Topic Sponsor
Painting and Body Work Discuss any body work or painting issues here.

Scratch Wizard review w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 10:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Scratch Wizard review w/pics

Disclaimer: I am far from a professional and if I had this to do over again, I would have painted the entire panel on the bumper, (and I may yet do that). However, I am happy with the results.

So I hadn't had my 2017 truck for a week when I scraped the rear bumper on a light post while backing into a parking spot a church.

I ordered the kit in eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/321945158754 and did the repair yesterday. All things considered, I am happy with the results.

Scratch through the paint with a slight dent in the bumper.

Mask and tape off area to be repaired. I should not have taped off so close to the repair on the right side.

Fill in scratches and dent.

I took a couple of applications of the filler to get the desired results. It dries quickly, 5 minutes between applications.

Sanded and ready for primer.

Primer.

Finished product after base coat and clear coat. Total time about 2 hours.
The following users liked this post:
Haktan (06-27-2020)
Old 08-05-2017, 06:45 PM

Received 3,011 Likes on 1,669 Posts

The last photo has a totally different angle and it's really tough to tell the results.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2008__XL
The last photo has a totally different angle and it's really tough to tell the results.
You're right. Here are a couple more, the result is still not perfect, but I'm happy.

Old 09-02-2017, 11:47 AM
Collision Journeyman

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

dents still there , u should have blocked it . next time put enough filler to do it in one shot . then sand to shape . Also u dont put fillers on paint bare metal only . it will claw back over time. also looks like you used way too much hardener . which will cause bleed thru.
Old 09-02-2018, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As they say in Atlantic City, they will never see it from the boardwalk I have been painting cars for 40 years now. Every year I swear I'll never paint car again and every year one pops up. The body filler can says multiple coats. Most body men but a heavy coat on and working it down preventing low spots. As for body filler over bare-metal you're looking for rust problem down the road. I prime it 1st with my primer which is nonporous do my body filler, put another coat over the repair prime and paint. I have had really good luck with this technique

Last edited by mastercoat; 09-02-2018 at 08:46 AM.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:18 AM
Collision Journeyman

Originally Posted by mastercoat
As they say in Atlantic City, they will never see it from the boardwalk I have been painting cars for 40 years now. Every year I swear I'll never paint car again and every year one pops up. The body filler can says multiple coats. Most body men but a heavy coat on and working it down preventing low spots. As for body filler over bare-metal you're looking for rust problem down the road. I prime it 1st with my primer which is nonporous do my body filler, put another coat over the repair prime and paint. I have had really good luck with this technique
bad advice . like i said body fill is formulated to work on bare metal . when it claws back it will leave the primer u put on exposed to moisture causing rust and we all know how primer likes to soak things in . also a pro like myself trys to keep the fill to 1/8 of an inch even tho your allowed up to 1/4 inch thick . But hey that was some fancy talk !

Last edited by RubberShield; 10-08-2018 at 11:21 AM.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Master coat primer is completely nonporous, no oxygen no moisture and no solvent can penetrated it. Body filler over bare-metal is where production shops do. This is the reason that I painted my own cars. The whole purpose is to preserve the vehicle as long as possible for future generations. For instance epoxy primers like DP 45 with 5 color coats and 2 coats of clear passes the 500 hour Salt spray test. Master coat primer does in excess of 8000 hours of salt spray.By using A primer like this under and over the filler will preserve the repair for many years to come
Old 10-09-2018, 10:49 AM

Received 2,210 Likes on 1,690 Posts

Its always fun to make an attempt at something such as this and have a smile on your face, even though its not perfect! Congrats on your first attempt and learn from it!
Old 10-12-2018, 06:54 PM
SoFlo5.0_4x4

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

Looks better than it did before. If it does ever rust 10 years from now, just buy a new bumper. I'm glad I have the chrome one. Backed into a pole that came out of nowhere a couple of weeks ago. Popped the plastic top cover back down and still looks perfect. Painting stuff yourself is always fun. I've done many sets of wheels, interior pieces, accesories, body parts. Practice and experience definitely helps. Especially getting your spray technique right and preventing runs. Proper painting conditions helps too. I've seen **** bubble up right after spraying just cause of the temperatures.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:21 AM
Collision Journeyman

most stuff is formulated to work at room temps