Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.7 rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 10:38 PM

Received 108 Likes on 86 Posts

Default 2.7 rough idle

Does anyone else have a rough idle with your 2.7? Mine started about 5-6k miles ago, does it all the time regardless of a/c on or off, start stop on or off, etc. Truck has about 22k miles on it, plugs have been changed, has had a catch can installed for about 20k miles, cleaned map, checked for oil in the intake, its very dry with virtually 0 oil residue. I have check with Ford, they can't find anything wrong, has no codes and does not fall under the TSB for engine replacement issues. It burns 0 oil, I have no smoke ever. Truck runs great, mileage is awesome, just has a really rough idle. Its bad enough that you can see what I would consider "large" ripples in drinks in the cup holder. My wifes 2.7 idles so smooth you almost cannot tell its running. Both trucks are 2017 and were built a few weeks apart from each other. Just curious if anyone has experience this and did you remedy it?
Old 07-19-2018, 12:29 AM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Time to find another dealer. If your truck idles rough enough to shake water bring yours and your wife's to the dealer to show it's not "normal". With proof something is wrong they can do a lot more diagnostic for warranty claims.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:54 AM

Received 430 Likes on 329 Posts

Yeah since you happen to have another that acts so different you are in a unique position to explain the issues.

Simple first tests would include checking the spark timing and any fluctuations in the spark advance with the computer - what it is commanding it to do. Then I would also check fuel pressures just to make sure you didn't have idle fuel pressure issues. Easy enough test.

Then I would probably look at the following.
1) bad/.damaged engine mount. Early failures happen on things and perhaps you have one that isn't right
2) Bad Balancer - same reasoning
3) bad torque converter - this is easier to check. IIRC there is a pressure test for the transmission lines where at idle the pressure at the transcooler should be ______ psi and steady. Now as the rpms bobble it should bobble too but if it wasn't consistent it would point to something wrong in that converter and pump. Reason why I'd stop there - at idle even in drive - the transmission and it's fluid paths, valves etc should all still be in an idle state and thus causing no effect on the pressures.

Sight unseen that would be my first shots to look into.

Other possibilites would be the cam phaser.
Old 07-19-2018, 12:00 PM

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Mine will idle rough, from time, to time, but only after starting back up after the auto stop has shut it off (not restarting due me letting off the brake, but do to time being shut off sitting at a red light) I'll smooth out once I start moving again.
Old 07-19-2018, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by odd-6
Time to find another dealer. If your truck idles rough enough to shake water bring yours and your wife's to the dealer to show it's not "normal". With proof something is wrong they can do a lot more diagnostic for warranty claims.
Its been to 2 different dealers, for this issue and a drive line vibration. Neither issue has gotten fixed. Both dealers claimed the tires need balanced and the driveline angles were out, but both refused to fix the angles due to the fact I was planning to lower it.

One thing to note, it idles the exact same stock and with a 93 tune loaded. I originally thought maybe there was a glitch or something weird with the factory flash, asked the dealer to check that, they said it was up to date. So I bought a tune just to see if maybe that would smooth it out any as I planned to tune it anyways, but zero change to the idle. I even mentioned it to the tuner, he tried a couple of things just to see if it would help, but nothing. I loaded the stock tune back in for now until I can get it resolved.. Dealer said cam timing is right, ignition timing is fine, fuel trims are +- a few % all the time. Im baffled...

Beginning to regret buying this truck, Ive had a ton of issues with it in the 8 months ive owned it. Water pump leaked and was replaced the first weak, door handles "froze" up this past winter (dealer did nothing to fix them as it did not fall under the recall), it has a bad driveline vibration from 55-70 mph, rough idle, the tailgate lock actuator is going out, driver front seat had a bad popping noise when you lean back (dealer did nothing to fix this, I fixed it myself in 15 minutes with 2 zipties)... Pretty sure I got a monday or friday truck...
Old 07-19-2018, 01:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Almost sounds like you have a lemon for all the issues, hate that for you. Have you looked into your state lemon law and see what it entails. If it was one issue only it should be fixable but you have a unique situation.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:50 PM

does this roughness go away imediately after some throttle input.

Say like sitting at stop - at idle - shaking a bit and tach needle bobbles.

Then off the line - no hesitiation - accelerate strong and smooth

back to a stop - foot off gas - rpms fall down - by the time complete stop - the roughness is back OR does it take a few seconds?

If that situation plays out I might need to have the fuel system checked and you might have a bad injector. Odd but at idle and idle pressures it drips or doesn't fully spray - off idle it acts like the others. Incomplete igntition at idle causes the roughness but not enough to trip a knock event - off idle it runs like all other 5. Wouldn't show up on a fuel trim as the computer wouldn't be re-triming that bank. Might show up as a strange duration if you were looking at individual injector commanded durations - but I don't know if the scaners the dealer has can see that. A tuner could

If they replaced the spark plugs do you know if one was already fowled by chance? Eitherway with your driveline vibration issues I almost wonder if you have a transmission issue at the actual culprit. at one time there were a number of 6sp transmissions pulled because of the vibrations I believe.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by PBuck
Almost sounds like you have a lemon for all the issues, hate that for you. Have you looked into your state lemon law and see what it entails. If it was one issue only it should be fixable but you have a unique situation.
I've not looked into it really, but I have heard that Texas is not a "fair" state when it comes to lemon laws buy backs and what not.

Originally Posted by Napalm
does this roughness go away imediately after some throttle input.

Say like sitting at stop - at idle - shaking a bit and tach needle bobbles.

Then off the line - no hesitiation - accelerate strong and smooth

back to a stop - foot off gas - rpms fall down - by the time complete stop - the roughness is back OR does it take a few seconds?

If that situation plays out I might need to have the fuel system checked and you might have a bad injector. Odd but at idle and idle pressures it drips or doesn't fully spray - off idle it acts like the others. Incomplete igntition at idle causes the roughness but not enough to trip a knock event - off idle it runs like all other 5. Wouldn't show up on a fuel trim as the computer wouldn't be re-triming that bank. Might show up as a strange duration if you were looking at individual injector commanded durations - but I don't know if the scaners the dealer has can see that. A tuner could

If they replaced the spark plugs do you know if one was already fowled by chance? Eitherway with your driveline vibration issues I almost wonder if you have a transmission issue at the actual culprit. at one time there were a number of 6sp transmissions pulled because of the vibrations I believe.
No dips in rpm, no hesitation, etc. Probably the best way I could describe the roughness would be similar to a diesel truck running, where you can really feel the roughness and feel the engine running. I've monitored misfires to see if any were detected, all was ok there. I changed the plugs myself, all of them looked great except the gap was close to .050!! Which initally was a smoking gun, but I have put over 4k miles on it since the plug change and no difference. The potential injector issue you mention does make sense. I have a few other minor issues i need to get looked at so I am planning to schedule a time to take it back in.
Old 08-09-2018, 12:43 AM

Received 109 Likes on 98 Posts

You ever fix it?
Today mine was running rough at idle a couple of times. The rpms went down to about 400 that's when I barely felt it running rough. Then idle went back to 600 and was fine. After doing this a couple of times it then was normal.
Never got an engine light.
Got 47k miles.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:30 AM

seems there's been a number of fords that have had issues with spark plugs either cracked or otherwise damaged. you might have that issue instead. Seems to affect either ecoboost engine

Quick Reply: 2.7 rough idle