Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.7 SSM #45195 (oil overfill) - Can Someone Please Post The Official Memo?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 08:54 AM

Received 557 Likes on 402 Posts
Default 2.7 SSM #45195 (oil overfill) - Can Someone Please Post The Official Memo?

I know it's been posted before but my forum and Google searches are coming up empty.

Can someone who has access please post the official SSM (#45195) that relates to the potential issue of overfill in the 2.7 or share the link where I can find it.

I'd like to have this for next time I go into the dealer for my oil change. Thanks.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:04 AM
Some guy

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,286 Posts

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/oil-o...2/#post4742429
Old 10-25-2016, 09:10 AM

Thanks, Martian - This post is actually what made me think about this. I was hoping someone had the official pdf of the memo that I could print out.

I'm almost positive I've seen it before but haven't been able to track it down in my searches.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:13 AM
Some guy

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,286 Posts

Hopefully you find it. I haven't been able to.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:45 PM

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Here is the relevant part of the article in Edmund's. I'm pretty sure this also applies to the 2016! Print this out in color, if you can. Show it to the service writer and tell them to pull up the SSM and show it to you. If necessary, get the service manager involved.

You must wait 15 minutes after shutting down any 2.7-liter EcoBoost mill before you check the oil. If not, you'll get a false reading that will almost certainly lead you to add more oil than the engine needs. Why? Something about the design of this engine's internal oil passages makes it take a long time for the oil to work its way down to the pan and the waiting dipstick.

This is real. The false reading and overfilling potential is significant, as I discovered during the oil change.

It's also weird. That's a ton of time, time that dealerships and lube places with the word "Jiffy" and "Quickie" in their titles can't afford to spend. Time is money, right? Time is also convenience for us civilians. No one I know spends that kind of time at a gas station whether we check the oil or not.

To be fair, the waiting period is mentioned in the owner's manual, but in a rather offhand fashion if you ask me. Something this unusual deserves multiple mentions, bold text and the sort of obvious warnings that owner's manuals are usually good at.

Besides, checking oil is so old-hat that I wouldn't expect anyone with any experience to consult this manual page to learn how. The wait is not mentioned in the Capacities and Specifications section that describes oil type and oil capacity of each of the F-150's four engines. That's a pity because most of us do routinely look there. It'd also be an effective place to point this out to the 2.7-liter V6 audience while leaving owners of the other engines out of it.

Ford has realized they haven't made this odd and potentially damaging trait of the smaller EcoBoost engine clear enough. They have released a Special Service Memo (SSM) to dealer technicians and are considering an under-hood sticker to draw owner and third-party mechanic attention to this specific requirement. You'll want to read on:

SSM 45195 - 2015 F-150/Edge And 2016 MKX Equipped With A 2.7L - Engine May Appear To Have Low Oil Level

Some 2015 F-150/Edge and 2016 MKX vehicles equipped with a 2.7L engine may appear to have low engine oil level if the proper procedures are not followed. Refer to the Owners Guide, Maintenance, Engine oil check section. When checking the engine oil level after shutting off the engine, wait at least 15 minutes prior to checking in order to allow the oil to drain back to the oil pan. The engine oil level can be checked immediately if the engine has not been started. When changing the engine oil, the engine needs to be at normal operating temperature and the oil filter removed before draining the oil. Allow the oil pan to drain completely for up to 5 minutes. Check oil level after filling by following the oil level check procedure.

Did you catch the implications of the last sentence? That could have been clearer.

The 15-minute wait, a.k.a. the "oil level check procedure," applies a second time after you add any oil because it'll take 15 minutes for that oil to reach the pan, too. It applies after refilling the engine during an oil change (boy, does it ever), and it applies when re-checking the level after adding top-up oil between changes.

Maybe this is why the same manual page strangely cautions against adding top-up oil unless the oil level drops below the low mark that most of us take to represent a full quart low. Presumably, any partial-quart top-up would require a second 15-minute wait to reconfirm the new level, and you could conceivably earn yourself a third 15-minute wait if you found you came up short and wanted to add still more. That's ridiculous, of course.

Clearly, you'll want to alter your oil maintenance habits if you own one of these. Check your oil at home instead of at the gas station, either in the morning before you start the engine or a good 15 minutes after you shut it off when you return home. Or take advantage of a coffee break, lunch hour, or any other opportune moment when the engine has been off for at least that long.

If you happen to live in some enlightened place where you can still get full service and the attendant says you're a quart low, do not believe it unless a full 15 minutes have passed since you shut off the motor. Check it yourself as described above instead.

I might never have known any of this if I hadn't decided to change our 2015 F-150's oil myself and run headlong into this issue in a most distressing way. I'll reveal more in the next installment and go into some of the other unusual quirks of what turned out to be an eye-opening (and rather simple) 2.7-liter F-150 oil change.

I'll be stopping at my dealer tomorrow and ask them to print out the SSM if I remember. I'll scan and post it, assuming I remember to ask for it. Having a 5.0, I don't have this issue.

Last edited by Ifallsguy; 10-25-2016 at 12:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tdog02 (10-25-2016)
Old 10-25-2016, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Ifallsguy
Here is the relevant part of the article in Edmund's. I'm pretty sure this also applies to the 2016! Print this out in color, if you can. Show it to the service writer and tell them to pull up the SSM and show it to you. If necessary, get the service manager involved.

You must wait 15 minutes after shutting down any 2.7-liter EcoBoost mill before you check the oil. If not, you'll get a false reading that will almost certainly lead you to add more oil than the engine needs. Why? Something about the design of this engine's internal oil passages makes it take a long time for the oil to work its way down to the pan and the waiting dipstick.

This is real. The false reading and overfilling potential is significant, as I discovered during the oil change.

It's also weird. That's a ton of time, time that dealerships and lube places with the word "Jiffy" and "Quickie" in their titles can't afford to spend. Time is money, right? Time is also convenience for us civilians. No one I know spends that kind of time at a gas station whether we check the oil or not.

To be fair, the waiting period is mentioned in the owner's manual, but in a rather offhand fashion if you ask me. Something this unusual deserves multiple mentions, bold text and the sort of obvious warnings that owner's manuals are usually good at.

Besides, checking oil is so old-hat that I wouldn't expect anyone with any experience to consult this manual page to learn how. The wait is not mentioned in the Capacities and Specifications section that describes oil type and oil capacity of each of the F-150's four engines. That's a pity because most of us do routinely look there. It'd also be an effective place to point this out to the 2.7-liter V6 audience while leaving owners of the other engines out of it.

Ford has realized they haven't made this odd and potentially damaging trait of the smaller EcoBoost engine clear enough. They have released a Special Service Memo (SSM) to dealer technicians and are considering an under-hood sticker to draw owner and third-party mechanic attention to this specific requirement. You'll want to read on:

SSM 45195 - 2015 F-150/Edge And 2016 MKX Equipped With A 2.7L - Engine May Appear To Have Low Oil Level

Some 2015 F-150/Edge and 2016 MKX vehicles equipped with a 2.7L engine may appear to have low engine oil level if the proper procedures are not followed. Refer to the Owners Guide, Maintenance, Engine oil check section. When checking the engine oil level after shutting off the engine, wait at least 15 minutes prior to checking in order to allow the oil to drain back to the oil pan. The engine oil level can be checked immediately if the engine has not been started. When changing the engine oil, the engine needs to be at normal operating temperature and the oil filter removed before draining the oil. Allow the oil pan to drain completely for up to 5 minutes. Check oil level after filling by following the oil level check procedure.

Did you catch the implications of the last sentence? That could have been clearer.

The 15-minute wait, a.k.a. the "oil level check procedure," applies a second time after you add any oil because it'll take 15 minutes for that oil to reach the pan, too. It applies after refilling the engine during an oil change (boy, does it ever), and it applies when re-checking the level after adding top-up oil between changes.

Maybe this is why the same manual page strangely cautions against adding top-up oil unless the oil level drops below the low mark that most of us take to represent a full quart low. Presumably, any partial-quart top-up would require a second 15-minute wait to reconfirm the new level, and you could conceivably earn yourself a third 15-minute wait if you found you came up short and wanted to add still more. That's ridiculous, of course.

Clearly, you'll want to alter your oil maintenance habits if you own one of these. Check your oil at home instead of at the gas station, either in the morning before you start the engine or a good 15 minutes after you shut it off when you return home. Or take advantage of a coffee break, lunch hour, or any other opportune moment when the engine has been off for at least that long.

If you happen to live in some enlightened place where you can still get full service and the attendant says you're a quart low, do not believe it unless a full 15 minutes have passed since you shut off the motor. Check it yourself as described above instead.

I might never have known any of this if I hadn't decided to change our 2015 F-150's oil myself and run headlong into this issue in a most distressing way. I'll reveal more in the next installment and go into some of the other unusual quirks of what turned out to be an eye-opening (and rather simple) 2.7-liter F-150 oil change.

I'll be stopping at my dealer tomorrow and ask them to print out the SSM if I remember. I'll scan and post it, assuming I remember to ask for it. Having a 5.0, I don't have this issue.
Thanks Ifallsguy, I appreciate it!!
Old 10-25-2016, 01:12 PM
Size Matters

Received 3,360 Likes on 1,698 Posts

I suspect SSM 45195 was replaced by SSM 45425

SSM 45425 - Effective Oct. 28, 2015
2015-2016 F-150, 2016 MKX And 2015 Edge - 2.7L - Appear To Have Low Oil Level

Some 2015-2016 F-150, 2016 MKX and 2015 Edge vehicles equipped with a 2.7L engine may appear to have low engine oil level if the proper procedures are not followed. Refer to the Owners Guide, Maintenance, Engine oil check section. When checking the engine oil level after shutting off the engine wait at least 15 minutes prior to checking in order to allow the oil to drain back to the oil pan. The engine oil level can be checked immediately if the engine has not been started. When changing the engine oil the engine needs to be at normal operating temperature and the oil filter removed before draining the oil. Allow the oil pan to drain completely for up to 5 minutes. Check oil level after filling by following the oil level check procedure.
Old 10-25-2016, 01:12 PM

Also, you will find Ford's instructions to wait 15 minutes on page 312 of the 2016 owner's manual. It's point 2 on the left column. I would open to that page and show it to the service writer. And I would go so far as to tell them I want to observe they follow the procedure as outlined by Ford when they change the oil.

Bets are they won't go for that.

Here it is:

ENGINE OIL CHECK
1. Make sure that your vehicle is on level
ground.
2. Switch the engine off and wait 15
minutes for the oil to drain into the oil
pan.
3. Set the parking brake and ensure the
gearshift is in park (P).
4. Open the hood. Protect yourself from
engine heat.
5. Locate and carefully remove the engine
oil level dipstick. See Under Hood
Overview (page 310).
6. Wipe the dipstick clean. Insert the
dipstick fully, then remove it again.
• If the oil level is between the lower
and upper holes, the oil level is
acceptable. DO NOT ADD OIL.
• If the oil level is below the lower
hole, add enough oil to raise the
level within the lower and upper
holes.
• Oil levels above the upper hole may
cause engine damage. Some oil
must be removed from the engine
by an authorized dealer.
7. Put the oil level dipstick back into the
oil dipstick tube and ensure it is fully
seated.
Adding Engine Oil
Note: Do not remove the filler cap when
the engine is running.
Note: Do not remove the engine oil level
dipstick when the engine is running.
Note: Do not add oil further than the MAX
mark. Oil levels above the MAX mark may
cause engine damage.

Last edited by Ifallsguy; 10-25-2016 at 01:16 PM. Reason: listed wrong page number
Old 10-25-2016, 01:30 PM

Thanks again guys for all the information. It looks like I have all the data I need now.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:16 PM

Let us know what comes of this.