Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.7 EcoBoost cold-start rumbling & vibration

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 06:22 PM

Received 333 Likes on 214 Posts
Default 2.7 EcoBoost cold-start rumbling & vibration

Using 'search' didn't provide any matches, so now I'm really worried that this is a rare issue.

When cold starting my 2.7TT in the garage, the engine rumbles & vibrates for about a minute. With a remote start, I can hear the engine & feel the vibes throughout the house. After about a minute, the engine comes off fast idle and the noise-vibes diminish. Once warmed up, the engine will repeatedly restart all day with no issue. Any ideas?

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 12-22-2015 at 06:28 PM.
Old 12-22-2015, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm interested in this as well. I've noticed mine definitely runs at a higher than normal RPM when starting and after about a minute it settles down. I assume this is normal just not something I've experienced before. I wouldn't say that mine vibrates or rumbles obnoxiously. I just feel like it is making more noise in general due to the higher RPM
Old 12-22-2015, 06:29 PM

Received 187 Likes on 135 Posts

Post a video clip if you like, but it sounds like part of normal warm-up.

What you are hearing is the waste gates, sound stops after about the first 30 seconds right?
Old 12-22-2015, 06:29 PM

Received 73 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Curmudgeon
Using 'search' didn't provide any matches, so now I'm really worried that this is a rare issue.

When cold starting my 2.7in the garage, the engine rumbles & vibrates for about a minute. With a remote start, I can hear the engine & feel the vibes throughout the house. After about a minute, the engine comes off fast idle and the noise-vibes diminish. Once warmed up, the engine will repeatedly restart all day with no issue. Any ideas?
Sorry (actually happy) to say, mine does not do any of that.
Is the vibration anything similar to when you hit a few power chords on your Les Paul...?
Old 12-22-2015, 06:43 PM

Received 333 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by <-KJP->
Post a video clip if you like, but it sounds like part of normal warm-up.

What you are hearing is the waste gates, sound stops after about the first 30 seconds right?

My alarm began to rise when I noted the drywall vibrating in the rear of my 1500+ sq ft house at startup. Then I read somewhere of an OEM wrong-sized small O-ring on the oil filter stem that permitted oil draining from the filter housing resulting in dry starts. Then...

Yes, the rumbling stops within 30-40 seconds. But if this is waste gate sound, wouldn't it repeat at every startup regardless of cold or warm engine? I recognize that the brief fast startup idle is normal.
Old 12-22-2015, 06:50 PM

Received 187 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Curmudgeon
My alarm began to rise when I noted the drywall vibrating in the rear of my 1500+ sq ft house at startup. Then I read somewhere of an OEM wrong-sized small O-ring on the oil filter stem that permitted oil draining from the filter housing resulting in dry starts. Then...

Yes, the rumbling stops within 30-40 seconds. But if this is waste gate sound, wouldn't it repeat at every startup regardless of cold or warm engine? I recognize that the brief fast startup idle is normal.
No, those engines stay warm for a long time, you will only hear the wastegate (rattle) at cold start. This is not the same sound as your oil filter rubber seal issue.

Carefull starting your truck indoors, not good for you, kids or your pets, unless you have good ventilation in there.

The vibration going through your house is probably exhaust related(drone)bouncing of the walls, floors etc, none of it sounds like an issue.
Old 12-22-2015, 08:36 PM
F250>F150

Received 917 Likes on 483 Posts

When I cold start the truck idles up to about 1200 only to drop to about 800 after about 30 seconds. No weird vibrations or noises. Just higher RPMs which I figured was normal since turbos are supposed to idle/warm-up more as opposed to NA engines.

I thought I read somewhere that with a NA engine you want to get everything situated (seat belt, phone, mirrors, etc. then start up and go and with a turbo engine you want to start it first then do all that.
Old 12-22-2015, 09:07 PM

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

I think you and your house are picking up a resonant frequency of the exhaust at the slightly elevated cold-start RPM, that just happens to match the resonant frequency of objects in your house, ala drywall.

The behavior is most likely completely normal and nothing to be concerned with. There is no way the engine would vibrate to that degree. But exhaust would definitely do it. You could probably replicate it if you had someone slowly raise the RPMs while someone upstairs watches for things to get "excited".

Quick Reply: 2.7 EcoBoost cold-start rumbling & vibration