Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st oil change on 2.7L - Dealer necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 08:16 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 1st oil change on 2.7L - Dealer necessary?

Hey all -

On the 2.7L, do you think I can avoid the dealer for an oil change and going to a Jiffy Lube type location? Hate going to dealerships for a variety of reasons but wasn't sure given the issues with overfilling and the recommended engine cooldowns.

Sorry in advance if my dumb question offends anyone!
Old 03-24-2017, 08:21 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

DEFINITELY skip the Jiffy Lube type places. Dealerships don't always follow the proper procedure, I can guarantee the "quickie" type places won't always follow the procedure, either.

Have you thought about changing the oil yourself? It takes like $40 worth of tools if you own absolutely nothing (funnel, ratchet, socket, bucket, extension) and like a half hour of your day. My wife has changed the oil in my truck both times I've needed to.

I rotate tires at oil changes, but I wouldn't need a jack to just change the oil.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:34 AM

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by victorzamora
DEFINITELY skip the Jiffy Lube type places. Dealerships don't always follow the proper procedure, I can guarantee the "quickie" type places won't always follow the procedure, either.

Have you thought about changing the oil yourself? It takes like $40 worth of tools if you own absolutely nothing (funnel, ratchet, socket, bucket, extension) and like a half hour of your day. My wife has changed the oil in my truck both times I've needed to.

I rotate tires at oil changes, but I wouldn't need a jack to just change the oil.
Wow. Lucky guy. I wish my wife would take over the car maintenance duties. So how did you manage that?
Old 03-24-2017, 08:34 AM
Aspiring Banhammerator

Received 68 Likes on 51 Posts

Jiffy Lube?

Yikes
Old 03-24-2017, 08:35 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by victorzamora

I have thought about doing it myself - it takes me a little bit longer than the average person to learn these types of things. I haven't sat down to learn it. What's "easy" for the average person is probably difficult for me
Old 03-24-2017, 08:38 AM

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

I had the selling Dealer change oil in our
2016 F150 2.7
Invoice stated 5/20 oil and the part number for a Ford screw on filter
Return vehicle within the hour oil and filter changed to 5/30 and correct filter installed .Bought 5 Ford vehicles from same dealer in 10 years
First and last time any of my vehicles will be serviced by any dealer .
I have the tools and time and know how
Will change oil and filter this week myself to Mobil1 and perform 10000 mile service.I just don't have a warm fuzzy feeling for Any Dealer.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:52 AM

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I prefer the dealer do it. I get Fords "Works"
Cost like $45 and they rotate the tires, check all fluids and it creates a paper trail that you can see what services are done.
Also if there are recalls etc, Ford can take care of it while its in the shop for the change.
I used to change my oil, but it became a messy job, then you have to find a place to take the old oil to. Not worth the bother for me.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:20 AM
邱吉姆

Received 232 Likes on 159 Posts

Whichever you decide to do, always look over everything again before driving IE, check oil level, caps on, run engine and look for oil pressure and leaks around drain plug and filter.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:17 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I've always gotten mine done at the dealer they use semi synthetic and it's 40 bucks....basically cheaper than just about anywhere else, plus it all gets recorded that way and I dont have to deal with oil disposal...

Originally Posted by BenchOverBuckets
I have thought about doing it myself - it takes me a little bit longer than the average person to learn these types of things. I haven't sat down to learn it. What's "easy" for the average person is probably difficult for me
Not sure what your situation is but changing your oil is literally one bolt and then you have to remove the oil filter. It's something everyone should at least know how to do...like changing your tire.
The following users liked this post:
idrive (03-24-2017)
Old 03-24-2017, 10:36 AM

Received 166 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by wishiwas
I prefer the dealer do it. I get Fords "Works"
Cost like $45 and they rotate the tires, check all fluids and it creates a paper trail that you can see what services are done.
Also if there are recalls etc, Ford can take care of it while its in the shop for the change.
I used to change my oil, but it became a messy job, then you have to find a place to take the old oil to. Not worth the bother for me.

I just did my first oil change and level kit installed last week and do the same on all my vehicles "The Works" for $50 and an hour of my time its worth it....I stay away from the Jiffy-Lubes