Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 Worst Metal on Metal grinding ever!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 10:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 2015 Worst Metal on Metal grinding ever!

So here's the skinny: 2015 bought new in May of 2015, SuperCrew, 5.0, 4x4, 3.73, Tow Package, 47k current miles.

The other night, a few miles from the house, I make a simple left turn on a 2 lane paved road and the truck starts making the worst metal on metal grinding and screeching sound I've ever heard. This was not engine related and not in relation to RPMs. I stopped, got out and checked the rotors. They felt fine. It was late, I was close to home so I drove it some more and it quit after around 10 minutes. If it had been earlier in the day, I would have had it towed in and called for a ride, the sound was just that bad. Now it sounds fine, go figure?

After doing some research on here, I believe that this is IWE related to the drivers side at least or worse, both.

My question is this: Since it's currently driving and sounding perfect, What is the best way to get this addressed and fixed at the dealership? It's still under power train warranty. I was hoping to hear from someone who had been through this as to their approach with the dealership. I'm very skeptical as to getting this diagnosed and fixed correctly. Thanks for any and all input as always. R /

74JB
Old 07-03-2018, 10:13 PM

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Take note of how to make the noise happen. I have a 2018 that had an IWE problem (dealer said a check valve). Mine was grinding bad on right hand turns from the left front. Parking lot maneuvers. Took it in, explained how to duplicate it and they fixed it. Mind you, my truck had like 69 miles on it when it started doing it.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:48 PM
Scoundrel

Received 154 Likes on 108 Posts

I had something similar happen on my 2015. Lasted only a few seconds, then I couldn't make it happen again no matter what I did. After posting on here others chimed in that it was probably a small stone that got caught somewhere on the drivers side front brake rotor. Has never happened since, but the sound it made was exactly as you described. Hope yours is as simple.
Old 07-04-2018, 06:18 AM
Village Sociopath

Received 10,073 Likes on 6,507 Posts

Unless the dealer can replicate the grinding noise, they usually won't do anything. Unless they know you, can't really blame them.
Guys have had success by changing out the checkvalve, 10 minutes at the most, and cheap and easy. Obviously, Ford has somewhat admitted it can be a problem, since they updated the one previously used.
Here's a link,https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts...z-3a788-a.html
You could replace with a YG360 checkvalve as well, like many have done before the updated one came out. The YG360 might be found at some of the parts stores like Auto Zone. The dealer will have it as well.
Old 07-04-2018, 07:04 AM
Size Matters

Received 3,360 Likes on 1,698 Posts

SSM 47360 - 2013-2018 F-150, 2017-2018 Expedition/Navigator - Intermittent Grinding Noise From Integrated Wheel Ends (IWE) While Driving In Two Wheel Drive (2WD)

Some 2013-2018 F-150 and 2017-2018 Expedition/Navigator vehicles may exhibit an intermittent grinding noise coming from the right or left IWE area in 2WD mode. This may be caused by an intermittent leak in the check valve. Before completing any normal diagnosis suspect that the check valve is the root cause of the issue. If the check valve has been ruled out as the root cause for the issue refer to Work Shop Manual 308-07 and follow normal diagnosis.
The following 3 users liked this post by tmcolegr:
'74 Jailbreak (07-12-2018), 150 4x4 (07-04-2018), johnday in BFE (07-04-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 12:13 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to try and get it to replicate so I can record the noise. There's no way that the amount and intensity of the noise I listened to didn't cause any damage. I just hope I get some dealer cooperation under the powertrain warranty. Thanks again,
74JB
Old 07-10-2018, 02:50 PM
Village Sociopath

Received 10,073 Likes on 6,507 Posts

You might luck out and have minimal or no damage. When mine did it, I knew exactly what to do to stop. Thing is, every time I took it out of 4hi to go around a corner or curve, it would grind. Stopped grinding about 5 miles from the dealer, 35 from my house, so we couldn't replicate the sound. Bought a checkvalve over the counter and fixed it. Within the next week, I put 5100s on all the way around, and when I had the front apart, I checked the IWEs, no damage to either one. Chalked it up to good luck.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:58 AM

Received 179 Likes on 142 Posts

once you fix whatever the issue is you still need to pull off the iwe's to check for wear issues. If it's bad enough you can have fine metal shavings from the iwe teeth in your hubs needle bearings. If so they will need to be cleaned out so as not to cause other issues and more damage. If I was pulling them off to check them I would just replace them, they are not that expensive even the ford brand.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:06 AM

Thanks to all for the good info.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:26 AM

Received 260 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by '74 Jailbreak
So here's the skinny: 2015 bought new in May of 2015, SuperCrew, 5.0, 4x4, 3.73, Tow Package, 47k current miles.

The other night, a few miles from the house, I make a simple left turn on a 2 lane paved road and the truck starts making the worst metal on metal grinding and screeching sound I've ever heard. This was not engine related and not in relation to RPMs. I stopped, got out and checked the rotors. They felt fine. It was late, I was close to home so I drove it some more and it quit after around 10 minutes. If it had been earlier in the day, I would have had it towed in and called for a ride, the sound was just that bad. Now it sounds fine, go figure?

After doing some research on here, I believe that this is IWE related to the drivers side at least or worse, both.

My question is this: Since it's currently driving and sounding perfect, What is the best way to get this addressed and fixed at the dealership? It's still under power train warranty. I was hoping to hear from someone who had been through this as to their approach with the dealership. I'm very skeptical as to getting this diagnosed and fixed correctly. Thanks for any and all input as always. R /

74JB
I had my driver's side IWE act up in the spring. It was only intermittent and only when coming to a stop. Told the dealer and they know what it was immediately. Didn't even test drive it. Took it into the shop and hooked the IWE up to a vacuum pump and did a leak down test. It failed so they replaced it. Same thing happened with the passenger side a week later - same fix. If there is a problem with the IWE, they don't need to hear the grinding to diagnose it.

Quick Reply: 2015 Worst Metal on Metal grinding ever!