Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 3.5EB Bad Wiring Harness?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 03:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2015 3.5EB Bad Wiring Harness?

Recently began having issues with my 2015 F-150 XLT 3.5 EB and wanted to see if anyone else has had similar issues. Truck is at 51,000 miles.

Problem started with the truck going into limp mode while driving. Happened a few times before staying in limp mode. Pulled the following codes:
P051B
P06A7
P0A5A
P2138
I replaced the throttle body based on some reports I read on here, but it continued to throw the same codes. Took it to the dealer and they diagnosed a corroded BCM connector. The one on top of the drivers side wheel well in the engine compartment. They replaced it for $500 and I picked the truck up.

Made it 3 days and the truck went back into limp mode. This time no throttle response and it was towed to the dealer. Threw the following (different) codes this time:
P2122
P2127
Dealer claims there is a random voltage drop between PCM and throttle. They tried replacing the PCM under warranty but that did not solve the problem. Now they are claiming a new wiring harness is required and will definitely fix the problem. Cost $2500 for parts and labor and they claim not covered under warranty. Truck has been at the dealer over a month now. Dealer claims Ford cannot supply parts until 6/10/2019.

Anyone run into this issue before? Any suggestions for fighting this with Ford.

Sounds like this should be covered under the 80,000 mile emission warranty. Directly from the warranty guide "Also covered by the two emissions warranties are all emissions-related bulbs, hoses, clamps, brackets, tubes, gaskets, seals, belts, connectors,non-diesel fuel lines, sensors, and wiring harnesses that are used with components on the list of parts, above." PCM and throttle body are clearly listed in the emissions warranty and the voltage drop is between those two components.
Old 06-01-2019, 03:40 PM

Received 249 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by W2E5
Recently began having issues with my 2015 F-150 XLT 3.5 EB and wanted to see if anyone else has had similar issues. Truck is at 51,000 miles.

Problem started with the truck going into limp mode while driving. Happened a few times before staying in limp mode. Pulled the following codes:
P051B
P06A7
P0A5A
P2138
I replaced the throttle body based on some reports I read on here, but it continued to throw the same codes. Took it to the dealer and they diagnosed a corroded BCM connector. The one on top of the drivers side wheel well in the engine compartment. They replaced it for $500 and I picked the truck up.

Made it 3 days and the truck went back into limp mode. This time no throttle response and it was towed to the dealer. Threw the following (different) codes this time:
P2122
P2127
Dealer claims there is a random voltage drop between PCM and throttle. They tried replacing the PCM under warranty but that did not solve the problem. Now they are claiming a new wiring harness is required and will definitely fix the problem. Cost $2500 for parts and labor and they claim not covered under warranty. Truck has been at the dealer over a month now. Dealer claims Ford cannot supply parts until 6/10/2019.

Anyone run into this issue before? Any suggestions for fighting this with Ford.

Sounds like this should be covered under the 80,000 mile emission warranty. Directly from the warranty guide "Also covered by the two emissions warranties are all emissions-related bulbs, hoses, clamps, brackets, tubes, gaskets, seals, belts, connectors,non-diesel fuel lines, sensors, and wiring harnesses that are used with components on the list of parts, above." PCM and throttle body are clearly listed in the emissions warranty and the voltage drop is between those two components.
Sure sounds like emissions warranty. Keep a level, cool head when you discuss it with them. Did you point out that to them already?
I had an '18 that ford bought back due to a wire harness that took WAY too long to sort out.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:32 PM

Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

Sorry I'm no help but had the same thing happened to me. At 51k the wires for my.ABS and back up camera burned up. Took it to the dealer they wanted to swap entire harness underhood for 2700 bucks. Independent shop fixed wires for 750 and I'm sitting at Toyota right now trading it in on a 19 tacoma.
Old 06-02-2019, 12:32 AM
Gone Golfin

Received 2,270 Likes on 1,391 Posts

Originally Posted by RX1Cobra
Sorry I'm no help but had the same thing happened to me. At 51k the wires for my.ABS and back up camera burned up. Took it to the dealer they wanted to swap entire harness underhood for 2700 bucks. Independent shop fixed wires for 750 and I'm sitting at Toyota right now trading it in on a 19 tacoma.
Why the downgrade?
Old 06-02-2019, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by RX1Cobra
Looking at doing the same! Just waiting to get the F-150 back so I can unload it and go back to Toyota. Having the F-150 drop into limp mode going down the interstate was not a reassuring experience.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:27 AM

Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

Looking at doing the same! Just waiting to get the F-150 back so I can unload it and go back to Toyota. Having the F-150 drop into limp mode going down the interstate was not a reassuring experience.
I for sure miss the power of the 3.5 ecoboost compared to this but other than that great truck. I had no real reason for a full size as I only tow a side by side or a 2 place snowmobile trailer. I'm happy so far.

Old 06-14-2019, 04:55 PM

Just an update, dealer still has the truck and Ford still does not have replacement wiring harnesses. Asked the dealer about the emissions warranty and they acted like they have never heard of it. The system just says "it is not a warranty part" according to them.

Ford customer service is about as useful as talking to a wall. No one can tall me when parts will ship, so no idea when I will have my truck back. Only been 6 weeks... and now they want to loaner back.
Old 06-17-2019, 02:38 PM

Does anyone have contact information for someone at Ford that can help with parts on back order and/or warranty claims? Dealer claims Ford was set to ship new wiring harness on 6/10 and now they have no ETA and no parts. I called Ford customer service and they would not direct me to anyone other than the dealership. No one has answers or expected timeline.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:46 AM

Received 249 Likes on 173 Posts

Does anyone have contact information for someone at Ford that can help with parts on back order and/or warranty claims? Dealer claims Ford was set to ship new wiring harness on 6/10 and now they have no ETA and no parts. I called Ford customer service and they would not direct me to anyone other than the dealership. No one has answers or expected timeline.
Is this the harness between the engine and transmission?
The failure point seems to be on previous ones was the power and ground connections, perhaps slightly under engineered for the load. PLEASE Please please, if you change this out or have it changed, post pics of the connectors ends or what may be the fault?
If it is indeed the power pins, this may be a common fault mode, and not too terribly difficult to supplement this connection, if it fails for others after warranty is long gone.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by F175
Is this the harness between the engine and transmission?
The failure point seems to be on previous ones was the power and ground connections, perhaps slightly under engineered for the load. PLEASE Please please, if you change this out or have it changed, post pics of the connectors ends or what may be the fault?
If it is indeed the power pins, this may be a common fault mode, and not too terribly difficult to supplement this connection, if it fails for others after warranty is long gone.
I'll post updates when I hear back from the dealer. There is a random voltage drop between the PCM and Throttle Body. This was demonstrated by the technician as he plugged it up to the computer. I requested the parts be returned to me when removed.

Sounds like a common problem, 5 dealers are waiting on this same main wiring harness. Ford has a back order until June 27th. Still pushing for this to be covered under the 8-year/80,000 mile emission warranty.

Quick Reply: 2015 3.5EB Bad Wiring Harness?