Topic Sponsor
Painting and Body Work Discuss any body work or painting issues here.

Paiting Textured Plastics

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 07:10 PM
Zax
♫♪ I Hold On ♫♪

Received 77 Likes on 72 Posts

Default Paiting Textured Plastics

I just bought a 2014 STX Screw in Sunset Metallic (D7) and was curious about something. My local body shop said that I would have to replace all the door handles and tail gate handle with the paint able version and since I want to add heated mirrors I would have to get the mirrors with PTM caps...any chance I could simply just sand them down and have them paint them? Or is it even that important to sand them. I know when it comes to painting stuff so I'm hoping someone here can educate me.

Thank you!
Old 02-21-2014, 07:42 PM
Moochine Deats

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I painted my dash before and just used scuff prep with scotch brite pads and it works fine. Being outside and used alot more you should probably sand it with some 400 or 600 grit and use some plastic adhesion promoter and use good urethane base then clear paint and you shouldnt have any issues
Old 02-21-2014, 10:46 PM
Automotive Refinish Tech

Received 1,747 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Ptm parts are that for a reason. Ready for paint. Textured plastic is not designed to be painted. They must likely don't want to do your texture ones, because they can't guarantee the work. You can do it. I have, but I don't recommend it. You would have to thoroughly sand out all the texture. If I had a brand new 14 f150, I would do it the right way. And get real ptm parts. But it is your truck, and you can do what you want. Check eBay for the handles, you can probably get then for a low price, then just have the shop paint them. Any handles years 09-14 will fit.
The following users liked this post:
Zax (02-22-2014)
Old 02-22-2014, 01:24 AM
Zax
♫♪ I Hold On ♫♪

Originally Posted by mbullock
Ptm parts are that for a reason. Ready for paint. Textured plastic is not designed to be painted. They must likely don't want to do your texture ones, because they can't guarantee the work. You can do it. I have, but I don't recommend it. You would have to thoroughly sand out all the texture. If I had a brand new 14 f150, I would do it the right way. And get real ptm parts. But it is your truck, and you can do what you want. Check eBay for the handles, you can probably get then for a low price, then just have the shop paint them. Any handles years 09-14 will fit.
Thanks mbullock. That's what I was expecting to hear but wanted to double check. I don't mind paying more just wanted to make sure it was justified cost.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:24 PM

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

Sanded plastic pieces can and will hold up just as well as a PTM piece directly from Ford with the proper prepwork. Yes the texture needs to be all sanded out, but that shouldn't be a problem as it's not grained into the plastic, it's all raised/textured on there. Sand it with 180 grit until it's gone, follow that with 320 and 400 grit, then clean with dish soap or a de-greaser. Spray with a plastic prep or adhesion promoter (Bulldog brand is acceptable), prime with a decent sandable primer then paint/clear as normal. I've done this time and time again with no problems as long as all the texture is sanded out before you proceed with the priming and painting process.

Here's my last go around with sanding and painting plastics...

Old 02-28-2014, 09:27 PM
Automotive Refinish Tech

Received 1,747 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Never said it won't hold up. Just saying the body shop most likely won't do it because they can't guarantee it. Like when you paint chrome. Proper prep, and painted chrome will last a long time, but not many body shops will do it. The ones that do, can't or won't guarantee it.
Old 03-08-2014, 04:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Zax

Getting ready to have my 09 scab painted and most body shops don't want to deal with sanding my door handles or fender flares. Yesterday I ordered both door handles and tailgate handle from tasca part 273.74 shipped. Flares are next.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:18 PM
Zax
♫♪ I Hold On ♫♪

Originally Posted by Stormtrper
Hey Zax Getting ready to have my 09 scab painted and most body shops don't want to deal with sanding my door handles or fender flares. Yesterday I ordered both door handles and tailgate handle from tasca part 273.74 shipped. Flares are next.
Sweet. I got a hold of them as well. Very helpful guys down there!
Old 03-10-2014, 02:18 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

As stated, textured plastic can be painted and last when done correctly.

Finished product. Had dealership bodyshop paint them. They did further prep for adhesion and sprayed and baked.

Old 03-10-2014, 04:11 AM
Zax
♫♪ I Hold On ♫♪

Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
As stated, textured plastic can be painted and last when done correctly. Finished product. Had dealership bodyshop paint them. They did further prep for adhesion and sprayed and baked.
Looks great! If you don't mind me asking how much did they charge for that and how much of it did you do?

Quick Reply: Paiting Textured Plastics