Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.7L EcoBoost Engine - Oil Filter Service Tip ***SSM 47922***

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 04:42 AM
Size Matters

Received 3,360 Likes on 1,698 Posts
Default 2.7L EcoBoost Engine - Oil Filter Service Tip ***SSM 47922***

SSM 47922 - Various Vehicles - 2.7L/3.0L EcoBoost Engine - Oil Filter Service Tip

When servicing the oil filter on vehicles equipped with a 2.7L or 3.0L EcoBoost engine it is critical to inspect the oil filter housing center stem to verify is not separated or damaged. If the center stem is damaged or separated from the housing this will result in oil flow through the reservoir drain port causing low engine oil pressure and internal engine damage. If the filter housing stem is damaged or separated, the oil filter housing must be replaced. If the center stem is not damaged or separated, the O-ring seals on the stem and housing must be replaced each time the filter is serviced.
Old 04-10-2019, 05:58 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tmcolegr
SSM 47922 - Various Vehicles - 2.7L/3.0L EcoBoost Engine - Oil Filter Service Tip

When servicing the oil filter on vehicles equipped with a 2.7L or 3.0L EcoBoost engine it is critical to inspect the oil filter housing center stem to verify is not separated or damaged. If the center stem is damaged or separated from the housing this will result in oil flow through the reservoir drain port causing low engine oil pressure and internal engine damage. If the filter housing stem is damaged or separated, the oil filter housing must be replaced. If the center stem is not damaged or separated, the O-ring seals on the stem and housing must be replaced each time the filter is serviced.
My center stem has separated at every oil change since the initial. It snaps back into the housing. It separates when unscrewing the housing and is left there with the filter.

Last edited by GP-TJ; 04-10-2019 at 06:30 AM.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:20 AM

Received 564 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by GP-TJ
My center stem has separated at every oil change since the initial. It snaps back into the housing. It separates when unscrewing the housing and is left there with the filter.
Mine too. Thought it was as designed??
Old 04-10-2019, 08:16 AM

Received 1,585 Likes on 950 Posts

Interesting....mine has never come completely off, but it's always wobbly. As long as the stem is snapped back into place, not sure why that would be a problem. And replacing the o-rings is kinda what you're supposed to do anyway. Seems like an odd SSM....
Old 04-10-2019, 08:24 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dalola
Interesting....mine has never come completely off, but it's always wobbly. As long as the stem is snapped back into place, not sure why that would be a problem. And replacing the o-rings is kinda what you're supposed to do anyway. Seems like an odd SSM....
Mine always snaps back into place without issue. There is a spring loaded valve built into the stem and I could see it being an issue if not put back together.

Should I buy a new one?
Old 04-10-2019, 12:05 PM

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Mine always snaps back into place without issue. There is a spring loaded valve built into the stem and I could see it being an issue if not put back together.

Should I buy a new one?
I sure would they are cheap enough from Tasca FT4Z-6A832-C
Old 04-10-2019, 02:32 PM
2018 XLT FX4

Received 641 Likes on 396 Posts

This was the case with my '15 and I thought it was normal because it would snap right back into place upon reinstalling, but on my '18 the stem stays firmly attached to the housing. I actually tried to remove it to no avail. Glad I didn't force it! I do replace the O-Rings at every oil change, as well. Those little ones are a serious PITA, even with a little oil!
Old 04-10-2019, 02:58 PM

Received 430 Likes on 329 Posts

I'm fixing to buy a hot spare. There are people that have had some snap off - or people see plastic in their oil filter. (there's a thread on here even)

depending on age of the device it's held in with a plastic retainer - if that breaks the stem could move. if it moves you could lessen the oil pressure . . . . .

So check that your stem is still erect and stiffly held in place. yeah, that'll work.

Like owning a spare plug - this might be a good thing to keep on the shelf.
The following users liked this post:
Wrenchbender (04-10-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 03:27 PM

Received 2,584 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Originally Posted by Napalm
So check that your stem is still erect and stiffly held in place. yeah, that'll work.
The following users liked this post:
FloppyRunner (09-25-2021)

Quick Reply: 2.7L EcoBoost Engine - Oil Filter Service Tip ***SSM 47922***