Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 F-150 Light Switch Diagram

Old 07-28-2019, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 F-150 Light Switch Diagram

Hello all,

I'm going to be replacing my factory bumper with an aftermarket bumper with a 30 inch light bar and no fog lights. With that being said I would like to wire the light bar harness into the factory fog light switch. I believe this is the wiring harness I will be using below.

It would be ideal to just splice the three wires going into the harness switch and attach them right to the fog light switch, but I'm not sure if the factory switch has 3 connections or not.

Any diagram/suggestion is appreciated.

Thank you,
Nick
Old 07-28-2019, 04:40 PM

Received 96 Likes on 34 Posts

Just to clarify, your truck currently has fog lights and the factory headlight switch with fog light function?
Old 07-28-2019, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by flyboyike
Just to clarify, your truck currently has fog lights and the factory headlight switch with fog light function?

Yes sir, the current bumper has fog lights. The new bumper will have a 30" 300watt light bar.

Thank you,
Nick
Old 07-28-2019, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by nrmartini97
Yes sir, the current bumper has fog lights. The new bumper will have a 30" 300watt light bar.
I can't help but think that it would be easier to just splice into the current fog light connectors (at the bumper) then and not even worry about the switch. I don't know what the amp draw is on that light bar, but if it's much higher than the fog lamps, you would need to use a higher-amp fuse, but everything else would be untouched. I'm ready to be corrected on this, but that seems to me the simplest course of action.
Old 07-28-2019, 05:35 PM

Received 114 Likes on 68 Posts

If you are not going to have fog lights I would leave existing wiring alone and use the fog light wire at the bumper to trigger a relay to power the 300 watt lights.

Of course you will need a fused 12 volt supply, a new relay and good to go.
Old 07-28-2019, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Dunrollin
If you are not going to have fog lights I would leave existing wiring alone and use the fog light wire at the bumper to trigger a relay to power the 300 watt lights.

You know what they say about great minds...
Old 07-28-2019, 05:39 PM

Received 114 Likes on 68 Posts

Amen! Work smarter, not harder.
Old 07-28-2019, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Dunrollin

I could be wrong but isn't the current wiring for the fog lights only rated for like 80 watts? Wouldn't I need to upgrade the wiring?

Another issue with this is if I popped a fuse because of the light bar I would lose all my lights - I believe. If I'm not mistaken they're all on the same circuit.

Thank you,
Nick

Last edited by nrmartini97; 07-28-2019 at 06:07 PM.
Old 07-28-2019, 06:30 PM

Received 75 Likes on 31 Posts

I just went through a somewhat similar situation on this except I was adding a light bar to the high beam switch. All you need to do is tap that blue wire going to the switch to a positive lead on the old fog light connections. Super simple. Then the light bar is getting its power from the relay harness you are just using the signal from the fog light switch to power the relay on. I would go ahead and also buy a relay with a built in resistor if you go this route. After some recommendations from members on here and some research it will protect your factory computers from any backflowing current when the bar is shut off. Not sure if totally required but for 10 dollars on amazon it’s cheap insurance! And the best part was the old relay unplugged and the new hella resistor relay plugged right in.

Edit- not sure if it was clear but in this scenario you would not use the switch or the other two wires going to the included switch at all! Hope that helps
The following users liked this post:
nrmartini97 (07-28-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by TheOxFx
I just went through a somewhat similar situation on this except I was adding a light bar to the high beam switch. All you need to do is tap that blue wire going to the switch to a positive lead on the old fog light connections. Super simple. Then the light bar is getting its power from the relay harness you are just using the signal from the fog light switch to power the relay on. I would go ahead and also buy a relay with a built in resistor if you go this route. After some recommendations from members on here and some research it will protect your factory computers from any backflowing current when the bar is shut off. Not sure if totally required but for 10 dollars on amazon it’s cheap insurance! And the best part was the old relay unplugged and the new hella resistor relay plugged right in.

Edit- not sure if it was clear but in this scenario you would not use the switch or the other two wires going to the included switch at all! Hope that helps

If I'm understanding correctly it would look a little something like this. Only change would be a new relay that has a resistor, and get rid of the harness switch and connect the blue wire coming from the relay to a positive lead on one of the old fog light connectors? If it's that simple I'll definitely go that route.

Thank you,
Nick

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2017 F-150 Light Switch Diagram