Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 thinks trailer connected; isn't!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2016 thinks trailer connected; isn't!

I added an LED rear bar to my 2016 F150, hardwiring it to the harness.

Now the truck thinks there is a trailer connected. I've tried going into the towing settings and selecting "no trailer"; it doesn't work.

When I start the truck, the notification comes on that there is a trailer, and when I'm in reverse, the rear backup aid (beeping etc) is off.

I did briefly connect the LED strip to the trailer plug to test it before I hardwired it, but unplugged it (of course). I have tried connecting something else to the plug and then unplugging it to trick the system. No luck.

Any other ideas?
Old 06-01-2016, 06:42 PM

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Do a search, this topic has been covered and you can't hook into the wiring harness.
Old 06-01-2016, 06:44 PM
Found On Road Dominating

Received 187 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Boblavoie
I added an LED rear bar to my 2016 F150, hardwiring it to the harness. Now the truck thinks there is a trailer connected. I've tried going into the towing settings and selecting "no trailer"; it doesn't work. When I start the truck, the notification comes on that there is a trailer, and when I'm in reverse, the rear backup aid (beeping etc) is off. I did briefly connect the LED strip to the trailer plug to test it before I hardwired it, but unplugged it (of course). I have tried connecting something else to the plug and then unplugging it to trick the system. No luck. Any other ideas?
there is a thread on this situation. My issue is the inability to power a 12 volt outlet through the 7way pin. It's app a big PITA
Old 06-01-2016, 07:20 PM

Thanks Mark,
I've checked the forum but haven't seen a lot about my issue (not sure if I'm searching for the right phrase).
If I just disconnect the backup wire from the trailer harness, and connect it to the the tail-light backup wire, will that correct the problem?
Old 06-01-2016, 07:29 PM
Found On Road Dominating

Received 187 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Boblavoie
Thanks Mark, I've checked the forum but haven't seen a lot about my issue (not sure if I'm searching for the right phrase). If I just disconnect the backup wire from the trailer harness, and connect it to the the tail-light backup wire, will that correct the problem?
try this https://www.f150forum.com/f118/tailg...ht-bar-314507/
Old 06-01-2016, 10:02 PM

Thanks Bill
Just what I needed

Quick Reply: 2016 thinks trailer connected; isn't!