Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.7L Oil Change - Am I Being Ridiculous?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 11:47 AM

Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts
Default 2.7L Oil Change - Am I Being Ridiculous?

Took my truck in to a Ford dealer for an oil change yesterday and when I checked the level at lunch after sitting for an hour, the oil level was up where the dip stick twists, above the MAX dot.

I went back during my lunch break, sat in the parking lot while I ate (15 min) then dragged the service advisor out there to show. It was high, she wasn't too worried which bothered me. Anyway, the techs were at lunch and couldn't look at it for about an hour and I had to get back to work.

I brought it in first thing this morning and they were supposed to fix it, their "fix" was apparently adding more oil cause it was worse. They supposedly were going to wait 15 minutes and check it before getting me. So it went back to the techs for a "more experienced" tech to do... are you kidding? This is an oil change!

I'm now wishing that I hadn't already payed for the 100k service plan. It's been 3 hours so far when I can do it myself, CORRECTLY, in about 45 minutes, and not miss hours at work.

So, am I being too picky about the oil level?
Old 04-13-2017, 11:55 AM

Received 221 Likes on 162 Posts

When the dealer filled mine, It was barely above the full mark which I gladly accepted because that little bit will be just right about the amount the turbos will burn up between changes
Old 04-13-2017, 12:04 PM
Gone Golfin

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,391 Posts

Originally Posted by KG7BTU
No. They put marks on the dipstick for a reason....
Old 04-13-2017, 12:19 PM

Received 78 Likes on 40 Posts

The only way to know it will be done right is to do it yourself. Unless its warranty work, I don't let anyone touch my vehicles.
The following 2 users liked this post by intofx:
ShadyNinja (04-14-2017), speeddemon0712 (04-13-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 12:19 PM

Received 117 Likes on 32 Posts

I took mine back after the last oil change because mine was at the twist. They said it wasn't an issue. 2.7L oil change and tire rotation in under 15 minutes. I knew as soon as they finished that all of the old oil did not drain out. They didn't seem concerned either.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:23 PM
09 FX4

Received 179 Likes on 89 Posts

They simply didn't follow the correct procedure for the 2.7L. There is a SSM sent to all dealers:

SSM 45195 - 2015 F-150/Edge And 2016 MKX Equipped With A 2.7L - Engine May Appear To Have Low Oil Level

Some 2015 F-150/Edge and 2016 MKX vehicles equipped with a 2.7L engine may appear to have low engine oil level if the proper procedures are not followed. Refer to the Owners Guide, Maintenance, Engine oil check section. When checking the engine oil level after shutting off the engine, wait at least 15 minutes prior to checking in order to allow the oil to drain back to the oil pan. The engine oil level can be checked immediately if the engine has not been started. When changing the engine oil, the engine needs to be at normal operating temperature and the oil filter removed before draining the oil. Allow the oil pan to drain completely for up to 5 minutes. Check oil level after filling by following the oil level check procedure.
The following users liked this post:
Ricktwuhk (04-13-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 12:24 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I wonder if they are mixing up the capacities of the 2.7 vs the 3.5? I'm a newbie but I wonder if they 3.5 holds more oil and they screwed up putting that amount in your 2.7.

Also, I would recommend the Fumoto 107N oil pan valve (replaces the oil drain plug). It makes oil changes much easier, but as an added benefit, when it's accidentally over filled, it's really easy to just drain a little bit out instead of pulling the drain plug and trying to drain out just a little bit (next to impossible).

Just my $0.02. :-)
The following users liked this post:
cosmok (04-13-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 12:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I regret getting the service plan myself. Ford techs just seem inadequate and their qc is terrible. I'm sure they aren't all that way but....they did scratch my truck on its first oil change and wouldn't own up to it.

Originally Posted by KG7BTU
Took my truck in to a Ford dealer for an oil change yesterday and when I checked the level at lunch after sitting for an hour, the oil level was up where the dip stick twists, above the MAX dot.

I went back during my lunch break, sat in the parking lot while I ate (15 min) then dragged the service advisor out there to show. It was high, she wasn't too worried which bothered me. Anyway, the techs were at lunch and couldn't look at it for about an hour and I had to get back to work.

I brought it in first thing this morning and they were supposed to fix it, their "fix" was apparently adding more oil cause it was worse. They supposedly were going to wait 15 minutes and check it before getting me. So it went back to the techs for a "more experienced" tech to do... are you kidding? This is an oil change!

I'm now wishing that I hadn't already payed for the 100k service plan. It's been 3 hours so far when I can do it myself, CORRECTLY, in about 45 minutes, and not miss hours at work.

Old 04-13-2017, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by intofx
The only way to know it will be done right is to do it yourself. Unless its warranty work, I don't let anyone touch my vehicles.
I'm at the point where I would happily do it myself, and I could probably fix the problem quickly myself too, but I had already paid for it so I figured I should have them fix it.

Has anyone had Fords service plan (I'm not sure what exactly they call it) refunded? I can handle the regular stuff (tires, filters, oil) and just pay for any other maintenance as needed.

I did get the service managers contact info, I will be writing him an email explaining that his techs are incompetent and need to be retrained. They also gave me a free oil change, so I have one extra one to squeeze into the 13 I prepaid for, if I decide to come back.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by stormsearch
They simply didn't follow the correct procedure for the 2.7L.
I know they didn't follow the procedure, whether they didn't let it drain all the way and then just put the rated 6 qts in, or didn't wait to measure before adding extra, the evidence is clear they did it wrong.