Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 3.5 EcoBoost catch can

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 10:18 AM
BRONZE FIRE KING RANCH

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Question 2017 3.5 EcoBoost catch can

I have been reading many threads on the "catch can" issue. Yet I still am not certain if the 2017 and 2018 3.5's need it? Read somewhere that the 18's have a Factory installed can. If so, that is very telling for previous years and we need to install one..? While the mileage is still low on my truck, I want to do the right thing for longevity and to keep the engine as "repair" free as possible. So I am specifically looking for folks with the 2017 3.5 Ecoboost in their trucks and weather or not they have a catch can, feel it is necessary, and why if necessary did Ford not put one on from the factory to prevent possible warranty issues unless the problems do not show up until the truck is out of warranty. I am looking at the RXP cans.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:44 AM

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

The 18s don't have it. The port injection supposedly negates the need. Some have put them on though on the 2nd gens. Certainly won't hurt but I've heard that there isn't a need on stock 2nd gens. That's all I know about that.
The following users liked this post:
BRONZE FIRE KR (07-24-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 11:42 AM

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

If it was needed it would have been installed at the factory. Snake oil at best, but it is your money and your truck. You decide. I just cant believe the engineers that designed these engines would say "lets leave the catch can off so everyone truck will "F" up". Then we can have all kind of recalls and customer complaints, yeah that's the ticket!!
71_340 (07-20-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 11:45 AM
Ezekiel 25:17

Received 2,371 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Get it if you want it. It won’t hurt anything but the feelings of everyone that complains about them on this website.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gamason
If it was needed it would have been installed at the factory. Snake oil at best, but it is your money and your truck. You decide. I just cant believe the engineers that designed these engines would say "lets leave the catch can off so everyone truck will "F" up". Then we can have all kind of recalls and customer complaints, yeah that's the ticket!!
Yeah! Just like how they wouldn't put shocks on the 15-17 that let the back end bounce all around! Or have VCT phaser issues! Or have composite oil pans that are prone to leaking! Or put pins in shifters that wont hold! Or have door latches that freeze! They foresee every possible circumstance that will happen to these trucks and nothing ever goes wrong, duh.

Adding port fuel injection helps eliminate the carbon buildup on the valves, along with other performance benefits. The point of a catch can is to capture moisture, fluid, and other gunk that may be exiting the crank case (due to blow by from the cylinders) in the PCV system. On a turbo charged engine, you may have more blowby than an N/A engine. When that gets pulled out of the crankcase, it takes air, fuel, and oil with it. This then goes back into the engine (thus the carbon buildup on valves). So the port injection cleans the valves, but nothing is really keeping that stuff from going back into the engine. Is it worth the cost of the catch cans to keep that stuff out and maybe increase longevity of your engine? I guess thats up the user.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:09 PM

Received 158 Likes on 128 Posts

When they went to dual fuel injection (Direct & Port) it definitely isn't needed because it will keep the intake valve stems clean. Before that. theoretically...maybe; but then I had four Eco Boost truck with just direct injection and never had a single problem. I think you can spend 300.00 on something more worthwhile.
I am sure the catch-can fans will chime in with different opinions and their own reasoning/justification.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:57 PM
Blunt

Received 1,074 Likes on 722 Posts

If you're tuned and running at the track every weekend, high RPM pedal to the floor 1/4 miles, or like to race at every red light, maybe. If not, then no. Just had mine all checked out last month at 93k when a crankcase pressure sensor failed (electrical failure). Nothing was oily or gummed up. So I'm convinced that I'm fine not needing one. I don't race or take my truck to the track, just a daily driver, haul yard/home improvement supplies, and tow my travel trailer. No issues.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:00 PM

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

I'm personally not going to mess with it. Like everyone else said, I got more things to spend money on. Truck and gun related!

Quick Reply: 2017 3.5 EcoBoost catch can