Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 F150 2.7L Engine Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 09:33 PM

Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts
Default 2016 F150 2.7L Engine Issues

So yesterday I go to accelerate after a turn and bam I feel a snap and the truck starts shaking violently as I move. Check engine light turns on and I'm thinking great, I've got my three young girls with me and I'm going to be stuck on the side of the road with a truck that has 22,000 miles. Never a smitten of an issue and now this.

Since it wasn't flashing I continue to slowly make my way home which is only about a mile away. I drop the kids off, wife gets home, and off to the dealer I go. Dealer is about 2 miles from me so I hobble down to the dealer at 20 mph with the truck shaking.

Advisor gets in and starts it then says, "this won't be hard to find". I ask for a rental so I can get to work tomorrow and they give me a brand new escape.

Get a call this afternoon and he says, " well, looks like the connection to the distribution coil is bad on cylinder 5. We replaced it and all seems good." I'm thinking that's it! All that drama from the truck and it's a simple electrical connection? ! Apparently it shouldn't have done any long term damage as it was driven only but a couple miles like that.

After all these reports of no issues with the 2.7 I thought I'd let everyone know. I'm sure it was just a bad part so I'm going to move on and hope it doesn't happen again. Glad I have such a good dealer.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My 2.7 crapped out on me one day on the highway. Had a very rough idle and was running awful- ended up being the throttle body sensor. It's the world we live in now, all electronic.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:12 PM
I like to eat.

Received 470 Likes on 325 Posts

I have an Acura TL that two spark plug coil packs went out on. Definitely feels like the vehicles in its last leg!
Old 03-10-2017, 11:36 PM

Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

Surprised the CEL did not flash for the misfire event like it is suppose to do.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:54 AM

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Undercover Brother
Surprised the CEL did not flash for the misfire event like it is suppose to do.
That is not uncommon at all. As long as the number of misfires in any given memory block remains below a certain value, it does not flag a problem and gives that block a “pass” rating.

A generic OBD-II scan tool will not pick it up either (when there is no CEL). But with a more advanced scanner that has Mode $06 (one of about 10 diagnostic modes) the cylinder(s) which misfired can be determined. Ford shops and other shops with the proper scanners can also see which cylinder(s) misfired and exactly how many times the misfires occurred.
The following users liked this post:
Elkhornsun (02-24-2018)
Old 03-12-2017, 03:50 PM

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Nighthawk87
So yesterday I go to accelerate after a turn and bam I feel a snap and the truck starts shaking violently as I move. Check engine light turns on and I'm thinking great, I've got my three young girls with me and I'm going to be stuck on the side of the road with a truck that has 22,000 miles. Never a smitten of an issue and now this.

Since it wasn't flashing I continue to slowly make my way home which is only about a mile away. I drop the kids off, wife gets home, and off to the dealer I go. Dealer is about 2 miles from me so I hobble down to the dealer at 20 mph with the truck shaking.

Advisor gets in and starts it then says, "this won't be hard to find". I ask for a rental so I can get to work tomorrow and they give me a brand new escape.

Get a call this afternoon and he says, " well, looks like the connection to the distribution coil is bad on cylinder 5. We replaced it and all seems good." I'm thinking that's it! All that drama from the truck and it's a simple electrical connection? ! Apparently it shouldn't have done any long term damage as it was driven only but a couple miles like that.

After all these reports of no issues with the 2.7 I thought I'd let everyone know. I'm sure it was just a bad part so I'm going to move on and hope it doesn't happen again. Glad I have such a good dealer.
Glad to hear that it was a simple fix.

Most things on modern engines today are controlled by some type of electrical connection and the smallest issue can disable a vehicle or make it seem like it`s something major as in your case.

Have a great day.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:13 AM

Received 557 Likes on 402 Posts

That is dissapointing to hear. Had not heard of that issue happening with the 2.7. Glad you got it fixed and like you said hopefully it's just a one off deal.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:24 AM

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

I filled up at a non top tier gas station. well needless to say bad gas f's these engines up.
The truck shook and wouldn't accelerate.
pulled into auto zone 2 cans of dry gas and all is well.