Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 3.5 EB Knocking. What you guys think??

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 04:47 PM

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts
Default 2017 3.5 EB Knocking. What you guys think??

I've got a 2017 3.5 Ecoboost, 10 spd, Scab. I got it 2 months ago and dont drive it too much. My commute to work is 150 miles and I try to keep the miles off the new truck. I've got 3 trips to work, 1 trip to the ski area, and +/- 5 trips around town on it. 1000 Miles.

I decided to take the truck to work today as a little 'Friday Treat'. Truck ran good, same as it always does. Didn't hear anything abnormal driving it. As i pulled into the driveway, I head from inside the cab (doors/windows shut), a pronounced 'soft' knocking sound. (After a 75 mile, 1.25 hour drive) I got out, opened the hood and there was definitely a pronounced knocking. Not the injectors as this was much firmer sound (not a ticking sound) and less frequent.

I would like to duplicate the sound at least once more before I get on the dealers phone. I figured I would post it up here and see what you guys think as I'm not really familiar with these engines. I know its hard via video, but let me know your thoughts.

Last edited by KubotaB; 01-26-2018 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 01-26-2018, 05:19 PM

Received 428 Likes on 293 Posts

I'd take it to your dealer ASAP! At least then you're on record because you can hear something knocking on that vid. BTW... show him the vid because it sure indicates something isn't right.

Let them figure out what's the problem.......
Old 01-26-2018, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by cthusker
I'd take it to your dealer ASAP! At least then you're on record because you can hear something knocking on that vid. BTW... show him the vid because it sure indicates something isn't right.

Let them figure out what's the problem.......
There's no way that knocking can be normal. Just to further my 'backup' for when I go in or call them, I would really like to duplicate it. I will take it for a spin tomorrow and see if it shows up again.

A fellow CT'er. Northwest I see. I'm from Killingworth, so south-central CT. I did get my truck from Crowley Ford, which is headed towards your direction.
Old 01-26-2018, 05:34 PM

Received 428 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by KubotaB
There's no way that knocking can be normal. Just to further my 'backup' for when I go in or call them, I would really like to duplicate it. I will take it for a spin tomorrow and see if it shows up again.

A fellow CT'er. Northwest I see. I'm from Killingworth, so south-central CT. I did get my truck from Crowley Ford, which is headed towards your direction.
Bought my first F150 from Crowley years ago. I'm right on the MASS/NY boarder in the Litchfield Hills.. SNOW COUNTRY.. big time!

I totally agree that knocking sound isn't right IMO. Might be something very simple but it needs to be looked at and fixed by your dealer.

Appreciate keeping us updated on what happens.....
The following 2 users liked this post by cthusker:
KubotaB (01-27-2018), Lesage (05-29-2018)
Old 01-26-2018, 06:26 PM

Received 57 Likes on 33 Posts

Sounds like rod knock or piston slap.
The following 2 users liked this post by platinum99:
KubotaB (01-27-2018), nytryder (09-21-2019)
Old 01-27-2018, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by platinum99
Sounds like rod knock or piston slap.
I sure hope not. That's like engine replacement territory??
Old 01-27-2018, 09:08 AM

So it's outside warming up now. (25 degrees last night) and no knocking at warm up. Going to take for a drive now. I will update how it sounds after my drive when engine is up to temp.

EDIT UPDATE:
Warmed up 15 minutes in driveway, ran great. The rapid injector ticking takes some getting used to, but I take that as normal.
Drove around town for about 15 minutes, everything up to operating temp, came home and she was quite as can be.

So I'm unsure how to feel about it. Am I happy it didn't do it again? Or am I pissed it didn't do it because now there's no answers. For now I'm taking it as an isolated event and will keep keen look out for it. Although how the heck is a knock like that come and go?

Another question to bounce off you guys. How do you guys treat one time 'flair ups' or isolated abnormalities? Do you immediately jump on the dealers phone? Do run the truck and see if you can/can't duplicate it? Does the dealer keep a file of phone calls or something as record in case this comes up in a year or two?

Thanks
KubotaB

Last edited by KubotaB; 01-27-2018 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Update Info
Old 01-27-2018, 09:48 AM

Received 57 Likes on 33 Posts

Just keep driving it and monitor it. There 5 year warranty on the power train.
The following 4 users liked this post by platinum99:
chimmike (01-27-2018), KubotaB (01-27-2018), pjazz (05-08-2019), RL1990 (01-27-2018)
Old 01-27-2018, 10:02 AM

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Had almost the same noise coming from it with only a couple hundred miles on it. Found out I had unknowingly been using ethanol. I stopped using it & the sound went away. Fast forward 3 weeks later, after about 5-6 full tanks, and I pretty clearly hear an exhaust leak. Not sure what you noise is OP. Dealer/Ford refused to give me any kind of extended warranty because they couldnt replicate it in the shop even though I had it on video 3 times and once with the exhaust noise.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:39 AM

Received 275 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by KubotaB
So it's outside warming up now. (25 degrees last night) and no knocking at warm up. Going to take for a drive now. I will update how it sounds after my drive when engine is up to temp.

EDIT UPDATE:
Warmed up 15 minutes in driveway, ran great. The rapid injector ticking takes some getting used to, but I take that as normal.
Drove around town for about 15 minutes, everything up to operating temp, came home and she was quite as can be.

So I'm unsure how to feel about it. Am I happy it didn't do it again? Or am I pissed it didn't do it because now there's no answers. For now I'm taking it as an isolated event and will keep keen look out for it. Although how the heck is a knock like that come and go?

Another question to bounce off you guys. How do you guys treat one time 'flair ups' or isolated abnormalities? Do you immediately jump on the dealers phone? Do run the truck and see if you can/can't duplicate it? Does the dealer keep a file of phone calls or something as record in case this comes up in a year or two?

Thanks
KubotaB
If the dealer can't replicate it they don't do anything and as far as I know no record is kept.

Nasty noise by the way. Keep us informed on progress.

Quick Reply: 2017 3.5 EB Knocking. What you guys think??