Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 bogging/shuttering 3.5 4x4. Cause???

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 12:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2015 bogging/shuttering 3.5 4x4. Cause???

My truck only has 400 miles on it but will bog down at slower speeds on hills. It normally won't last for more then 5 seconds before it drops a gear. You can hear it bogging down, feel it through the pedal and notice loss in power. Transmission as a whole just feels off( down hill, flat and up hill) First Ford so maybe I'm just spoiled by Toyota??? I've seen it trying to hold 4th gear at 20 MPH on a 5 percent incline and running at 900 RPM. Sport mode fixes it but I don't want to run that all the time. No TSB or issues from others that I have seen online. Service dept said it drives as it should.... Took my salesman for a drive and he noticed it but played it off as nothing and basically told me to move on.Hope I didn't make a 40k mistake. Any thoughts?
Old 11-19-2015, 04:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm very happy with my truck, but its tranny does fight me more than I think it should. Or at least more than other auto-tranny Fords I've owned over the years. It wants to run in 4th or 5th at low ground speeds (20-30mph) and is somewhat... reluctant... to downshift. Only 1200 miles on mine and haven't played with sport mode, which i understand helps, but like you not sure I want to run it all the time. I have not had the hard-shift TSB performed, but don't know if it applies to my 9/2/15 KC-built truck anyway. Good news is this could be adjusted since it's all computer controlled.

Last edited by ProBro; 11-19-2015 at 08:21 AM.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:41 AM

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I think it has to do with the rear end gears. Mine does the same thing and I have 3.55s. My old truck had same motor with 3.73s and never had a problem. My buddy has 3.31s and his does it worse then mine. I think they are geared to high.
Old 11-19-2015, 07:17 AM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Tuning on this '15 is definitely a little more geared towards fuel efficiency. I have 3.55 rear and mine will up shift quickly to get to fourth and fifth gear and is a little reluctant to downshift sometimes. I had a '12 with same rear and motor. My feeling is the regular mode is more conservative while sport mode is way more responsive than my 12.
Old 11-19-2015, 08:11 AM

Received 120 Likes on 98 Posts

I have observed this lag a few times myself. That being said the occasionally slow throttle response does not happen very often and it clears up pretty quick. I just assumed it's in the name of fuel economy but it could also be the motor needs some more data from sensors before it gets up and goes. Most of the time this motor is amazingly responsive.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 platinum 3.5, 4high & 4auto issues

I have this noise and vibration shuttering beneath the gas pedal & floor. It occurs only when I step on the gas at any speed or incline...only with stepping on gas in 4H or 4A (4x4).
Sometimes it is not felt, but will come back on at irregular times I step on the gas!

What can I do to fix this noise and vibration shuttering?
Old 11-23-2015, 12:17 PM

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

So it slows down when its going up a hill till it downshifts? That's normal for any vehicle. If you want it to drop a gear sooner just give it more gas. Sport/Tow mode will be difference since it changes shift pattern's
Old 11-23-2015, 12:43 PM

Received 83 Likes on 46 Posts

This has been noted/discussed a few times. Generally speaking, stock gearing/shift mapping in default Auto mode sucks and short of always being in Tow or Sport mode (both of which have their own challenges for normal use, such as aggressive *downshifting* on steeper grades) ... then there's little you can do, outside of a Tune (which usually come with revised shift mapping).

more discussion here
Old 11-23-2015, 01:54 PM

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob O
This has been noted/discussed a few times. Generally speaking, stock gearing/shift mapping in default Auto mode sucks and short of always being in Tow or Sport mode (both of which have their own challenges for normal use, such as aggressive *downshifting* on steeper grades) ... then there's little you can do, outside of a Tune (which usually come with revised shift mapping).

more discussion here
^^ What he said. I run my truck in Tow Haul a lot of the time for this very reason. I don't use sport because it locks out 6th gear.

Its annoying but "normal"

Quick Reply: 2015 bogging/shuttering 3.5 4x4. Cause???