Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 Platinum; rear door auto unlock?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 08:37 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Default 2016 Platinum; rear door auto unlock?

Can't for the life of me figure out how to get the rear doors to auto unlock. From what I've found in the manual enabling auto unlock and then not having two-step unlock configured for the fob should be all that's necessary yet I continue to have to manually unlock the doors in order for my rear passengers to exit. Any ideas?

I'll add that the configuration I have checked the boxes for auto lock and auto unlock in the locks setup through the information center. Rather than two-step, the setting is to unlock "driver" or "all doors" and I have set at all doors.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:22 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Welcome to the new safety-conscious Ford. No setting will fix this issue. The only ways are to open the drivers door, or to hit the unlock button on the door.

This feature is brought to you by the same safety guys that bring you the double-honk when leaving the vehicle.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:40 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Do you have it set where the doors lock when you get above 5mph or whatever?
If so, that's your problem.

Should be able to turn that off.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:43 PM

Received 189 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenScrew
Can't for the life of me figure out how to get the rear doors to auto unlock. From what I've found in the manual enabling auto unlock and then not having two-step unlock configured for the fob should be all that's necessary yet I continue to have to manually unlock the doors in order for my rear passengers to exit. Any ideas?

I'll add that the configuration I have checked the boxes for auto lock and auto unlock in the locks setup through the information center. Rather than two-step, the setting is to unlock "driver" or "all doors" and I have set at all doors.
It's in your settings menu. I don't recall but I remember reading it in my owners manual. It can be done.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:09 AM

Received 157 Likes on 120 Posts

If you want all the doors to unlock when you unlock the drivers door

Hold both lock/unlock keys on your remote for like 5 sec
Old 01-11-2016, 10:19 AM
Blunt

Received 1,073 Likes on 722 Posts

Something is wrong. When you have it set to "all doors" they should all unlock with the driver's door. When set to "driver's door", you press once to unlock driver's door only, press right away a second time to unlock all other doors.

The auto unlock sucks because as I remember, it only unlocks the doors when you put it in park and turn off the engine. That's why I disabled the auto lock, it was just annoying. Especially annoying when I would stop, put it park and leave the engine running, and then get out and try to open a rear door only to find it still locked...
Old 01-11-2016, 01:14 PM

I'll have to double-check whether the doors will unlock when I turn the engine off. Would prefer if it would unlock when put in park. But its odd that the front doors operate just fine - I guess they always can be opened whether locked or not, from the inside.

It's not a good safety advance if to bypass it for functionality purposes you have to disable a more important safety feature (auto lock). I'd still like to hear absolute confirmation from others as to how this is supposed to operate but for now I'll first verify if they unlock when stopping the motor (not necessarily resolving my issue but at least would explain that the auto unlock is actually working for rear doors) and secondly I'll look in to whether disabling auto lock is a preferred setting for purposes of usability.

Thanks guys and gals!
Old 01-11-2016, 01:18 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by RACER X

I just tried this and it didn't work. I was worried that you were playing some sort of prank, like the panic alarm would go off or something .

Do you know what this does? My emergency flashers flashed once or twice, but I can't tell that anything else changed.

I was inside the truck, with it running, when I did this.

I, too, am interested if there is an easy setting to change. The only one I can see is to turn off the setting to auto-lock all doors while driving. This sorta stinks, though, as I have little ones in the back...
Old 01-11-2016, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by RACER X

I'm assuming this changes the behavior when using the FOB to unlock? Which, if that's the case, doesn't help me at all as I don't use the FOB to unlock, and the bigger issue is for getting out not in...
Old 11-23-2016, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just found the answer. Go to settings from control panel between gauges.

Advanced settings

Vehicle

Locks

Remote unlock

Set to all doors.

Quick Reply: 2016 Platinum; rear door auto unlock?