Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 5.0 stalling - VCT solenoid replacement question

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 06:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question 2015 5.0 stalling - VCT solenoid replacement question

Hello, I have a 2015 F150 with the 5.0L V8. Once it is good and warmed up it experiences a rough idle and occasionally stalls. It never throws a check engine light. I've heard this is typically caused by a VCT/VVT solenoid or cam phaser issue. I am outside of warranty so it seems like replacing the solenoids is the more frugal option. My understanding is I have to remove the valve covers to access the solenoids, then they are visible. My question is do I need to remove the timing cover or does the solenoid have enough clearance to be removed with just the valve covers off? Also is there any reset, reprogramming etc of the computer or is it simply a plug and play replacement? Ideally I am looking at replacement solenoids and valve cover gaskets from rockauto and replacing them myself if it's as simple as I'm hoping.

Any information is appreciated, thanks!
Old 04-10-2019, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you get your problem solved?
Old 04-11-2019, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by bronco788
did you get your problem solved?
Unfortunately not. I recently ran 8oz of seafoam in my oil before I changed it and the problem seems to have improved a lot but it still stumbles every now and then.
The following users liked this post:
smn (04-11-2023)
Old 04-11-2019, 09:36 AM

Received 2,961 Likes on 1,649 Posts

Originally Posted by sirr0bin
Hello, I have a 2015 F150 with the 5.0L V8. Once it is good and warmed up it experiences a rough idle and occasionally stalls. It never throws a check engine light. I've heard this is typically caused by a VCT/VVT solenoid or cam phaser issue. I am outside of warranty so it seems like replacing the solenoids is the more frugal option. My understanding is I have to remove the valve covers to access the solenoids, then they are visible. My question is do I need to remove the timing cover or does the solenoid have enough clearance to be removed with just the valve covers off? Also is there any reset, reprogramming etc of the computer or is it simply a plug and play replacement? Ideally I am looking at replacement solenoids and valve cover gaskets from rockauto and replacing them myself if it's as simple as I'm hoping.

Any information is appreciated, thanks!
I don't know that simply replacing the solenoids will resolve the issue.
If you do choose to open up the front end and swap out the VCTs, my advice is to replace evrything up front. VCTs, tensioners, guides, timing chain etc.
The parts aren't that expensive and while you have the front open, replace everything.
Phild1115 (12-05-2021)
Old 04-11-2019, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Stu Cazzo
If you do choose to open up the front end and swap out the VCTs, my advice is to replace evrything up front. VCTs, tensioners, guides, timing chain etc.
The parts aren't that expensive and while you have the front open, replace everything.
Good advice, thanks! Definitely trying not to have to remove the timing chain cover but we will see how the truck treats me.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:52 AM

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts

Do you have a Check Engine Light?
Old 04-12-2019, 09:44 AM
Large Member

Received 709 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu Cazzo
That seemed to have fixed mine. I've got about 4,000 miles on it since the repair and the truck idles fine now. However, I agree, if I was fixing it myself I would probably do the whole shebang while I had it apart.
Old 04-12-2019, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by grimslade
Do you have a Check Engine Light?
Nope my truck has never thrown a code and it doesn't have any pending codes stored either.
Old 04-12-2019, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by SCrewYou
That seemed to have fixed mine. I've got about 4,000 miles on it since the repair and the truck idles fine now. However, I agree, if I was fixing it myself I would probably do the whole shebang while I had it apart.
What components were replaced on your truck? Glad to hear your issues have been resolved!
Old 04-12-2019, 02:48 PM
Large Member

Received 709 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by sirr0bin
What components were replaced on your truck? Glad to hear your issues have been resolved!
Bank 2 VCT solenoid was all that they replaced.
sirr0bin (04-12-2019)

Quick Reply: 2015 5.0 stalling - VCT solenoid replacement question