Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 cap on a 2015?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 09:30 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Default 2014 cap on a 2015?

Hello, new guy here and have a 2016 5.5 Lariat screw on order.

I have searched and could not find a definitive answer.

I know the tailgate is a completely different shape on the '15s. Is this the only thing preventing a 2014 style cap fitting on a 15+? Has anyone actually tried one on their truck?

Members report that the bed dimensions are close enough that a '14 tonneau cover will fit a '15, so thought the cap might also.

Used caps are about 1/3 the price of new. There are lots of '14s for sale with guys upgrading to the new generation.

I am hoping that maybe I could just order a new rear door for a '15 cap and put it on the used cap. I would pick up a leer, lots for sale and I have a good dealer. I am sure a new glass door would be expensive but caps are pretty pricey in Canada right now due to the dollar exchange. I am going to measure some boxes myself at the dealer on Sunday when they are closed.
Old 02-13-2016, 11:52 AM

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

The bed rails are lower. The transition from the bed to the cab is different.

It sounds like it is close, depends what you are willing to do in the first place and live with after the fact.
Old 02-13-2016, 12:52 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Danager
The bed rails are lower. The transition from the bed to the cab is different.

It sounds like it is close, depends what you are willing to do in the first place and live with after the fact.
Thanks for the reply. I did not know about the bed rail and cab transition. Probably not worth it when you have to buy a door and still have it look goofy on a $50 000 truck. I just hate to see how badly a new cap depreciates, but that is the price for a new gen body style.

Quick Reply: 2014 cap on a 2015?