Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 XLT Manual Heating somewhat automatic?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 11:06 AM

Received 315 Likes on 239 Posts

Default 2016 XLT Manual Heating somewhat automatic?

I have a 2016 XLT with factory remote start and manual HVAC controls. There is obviously some automated control as the heating/cooling happens automatically during the remote start action (it adjusts heat/cooling to get the interior to 20C during remote start). When I change over to normal, keyed, operation, the system changes back to my last setting, the way I left it on last shutdown.

I have noticed numerous times, that airflow sound and heat output (direction and/or velocity) change without touching the controls. It seems to happen most on cold days when the engine finally achieves full temperature the fan sound increases and I get a dose of really hot air. It seems to buffer the fan speed and airflow until enough heat is available.

Anyone else notice this? Only with remote start and manual controls? I've mentally snapped?

My 2009 didn't have remote start, but did have manual controls and didn't do anything like this.
Old 12-18-2017, 12:29 PM

Received 254 Likes on 210 Posts

Do you have your remote start on auto climate (not auto climate control since it’s an XLT) when remote starting? The setting should be in your diplay setting in the dash cluster.

For example:
- if set on auto, your last setting was cool, but it’s 30 degrees outside, when you remote start, the heat will be on until you insert the key and then the cool will kick in since it was your last setting.

- if set on last setting, your last setting was cool, but it’s 30 degrees outside, when you remote start, the cool will be on AND when you insert the key.
Old 12-18-2017, 12:41 PM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Automatic Settings In hot weather, the system is set to 72°F (22°C). The cooled seats are set to high (if available, and selected to AUTO in the information display). In moderate weather, the system either heats or cools (based on previous settings). The rear defroster, heated mirrors and heated seats do not automatically turn on. In cold weather, the system is set to 72°F (22°C). The heated seats are set to high (if available, and selected to AUTO in the information display). The rear defroster and heated mirrors automatically turn on
Old 12-18-2017, 12:55 PM

Just to clarify, I have no problems with the remote start settings or function. This happens long after I've put in the key and started driving. I think it happens without remote start as well, just normal keyed start usage. I just mentioned the remote start because it definitely allows for some "Intelligence" in the HVAC system, but that part works fine.

Edit: I can't honestly say whether this only happens if I've used the remote start each time. I will have to pay attention if it also happens when I don't use remote start, but it is always 5+ minutes after I've started driving normally. Some kind of "residual" action of the remote start during the drive?

Last edited by tcp2; 12-18-2017 at 12:59 PM.
Old 12-18-2017, 01:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have noticed this exact thing on my 2017 XLT. When I start the truck on colder days say -10 or below, doesn't matter whether I use remote start or if I start it with the key, and I have the fan speed say set at medium it is muted somewhat. Now if I don't touch the fan and when the truck reaches optimal operating temperature then the fan speed increases for a period of time and really warms up the truck eventually slowing down again.

I have been meaning to ask the dealer about this, but haven't had a chance too, not sure if they would even know. Glad I'm not the only one who has noticed this.
Old 12-18-2017, 01:58 PM

Exactly. That is very much what happens. I turn the fan up on a cold truck and don't get much of anything...later on I hear an increase in fan speed and a BIG amount of heat and have to turn the temperature cooler. At first i thought it was a blend door problem and i would need some warranty work, but it doesn't happen unless the temperature is cold. The"manual" controls aren't as manual as they appear.
Old 12-18-2017, 02:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah I haven't noticed it these past 2 or 3 weeks because the weather has been "warmer" in Edmonton, but I'm sure I'll notice it when the temps drop again starting tonight.
Old 12-19-2017, 12:02 AM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Noticed it on mine on morning around 30 and below. My last truck did the same same and it didn't have auto climate either. Wonder if it just more of something the industry is doing. Dunno, but I can't complain. In fact mine put the window defroster on my default whether it was set to or not. I have noticed that turning it off before it warms up the blower is lower until the truck warms up a bit and then it picks up. That I like because I don't want that blast of cold air on me when it's already cold out, lol.
Old 12-19-2017, 01:46 AM

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Think heater is monitoring motor temp, then when truck temp increases turns fan on. Our escape titanium does that.
Old 12-19-2017, 11:16 AM

At least it's not my mind going and some automatic things are going on. Thanks for the replies.

Quick Reply: 2016 XLT Manual Heating somewhat automatic?