Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 F150 LED headlight details

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 10:19 PM
LONE STAR

Received 629 Likes on 432 Posts

Default 2015 F150 LED headlight details

Not sure if this was posted. Took this from an article on Truck Trend -

LEDs may be all the rage in automotive accent lighting, having effectively supplanted HIDs as "the latest thing" in automotive illumination technology. While LED lighting has become relatively common in driving lights, taillights, and even interior lighting, it has yet to go mass-market on a large scale as the primary headlight light source. It is about to go prime time with the 2015 Ford F-150. In addition to its game-changing aluminum body, the truck will offer optional full LED headlights on higher-level trims.
LED lighting may be considered a fashion item for many premium and luxury models, but the technology has a very practical application and some compelling durability and longevity attributes compared with conventional halogen lighting. The LED headlights for the 2015 F-150 are expected to last five times as long as conventional halogen lights, and in most cases, is expected to last the life of the vehicle. LEDs are also much less susceptible to vibration than conventional filaments, and cast a brighter, more consistent light than halogen bulbs. LEDs are also simpler and more compact than HIDs.
The lenses on the 2015 F-150 are precision machined with 16 optical surfaces and 80 facets, allowing use of just a single LED per lamp for illumination.

Read more: http://www.trucktrend.com/features/n...#ixzz2wN4Lejiq
Old 03-19-2014, 12:27 AM
Eye of the Tiger

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Can you tell if the fogs are LED as well? Some pictures they look as if they are and others not.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:54 AM

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

I believe trim levels that have LED headlamps also have LED foglamps. But lower trim levels have conventional halogen lamps.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:39 AM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Ask a fireman if he will use a LED flashlight to go into a burning building...most will say no.

The problem with LED is it doesn't "cut through" like hid or halogen lights. The nice white light scatters. In fog the road in front of you just turns white. I will stay hid as long as I can...but there are a lot of advantages for LED...
Less power needed
Last longer
As bright as hid
Looks really cool <--my favorite part
Trendy

But for all out performance, I still prefer Hid.

Last edited by Cleanmaxx Brian; 03-19-2014 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:58 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Ford should have had offered hid's in the lower trim levels. Guess they didn't listen to owners including me complaining about the non hid headlights. I hope they fixed the output of the reverse lights.
The following users liked this post:
Coaster60 (04-08-2014)
Old 03-19-2014, 11:24 AM
Brodozin' through life

Received 1,345 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by Cleanmaxx Brian
Ask a fireman if he will use a LED flashlight to go into a burning building...most will say no.

They also don't use HID flashlights... lol

Also, if you go check out audi and BMW's led headlight technology i think you'd probably change your mind about the all out performance. projection, being able to direct your lights around on coming traffic, etc. The new technology in those headlights is amazing.

Last edited by AricsFX; 03-19-2014 at 11:26 AM.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:51 AM

Received 118 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Cleanmaxx Brian

The problem with LED is it doesn't "cut through" like hid or halogen lights. The nice white light scatters. In fog the road in front of you just turns white. I will stay hid as long as I can...but there are a lot of advantages for LED...
Less power needed
Last longer
As bright as hid
Looks really cool <--my favorite part
Trendy

But for all out performance, I still prefer Hid.
e

Yes I use a LED flashlight to go into a burning building. I have used both and the LED is by far the brightest and cuts through the smoke better than the old halogen ones we have. Side by side there is no comparison. LED is far superior. The Streamlight Survivor is the flashlight most of the departments use around here and they only sell a LED version now.
The following 2 users liked this post by kbass24emtp:
FX4life (03-20-2014), welder1 (06-15-2014)
Old 03-19-2014, 12:26 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kbass24emtp
e

Yes I use a LED flashlight to go into a burning building. I have used both and the LED is by far the brightest and cuts through the smoke better than the old halogen ones we have. Side by side there is no comparison. LED is far superior. The Streamlight Survivor is the flashlight most of the departments use around here and they only sell a LED version now.
What he said! The hand held we carry is a Streamlight SL-20. It has both LED and incandescent, I like that light because you can have both on at the same time but the LED is the better light source.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:50 PM

Received 102 Likes on 69 Posts

This may work for somewhere like florida where freezing rain. Slush and other winter ailments dont occur. But anywhere they do they will be worse than garbage. I like halogens because they melt all that crap off.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:17 PM
End of the Earth

Received 377 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by captainnemojr
Can you tell if the fogs are LED as well? Some pictures they look as if they are and others not.
Fog lights are still halogens for all trim levels.
The following users liked this post:
FX4life (03-20-2014)

Quick Reply: 2015 F150 LED headlight details