Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 XLT defective seat frame and harsh downshifting

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 09:47 AM
Sawdust is man glitter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 XLT defective seat frame and harsh downshifting

I tried searching, and I can't quite find issues similar to mine.

I bought my truck new off the lot in 2015, its an XLT Sport, Super Crew, 2.7 2wd. Since day one I have been riddled with issues - broken window switch, defective dash, leaks, harsh transmission and a drivers seat that moves, on its own....while driving.

I took it to the dealer where I bought it, and in the first 21000 miles, it was at the shop 21 days. I really will try to not go into a rage about the shop but the problem is they kept promising to fix the issue "next time" and I didn't take it somewhere else sooner. I'll own the blame on that one for sure.

My chief complaint from real early on was that the drivers seat would lean forward while I drove. Every time I went anywhere, I found that I needed to lean the seat back 3-5 times per trip. I kept bringing it back. and I even explained that simply reclining the seat felt like the gears are grinding and shaking and the seat back is loose. One of the service advisers looked me in the eye and said it is supposed to be like that. My last trip to the dealer clearly didn't fix it and since my truck was set to go out of warranty, the adviser said he would take care of it and to bring it back if the issue persisted.

Fast forward, now I've been in the truck 3.5 years, and have just under 32k miles - out of warranty. I (finally I know) took it to another dealership and explained the seat issue again. come to find out the entire seat frame is defective and they want $1500 to replace it. I called the adviser from the other dealer and explained someone finally found the issue and he said something to the effect of "its out of warranty, I can't help you." I reminded him of his promise to take care of it and he said I need to call ford and start a claim.

I've called Ford and started a claim but I don't feel hopeful. Has anyone had experience with this process? Any tips?

The transmission - oh brother here we go again.....much like the seat, I have reported this issue to both service centers, but both can't "replicate" the issue so I am really needing help.

While driving (obviously) when the truck shifts from 5th to 4th at 29mph, it is a really harsh, audible shift. The first time it happened I thought I had been rear ended. Its happened a total of 50 times or so in the last year. I've tried to replicate the issue on purpose but I can't get it to happen. The issue happens a lot in slow moving traffic, but frequently when I turn off of a main road onto a slower side street. Seems to be somewhere in the process of slowing down, it will downshift, then I must be hitting the gas just at the right time and it slams into 4th.

I've read a lot of people having shifting issues and there is a "TSB?" flash to be done. I can't find it in the paperwork, but I think somewhere along the line, that was done...but the complaints I've read about the shifting seem to be mostly guys that are towing. I don't tow anything.

I'm lost and at wits end with this truck. Anyone have any insight or help??

Thanks, and sorry this is so long winded. If you want the whole diatribe I'd be happy to share - but that will include my wife's 2016 explorer and how that is falling apart as well. I've just got so little faith in Ford right now.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:00 AM

Received 391 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by Lurch_man
I tried searching, and I can't quite find issues similar to mine.

I bought my truck new off the lot in 2015, its an XLT Sport, Super Crew, 2.7 2wd. Since day one I have been riddled with issues - broken window switch, defective dash, leaks, harsh transmission and a drivers seat that moves, on its own....while driving.

I took it to the dealer where I bought it, and in the first 21000 miles, it was at the shop 21 days. I really will try to not go into a rage about the shop but the problem is they kept promising to fix the issue "next time" and I didn't take it somewhere else sooner. I'll own the blame on that one for sure.

My chief complaint from real early on was that the drivers seat would lean forward while I drove. Every time I went anywhere, I found that I needed to lean the seat back 3-5 times per trip. I kept bringing it back. and I even explained that simply reclining the seat felt like the gears are grinding and shaking and the seat back is loose. One of the service advisers looked me in the eye and said it is supposed to be like that. My last trip to the dealer clearly didn't fix it and since my truck was set to go out of warranty, the adviser said he would take care of it and to bring it back if the issue persisted.

Fast forward, now I've been in the truck 3.5 years, and have just under 32k miles - out of warranty. I (finally I know) took it to another dealership and explained the seat issue again. come to find out the entire seat frame is defective and they want $1500 to replace it. I called the adviser from the other dealer and explained someone finally found the issue and he said something to the effect of "its out of warranty, I can't help you." I reminded him of his promise to take care of it and he said I need to call ford and start a claim.

I've called Ford and started a claim but I don't feel hopeful. Has anyone had experience with this process? Any tips?

The transmission - oh brother here we go again.....much like the seat, I have reported this issue to both service centers, but both can't "replicate" the issue so I am really needing help.

While driving (obviously) when the truck shifts from 5th to 4th at 29mph, it is a really harsh, audible shift. The first time it happened I thought I had been rear ended. Its happened a total of 50 times or so in the last year. I've tried to replicate the issue on purpose but I can't get it to happen. The issue happens a lot in slow moving traffic, but frequently when I turn off of a main road onto a slower side street. Seems to be somewhere in the process of slowing down, it will downshift, then I must be hitting the gas just at the right time and it slams into 4th.

I've read a lot of people having shifting issues and there is a "TSB?" flash to be done. I can't find it in the paperwork, but I think somewhere along the line, that was done...but the complaints I've read about the shifting seem to be mostly guys that are towing. I don't tow anything.

I'm lost and at wits end with this truck. Anyone have any insight or help??

Thanks, and sorry this is so long winded. If you want the whole diatribe I'd be happy to share - but that will include my wife's 2016 explorer and how that is falling apart as well. I've just got so little faith in Ford right now.
The hard downshift is a TSB and when the TSB is done, that hard shift is gone. I don't pull a trailer, so its not a trailer thing.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:17 PM

Received 320 Likes on 240 Posts

The only thing I can really comment on is the seat movement. My seat bottom would move up and down especially when I came to a stop. Very soon after I received a recall notification for a "Loose power seat adjuster pivot bolt". Recall number 17V767000. Not sure what years this covered but it fixed my seat. Before I took it in for the recall fix, I noticed a bolt was missing in the pivot location which was causing the seat to move up and down. All the dealer did was install a new bolt but it did fix it. You might want to look underneath and see if you can notice anything that doesn't look right.

Also, the seat moving on it's on is a very serious safety hazard and could possibly not function correctly if you were involved in a crash. I'd make sure to mention that to Ford.

Last edited by bcb97; 11-14-2018 at 03:19 PM.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:14 PM

Received 157 Likes on 118 Posts

I thought I had an issue like this with my truck, until I realized that when I leaned into the truck from the outside, I would sometimes touch the buttons and cause it to move. Really annoying. I wish the buttons were in a slightly recessed position where something like this couldn't happen so easily.
Old 09-13-2023, 02:54 PM

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Deleted

Quick Reply: 2015 XLT defective seat frame and harsh downshifting