow disable the alarm???!??!??
OK, now we have 3 different systems, or they may all be the same:
Periemter Alarm
Advanced Security System
Passive Anti theft System

Clear as mud..
Old 08-23-2018, 05:37 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Motion Sensors are 4 circles in ceiling console. "All sensors" means you have it. So does Advanced Security. High end trims have this.

​​​​​​Perimeter alarm is opening of doors improperly (reach in window 30 seconds after locking and hit unlock or pull handle). Every truck has this.

VSS (Vehicle Security System) adds shock sensor. Open window, close door and lock. Wait 30 seconds, pound fist on steering wheel. Or, load cement pieces in bed (ask me how I know). This was often added by people who bought remote start prior to Sync Connect.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ricktwuhk:
LN-RTP (08-23-2018), seadragon (08-23-2018)

Quick Reply: 2017 Lariat Alarm Issue