Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 F150 Moon Roof

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 F150 Moon Roof

I have a 2016 F150 Lariat with one of those Vista Sun Roofs. With 34200 miles, the roof will not slide open.

Took it to the dealership and they said it is the tracks that need to be replaced. It is covered under warranty.

Ford needs to fix this known problem with a recall. With all the messages posted on this board with the same issue, Ford needs to recall and fix this issue.

Ford Service tech told me he thought the part is the exact same part as what they are replacing, so basically I can expect this to happen again.

i am not real thrilled needing the dealership to have to pull the headliner off to fix. Just seems like most issues down the road.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:49 AM

Received 436 Likes on 342 Posts

Hey, have you used it a lot? Curious if it's a wear issue, or simply a defect that can happen with little to no use. As far as recalls, they only issue those when it's a safety issue, so we'll probably never see a moonroof recall. Ford would only issue a TSB (techinical service bulletin), but unfortunately, TSBs die with your warranty. Recalls are free for the life of the vehicle, but again, auto manufacturers rarely issue one when not forced by the NHTSA due to a safety factor. I plan to rarely open mine, since I didn't want one to begin with. But will open the shade a few times a year. Hope at least that doesn't crap out. Ha ha.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:11 AM

Default Vista roof

Originally Posted by elptxjc
Hey, have you used it a lot? Curious if it's a wear issue, or simply a defect that can happen with little to no use. As far as recalls, they only issue those when it's a safety issue, so we'll probably never see a moonroof recall. Ford would only issue a TSB (techinical service bulletin), but unfortunately, TSBs die with your warranty. Recalls are free for the life of the vehicle, but again, auto manufacturers rarely issue one when not forced by the NHTSA due to a safety factor. I plan to rarely open mine, since I didn't want one to begin with. But will open the shade a few times a year. Hope at least that doesn't crap out. Ha ha.
As for the wear and tear... I am not sure. We purchased used from a Ford dealer. The truck was in excellent condition when we purchased so I not sure if previous owner used it a lot.

​​​​​​This seems to be a big problem...with the number of messages on this forum. When I first talked to the service tech at the Ford dealer, without even looking at it...said probably the tracks need to be replaced.

If a ford service tech can tell you what the problem is and what needs to be fixed before looking at it, this tells you Ford has a problem with these.

The Ford service tech did say this would also be covered if there is an extended warranty in place.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:22 AM

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

I wonder how big of an issue this is or is not.

Thankfully, our for 15,000+ miles thus far has worked like a charm. We use it daily like a sunroof (Just opening the back of it up). Love cracking the back slider about 1.5" and get a wonderful flow of air that makes me happy and the wife too as her "Hair" is not messed with.

With millions of these being sold, and only the few that have voiced their frustration here, I wonder if it is going to be an issue for everyone or not at some point.

Also... I thought a few folks posted that there are now improved parts for this situation? Am I mistaken?
Old 07-12-2018, 09:55 AM

Received 855 Likes on 373 Posts

I suspect the "problem" isn't that big. You have it and that's not good and that's enough. If one looked all the issues posted on any brands forum and made a decision on which truck to buy and which options to include on that truck based on that we'd all be walking. I don't know anyone, myself included, that's had an issue with their sunroof.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by David Jones
I suspect the "problem" isn't that big. You have it and that's not good and that's enough. If one looked all the issues posted on any brands forum and made a decision on which truck to buy and which options to include on that truck based on that we'd all be walking. I don't know anyone, myself included, that's had an issue with their sunroof.
I am thinking this is a bigger issue with this model f150...

Most people who own a f150 probably knows nothing about this forum. This forum probably represents the tip of the iceberg of owners.

this board probably represents the true f150 enthusiast owners for the most part. If there are on going recurring issues posted here, think of the masses that are not true f150 enthusiast having the same issues posted here and just going to their dealership with the same problems.

I am mostly new to this particular forum, but if you spend any amount of time reading, you can put together a short list of issues with this model year f150 pretty quick.

My other f150 is a 2008 model and has been a great truck. I have had to have things fixed as it has aged, so I understand maintenance needs.

I think the biggest problem I have with it is reading people having this issue with low mileage (below 75k) and the cost of the repair is a lot. Mine is getting fixed under original warranty, but just barely under the warranty mileage.

I just hope the parts they are using to fix it have been improved...
Old 07-23-2018, 11:26 AM

Default Truck in for repair

The dealer had to order the parts. The parts came in and the truck is at the dealer getting new tracks put on for the Vista roof.

The service manager told me this would be a $2300 repair if it was not under warranty. They said it will take 2 days to fix.

Happy this is a warranty item. I am 600 miles under the warranty limit.

Ford needs to do better than using plastic tracks for a moon roof.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:15 PM

Received 426 Likes on 291 Posts

I suspect these things break because the front seal hasn't been properly lubricated? I always make sure I use the pop up feature FIRST before fully opening it. I suspect the seals get stuck together and the roof panel motor is stronger then the plastic parts as it attempts to slide it open. Popping it up first breaks the seal and might prevent damage from happening. I use mine several times a week and make sure that front seal is lubed and use the pop up feather first..........
Old 07-23-2018, 12:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had my tracks replaced on a 2017 about 2 months ago. The service manager went ahead and put in an order for the parts while the tech was still diagnosing the problem, so it must be at least fairly common. Tech said the tracks were warping over time and it is a known issue that big Ford is aware of.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:22 PM
Trying to figure it out!

Received 677 Likes on 494 Posts

Welcome to the club!! Mine's been in the shop 4 times for repairs in 35k miles. First three times it got new tracks and the fourth just an adjustment. I haven't used it since the fourth time because the weather hasn't been good enough.

Quick Reply: 2016 F150 Moon Roof