Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 F150 10 speed transmission noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 11:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 F150 10 speed transmission noise

Hello all,

I purchased a new 2017 F150 XLT with the 3.5 Ecoboost and 10 speed transmission back in May. A few weeks after I bought it, I noticed a strange noise coming from the front end that sounds like a rattling or fast clicking noise. Seems to happen mostly between gears 3-7 as it shifts. I originally thought it might just be a loose skid plate.

Took it in to the dealer for the 5000 mile service and asked them to look at the noise. This was back at the beginning of Aug. They have had it now for going on 7 weeks. Originally they thought it was a transmission issue, escalated to Ford. Ford had them replace a turbo but it didn't fix it. After about 5 weeks, the dealership drove a number of other similar F150s from the lot and noted a similar noise comes from each. I road with them and verified that all 4 trucks I road in make a similar noise although mine seems to be a bit louder.

Dealer is thinking it is a "normal" noise for this new transmission but are attempting to get Ford engineering's official guidance on it.

I'm just curious if any other owners here with a new F150 with this transmission have noticed anything similar. I owned a 2012 F150 before this and never had any issues like this (different transmission of course.)

Much appreciated
Old 09-19-2017, 06:53 PM

I didn't get any replies, so I'm hopeful that you all are enjoying your trucks with no issues.

As a quick update to anyone that may stumble across this thread in the future:

Ford engineering ruled that the noise is "normal" but could not provide any information on what actually causes the noise. It's a bit frustrating especially since it took 5 weeks for the dealership and Ford to determine the noise seems to happen on all of the 10 speed equipped trucks at various sound levels. Also, it took another 2 weeks for them to tell me it was normal and they would not provide any information on specifically what causes it. All in all, I have been without the truck for 7 weeks.

Thanks
Old 09-19-2017, 07:26 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Ive been doing some reading on this and others for sure reported noises. Some said it was a wooo sound others a whining sound. Ford said normal in all cases.

I'm kind of glad I couldn't get the 10 sp now and Im fine with my 6 sp on the 2017 V8 I got.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:38 PM

Received 150 Likes on 119 Posts

I wondered the same but after hearing other 10-speeds making the same 'noise', I have resigned to just enjoy driving it. And enjoyable it is!
Old 09-19-2017, 08:59 PM

I actually did get a little more info from the service manager at the dealership today. The exact notes from Ford on my case were: "The noise is likely due to check ***** and/or valves in the main control shuttling as the shift solenoid are pulse-width modulated during shifts. This Escalation will be closed."

My understanding is that this was escalated to several groups at Ford. Hopefully this will help anyone else who find this forum post in the future.

Also, apologies for starting a new thread on this. I did see an earlier one about the "whining" sound but I didn't think it was related.

Thanks all
Old 01-03-2018, 11:16 PM

Exclamation 10 sp transmission noise

i purchased my 2017 F150 XLT in April and experience the same noise every now and then. I noticed that when it is cold out and I don’t warm my truck up fully until the high idle shuts down is when I hear it. It is like it is confused on which gear to grab unless I have my foot in it.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:46 AM

I notice the same. When cold the transmission hunts for gears unless I "put my foot down". On two occasions when cold, less than 100 yards from the end of my driveway, it sounded like I had run over a bunch of aluminum cans... A very loud clunking noise. The first time it happened, I pulled over and looked underneath the truck. I'm calling the dealership today.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:16 PM

I have a 2018 F150 5.0L (Build Date 2/18) with the same issues as described above. I went to the dealer and explained the issues I was having and they noticed the same noise. I took them up on their offer to test drive a new vehicle on their lot to see if it would make the same noises as mine. It sounded worse than mine did. I am convinced this is a common issue with these trucks. Not sure if I would consider it "Normal", but it is common.