Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 LED Tail Lights Disintegrated Around Edge?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 08:49 AM
Problem Solver

Received 358 Likes on 262 Posts

Default 2015 LED Tail Lights Disintegrated Around Edge?

On my 2015 Lariat the tail lights seem to have the plastic just breaking away around the very edge of the plastic on the back.

I dont live in a muddy/gravel area, nor do I use a pressure washer every time I wash the truck - and the tail lights have never been removed for any reason.

I was wondering of this has happened to anyone else or if I'm alone in this? My family has a couple owners of 2015+ various trims and mine is the only one with this kind of issue happening.

Thoughts? I'm still under warranty and plan on bringing this up among other weird things in the next week, but wanted to reach out here to see if this is as weird as I think it is - especially on BOTH sides.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:55 AM

Received 2,548 Likes on 1,345 Posts

Given the location is the same on each side, do you by chance go through an automatic car wash, or use a power washer on your truck? It almost looks like high pressure water has been getting into that area and causing damage. All it would take is a spray to hit the area where the lens meets the body and I could definitely see that happening.

Could also be a defect in the design of these and they just erode away from normal wind getting in that area when traveling at higher speeds. But having seen how easily power washers/auto car washes can damage parts on vehicles this just screams that kind of issue to me.

Doesn't have to be a place you go to often, this could have happened all at once or it could have been happening over multiple trips. My 2017 is only a few months old so I don't have this (yet), but will be interested to hear from other '15 owners.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:05 AM
Problem Solver

I typically use an electric pressure washer to wash it in my driveway, and have gone to an automatic one a couple times (literally only a couple as I prefer to do this myself) - I know my personal one doesn't have the power to do this, but I'm sure the automatic one could have.

Would this kind of thing be covered under warranty? Is it not expected of owners to go to automatic car washes or use pressure washers?

However for 90% of my washes it's with a garden hose and sprayer head, only when it's gotten excessively muddy would i use a pressure washer (mainly for wheel wells)
Old 08-30-2017, 09:27 AM

Received 2,548 Likes on 1,345 Posts

Originally Posted by iRub1Out
I typically use an electric pressure washer to wash it in my driveway, and have gone to an automatic one a couple times (literally only a couple as I prefer to do this myself) - I know my personal one doesn't have the power to do this, but I'm sure the automatic one could have.

Would this kind of thing be covered under warranty? Is it not expected of owners to go to automatic car washes or use pressure washers?

However for 90% of my washes it's with a garden hose and sprayer head, only when it's gotten excessively muddy would i use a pressure washer (mainly for wheel wells)
Assuming you are still in the 36000 mile part of the 3/36, it should be covered under warranty. May even be able to ask them if they have seen this in other vehicles.

I would say it's fully expected for owners to use pressure washers and all that. Assuming that it was caused by pressure and water, which is only a guess, this could have happened during one event where the pressurized water just got in the right spot from the right angle, and wouldn't be a problem for most other owners.

It could have been your electric washer, it wouldn't take much pressure I imagine, it would be more an issue of getting just the right angle. It could have been a car wash, no way to know. Could have been neither.

But while bulbs in the tail lights may be wear and tear items not covered on the bumper to bumper warranty, the lens shouldn't be wear and tear and should be covered.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:36 AM

Received 877 Likes on 568 Posts

Do you have a spray in liner? I had spots like that on mine and it was spray liner overspray.
Old 09-01-2017, 10:58 AM
Problem Solver

I do have a spray in bedliner, but this is for sure the little ribs of plastic being gone. Theres little particles in there you can see, sadly I dont think its the bedliner.

I will see what the dealer says, I am in the 3/36k warranty (and got the extended warranty) - so it shouldn't be a problem.