Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1 year review - '18 RCSB

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 11:49 AM

Received 359 Likes on 197 Posts
Default 1 year review - '18 RCSB

So, Now that we've all made it to June, I've had my RCSB for 1 year. Here are some observations....

1. I've been getting better, overall MPG's than expected. -- I've not had a truck since a 2003 Dodge that .. well. that got 13.3 MPG. period. I'm continuing to averagely over 21 MPGs and that's even after level added. Got as much as 26 MPG on a 500 mile trip. So, quite pleased with MPGs
2. At first, I hated the Auto stop/start. Now, I found reasons to use it and reasons to turn it off. So, It's still a love hate relationship, but I don't have a reason to add a jumper or turn it off with FORScan at this point.
3. Ride quality. I find the ride on my 2WD with stock stocks (and level) really just needs a nice sway bar - I'll add that soon. Rear shocks could be better from factory, but are OK for my use. Handles bumps fine (at a least the road crap in my general area). I have 32" Falkens on and they seems to be quite a ride fine. It does float around a bit, I'm hoping the sway bar helps resolve most of that.
4. Interior has been perfect for me, with 2 exceptions. -- dash warp - I have it. will get it resolved sometime closer to end of warranty. Middle seat. I have not need and will be replacing it with a console at some point. The storage below the seat is nice, but would be a lot nicer if it was at a place that is slightly easier to access. Console should fix that.
5. Exterior. Been great - no complaints there, with one exception - Stock halogen headlights. They should be illegal in all 50 states and Canada. Replaced already
6. I have, a little over 15,300 miles on now and the 2.7l has been great for my needs. So no complaint. Transmission does not bother me at all either.
7. Exterior paint - seems to be easy to chip. I don't have swirl marks in much yet. so no issues with that, at least.
8. Stock rake. Never really cared for it. Now that I have it leveled, it rides just slightly harsher in the rear, but overall I don't really feel much if any difference in it's day to day drivability. I want to add something to prevent a large sag when loaded, but that will be either a RAS or a replacing the yellow bumper above the spring. Not sure which way I want to go. Planning on getting a trailer first and seeing which one it really needs as the load on the hitch will be different then the load in the bed.

Overall, quite pleased with the RCSB. Fits my daily needs fine. Compliant enough ride that I don't have any need to make shock changes today. FORScan is a nice tool to make some "fine tunes" on how everything functions. With a tool box on the bed, it makes it nice for sorting some of the "stuff one should keep in or on a truck. Plan to move the jack to there once I find a proper carrying case for it. I'd buy one again, exactly like what I have now. 5.0 if I was going to add a Whipple, otherwise the 2.7L or 3.5L would be fine for my purposes.
The following 4 users liked this post by whoch:
2017bluetruck (06-17-2019), Husker (06-18-2019), OCMike (06-18-2019), SPOAT (06-17-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 08:05 PM

Received 602 Likes on 299 Posts

Got to love single cabs. It will be a year next month with mine. Not as fancy as yours but like you, there's a lot of good things about her. Thanks for sharing this review, very nice.
The following users liked this post:
whoch (06-18-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 09:01 PM

Received 142 Likes on 91 Posts

Good to hear that your are happy.

I am am not quite a month into mine and I really like it. My old regular cab was an 08 with the access cab, which was about 8 inches more behind the seats, that is the only thing that I miss. Really like this 2.7 in sport mode!
whoch (06-18-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 10:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What fuel do you usually run in your 2.7?
Old 06-18-2019, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by Kamel37
What fuel do you usually run in your 2.7?
Usually premium. ‘91 or ‘93 depending on where we stop. Usually ‘93 though. Going to get a tune for that eventually. I know it’s not needed. Some will say a waste. But been running same fuel over so long that I don’t really notice the extra cost. And figure if it runs well. Might as well just keep it there.
Old 06-18-2019, 05:05 AM

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Regular cab, 2.7 with 3.73 should be very quick. What do you think it will run 0-60mph and quarter mile?
Old 06-18-2019, 05:28 AM

It does run nicely. No idea on 0-60. Figure to look into that about when I’m getting a tune done. One of the reasons I got the 3.73 gears was to help with that. Seems to be a pretty good setup. I did see where a good tune brought it down to ~5 seconds or a little better. Which is a nice number for me.
ESJAY (06-18-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 07:41 AM

A friend has a similar truck to yours on order, except with 8’ bed. I’m thinking traction will be the biggest problem. Even my Supercrew is light on the rear end.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:00 AM

I can def. see that. I can feel the Falkens struggling now and then as it is. Especially when pulling out hard or when in traffic, changing lanes and accelerating up to speed pretty hard, I can feel the tires struggling a bit. With the way the turbo's can come on and the 3.73 gears. A tune will make it a lot of fun! The 3.73 gears with the 2.7L and the 10 speed is a very nice combination. Especially in the Regular cab. I thought hard about looking for a 5.0 with the 3.73 gears instead. It was the hardest thing to move from the "needs to have" to the "wants to have column" on my spreadsheet of every option known to a RCSB.. With 1 year in now, In the end, I decided that I would get the 2.7L and mod the stuff I really need to it as I can. As most of that would have needed to be added anyway. So smaller initial cost made the most sense (or maybe I'm finally starting to act at least a little towards my age??). I"m happy I kept to my goal.

I sort of think that some of these engines / transmissions combinations all work better/worse based on where you live. I live in a very flat area and my daily drive is before traffic is heavy and just at the start of rush hour in the afternoon. it's also a higher speed highway area as it's 75 or even higher on many roads around the area. Here in TX we hardly get bad winter weather, we get ice some times and some really hard rain, but overall the roads don't take the poundings from the weather like they do in many states. All of that probably helps with my daily driving, gas mileage, etc..

Last edited by whoch; 06-18-2019 at 08:05 AM.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:25 AM

The Ecoboost puts out gobs of torque at fairly low rpm. Together with the 10 speed, it’s a great combination.

Quick Reply: 1 year review - '18 RCSB