Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 F-150 3.5L EB wastegate problems

Old 07-06-2017, 06:32 PM

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Default 2017 F-150 3.5L EB wastegate problems

Hi,

My 4-month-old 2017 F-150 Lariat (3.5L EB) has decided to cause me the first problem Yesterday I have noticed the big yellow wrench icon after starting the truck, accompanied by strange air noise from underneath the truck. Then "check engine" light went on so this morning I was at Ford. They took the car only in the end of the day and all they did was to reset the code. I was asked to drive it (and push harder) today and come back if the light comes back. Well...the light came back about 50 meters from the dealership so I left by one gate and returned by another

According to the technician, it was about the wastegate that does not close - at least according to the sensors. I think the noise confirms the fact that it physically does not work as it did before.

Long story short, will be back tomorrow morning. I asked the technician to give me the codes he extracted from the computer - P0244, P25B4. The truck drvies, but there is noticeable loss of power and engine/exhaust noise is very very different.

Returned home, did 2-minute Google search, found TSB SSM 46452 (NHTSA 10099471) that sounds very similar...Of course, it is Ford who is going to work on it, but I will definitely mention this TSB tomorrow morning.

The technician told me that tomorrow he was planning to verify all electrical connections to the wastegate unit (it is driven by the electric motor, if I understand correctly) - basically everything around the unit before trying to replace it. And according to him, if replacement is needed - this won't be done the same day

The tricky part is that I need the truck for a long trip, so either they fix it tomorrow and I can use it or I need to make some alternative arrangements.

Anyone had a similar issue? What was your experience?
Old 07-06-2017, 09:03 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, count me in. After I traveled 2 miles from 1st start today, the truck threw a 'wrench' code right at the bottom of a long hill. If there was boost, I couldn't feel it. I knew I was driving a V6 and not one of the old 300 straights from days of old. I called the dealer and they took me right in. Tech called me a few hours later and asked me how it was running. I said fine right up to the code drop. He said there were 13 codes in the memory and he couldn't see how it could run well with that code mix. They're keeping it to check more tomorrow. I have defective hearing so I can't tell you if there was noise associated with it. Tech did say it might be a hung waste gate.

I've had the truck for 4+ months. 3200 miles so far. Around 500 miles towing a 6x10 LP 10k dump trailer. I'll be back here when I know more ...
Old 07-06-2017, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by VigII
Yes, count me in. After I traveled 2 miles from 1st start today, the truck threw a 'wrench' code right at the bottom of a long hill. If there was boost, I couldn't feel it. I knew I was driving a V6 and not one of the old 300 straights from days of old. I called the dealer and they took me right in. Tech called me a few hours later and asked me how it was running. I said fine right up to the code drop. He said there were 13 codes in the memory and he couldn't see how it could run well with that code mix. They're keeping it to check more tomorrow. I have defective hearing so I can't tell you if there was noise associated with it. Tech did say it might be a hung waste gate.

I've had the truck for 4+ months. 3200 miles so far. Around 500 miles towing a 6x10 LP 10k dump trailer. I'll be back here when I know more ...
OK, good not to be alone I will post an update tomorrow when the dealer looks at the truck again.

Meanwhile, I have recorded a short video just to explain what sort of new noise I am talking about.

The following users liked this post:
VigII (07-07-2017)
Old 07-06-2017, 09:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

happened to me 3x in 30 days. They replaced it the first time, then they didn't "calibrate" it correctly, and lastly it wasn't put on correctly. Been god ever since but still makes a weird sound by the left waste gate as if there is a leak or something.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by RRXLTSPORT
happened to me 3x in 30 days. They replaced it the first time, then they didn't "calibrate" it correctly, and lastly it wasn't put on correctly. Been god ever since but still makes a weird sound by the left waste gate as if there is a leak or something.
Is the dealer going to do anything about this "leak"-like sound? If it is similar to what I hear now, I would not tolerate it for too long, it is extremely annoying. Like a small diesel engine on an old locomotive
Old 07-06-2017, 10:56 PM

Received 526 Likes on 392 Posts

Man, more ecoboost/turbo related issues!

I thought this was a thing of the past with the 2011 - 2013 F150s!

I'm glad I have a 5.0L in the F150 but I have a 2.0L Ecoboost/turbo in our '17 Fusion. Hope these turbos and related systems aren't plaqued by continuing problems.

Hopefully this is just a first year design defect issue with a new waste gate and not a common failure.

Last edited by Mike Up; 07-06-2017 at 10:59 PM.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ngrigoriev
Is the dealer going to do anything about this "leak"-like sound? If it is similar to what I hear now, I would not tolerate it for too long, it is extremely annoying. Like a small diesel engine on an old locomotive
It happen all with under 2k miles. At this point i don't feel like going back so they can keep my car for a couple days to say that its nothing serious. I'm just hoping nothing happens again. As for the sound if it gets any louder or fee any power issues then i will take it in.
Old 07-07-2017, 05:36 PM

Got the truck back today. The dealer has replaced the wastegate. They could not get the part today so they took it off another new truck and ordered the replacement. Well, at least that's what I was told Did a test drive on the way home, no yellow wrenches on the dash and the turbos seem to work fine. Power is back, the noise is gone. I have noticed some new sound, when accelerating from the complete stop I hear two slight clicks. Sounds "mechanical" - like relays or something like them. I am pretty sure I did not hear anything like this before. And it sounds like coming from the outside, so, it may be just the muffler parts making that noise.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:46 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Also got mine back today. There were 12 (not 13) codes, some that didn't align with a mechanical diagnosis. All the codes appeared within a 5 hour period yesterday. They checked the gates and all was normal. They reseated wiring harness connections, cleared the codes and drove 90 miles. No more codes. I'm hoping it was simply wiring.
Old 07-08-2017, 05:32 AM
Size Matters

Received 3,358 Likes on 1,698 Posts

SSM 46619 - 2017 F-150/Raptor - 3.5L GTDI - Lack Of Power - Illuminated Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) DTCs P0244, P25B4, P0248 and/or P25B6

Some 2017 F-150 and Raptor vehicles equipped with a 3.5L gasoline turbocharged direct injection(GTDI)engine may exhibit a loss of power/performance with an illuminated MIL and Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) P0244, P25B4, P0248 and/or P25B6 stored in the powertrain control module (PCM). This concern may be due to the wastegate control actuator linkage on one or both turbochargers being out of adjustment. Before replacing any components, perform the steps to adjust the wastegate linkage as directed within the removal and installation procedure for the Wastegate Control Actuator LH/RH.

Search this Thread