Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 Lariat Front Differential

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 02:03 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Default 2016 Lariat Front Differential

I just wanted to post this in case it helps anyone or if anyone has experienced the same thing. This is on my 2016 F150 3.5EB Lariat when turning over 14K miles. I have not yet towed anything with this vehicle and have only had it in 4WD a couple of times to make sure it works. I bought it used with 8K miles on it so cannot speak to the treatment it had prior to me.

I heard a very faint sound in the left front wheel area (like tire noise) and only became concerned about it after a few tests. If I put the truck into 4A the sound changed. If I then put it back into 2H the sound went away for a couple of seconds then came back. I assumed I had a vacuum leak or maybe a IWE was starting to go bad so took it into the dealer. I just assumed they would not find anything and say it was normal.

WOW was I wrong. I got a call the next day and the service writer indicated that the front differential was about to grenade. They got with Ford and it was determined that it should be rebuilt and not replaced as the rebuild came to 50% of a new unit. I was told they do not replace units until the repair cost is %70 or greater.

It has been a week and the last indication is they are waiting for parts. Hopefully it will be ready by the weekend. If not I guess we shall see how the rental mini van does on the dirt roads getting to the cabin. I feel like such a low life driving a mini vans with out of state plates on it.

I know that things happen but really, a differential at 14K miles ??? They never go bad. Hope this does not turn out to be a lemon.

Share your stories or berate me for accepting the mini van rental just like my 5 year old neighbor did.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:28 PM

Received 496 Likes on 345 Posts

I feel your pain. Some time ago I had a truck made by that "other" manufacturer that had dubious credentials. I was about a mile from my cabin when a lady short stopped in front of me. After almost a complete stop I hit the gas after turning the wheel left while uttering a few choice words. I heard a loud bang from underneath. Got back to the house and found I lost 1st, 3rd and reverse. A few months later the engine felt sluggish I felt like busting ***** about it because of how long it took to fix the trans so I took it in. I didn't get a call that day nor the next. I went to the service dept to gripe and I was told they were waiting for parts because there was a rod knock in the engine which needed to be rebuilt. All this within 30K miles. I traded that in for a newer model which was the next generation and loved the heck out that truck! It literally took me to hell and back. After 180K it was too worn out to keep on as I was. You know the rest.
BTW, good job by your neighbor kid!

Last edited by Wicked ace; 05-23-2018 at 03:33 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:04 PM

Received 291 Likes on 225 Posts

I have a faint sound like metal on metal coming from mine. Dealer says it's normal.

It's not normal and I'm 90% sure it's the differential. Did yours make a faint grinding/growling noise when slowly reversing?
Old 05-23-2018, 05:13 PM
D K

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=gopherman;5785373] Dealer says it's normal.

QUOTE]

I hate when they do that! WTF???

It happens all the time.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:37 PM

Received 315 Likes on 239 Posts

The differential shouldn't be moving if you are in 2wd. The driveshaft disconnects at the transfer case and the wheels disconnect at the IWEs. The driveshaft, diff and axle shafts are (if working properly) completely motionless in 2wd.

Originally Posted by gopherman
I have a faint sound like metal on metal coming from mine. Dealer says it's normal.

It's not normal and I'm 90% sure it's the differential. Did yours make a faint grinding/growling noise when slowly reversing?
Old 05-23-2018, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by gopherman

I can't say I noticed anything while in reverse. The sound I heard was a very low pitched humm/growl. The best I can explain it was it sounded like snow tires running on asphalt. Typical tire noise. The only reason it even concerned me is because the noise would change when engaging 4A and then going back to 2H.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:49 PM

Received 291 Likes on 225 Posts

The slight howl I have happens at all speeds. The growl that I hear in reverse only happens when 4A/4H is engaged or right after disengaging...like snow tires on asphalt.

I've considered IWE but don't have the typical symptoms.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:28 PM

I just got a call from the dealer and upon further investigation it appears that the main bearing on the ring gear started to disintegrate. This contaminated the entire front diff with metal shavings. They are going to replace the entire diff and axles now. The problem is that the parts are on back order so it looks like I will be driving the mini van for who knows how long. I have a camping/motorcycle annual trip in three weeks and better have my damned truck back by then. Otherwise it will be a no go as what I have now is no way to haul my trailer. I guess the warranty only covers the el' cheapo rental and will not put me a a truck. This gets a bit more aggravating each day. ARRRRR That reminds me I need to watch Black Sails tonight.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:58 PM
Size Matters

Received 3,359 Likes on 1,698 Posts

Depending on the build date, early build trucks were factory filled with non-synthetic lube in the front differential. For has since changed their spec to synthetic. I believe starting in 2017 all trucks are now filled with synthetic front differential fluid.

Here's the SSM SSM 45087 - 2009-2015 F150 4x4 Front Pinion Bearing Damage

If pinion bearing damage is noted during the repair of the Front Axle on 2009 -2015 F150 4x4 units operated in severe cold climates. Use Motorcraft XY-75W85-QL Synthetic Hypoid Gear Lubricant upon reassembly and fluid fill. The lube will offer better pinion bearing lubrication in severe arctic conditions. Only a small number of units operated in the most severe climates will benefit from the using the synthetic lube. Do not replace the lube unless you have identified a concern with the pinion bearing.
The following users liked this post:
lomax (05-23-2018)
Old 05-24-2018, 01:50 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Mine was rebuilt at 30K miles due to the pinion being loose. Here's the kicker, I used 4wd once, around 3-4K miles or earlier, and never used it after that. Interesting how a non moving system can wear out, vibrate, and make noise when it isn't supposed to even be turning. I now have 43K and change, and I can swear that I am hearing it groan while stopping. Who the hell knows, it can be just about anything now on this truck, had the passenger seat repaired for a rattle at 20K and it's doing it again. I cannot wait until I can replace this truck!!!! I have a 1/2" thick stack of paperwork on repairs already, and have had the truck 16 months.

Just to give an idea how quickly that front tore itself apart, I drive 120 miles a day, the only time I used 4WD was on a snowy day, once, the first month I got it. The rebuild was done in December the same year, 11 months after getting the truck.

Quick Reply: 2016 Lariat Front Differential