Topic Sponsor
Painting and Body Work Discuss any body work or painting issues here.

Paint matching 2018 xlt door handles

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 02:20 PM

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Paint matching 2018 xlt door handles

I have the black textured door handles and I wanna paint them to match my truck (magnetic). Has anyone tried painting these handles instead of buying the ford ptm handles? I assume I could sand them smooth or just use adhesion promoter and high build primer to get the paint to stick sanding them down and getting them flat after sanding that tough texture off seems like it may be a bear. Also has anyone had color matching issues with magnetic or getting all that mettalic to match?
Old 06-22-2018, 10:23 AM

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Nobody's done this?
Old 03-06-2019, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jungles82
I have the black textured door handles and I wanna paint them to match my truck (magnetic). Has anyone tried painting these handles instead of buying the ford ptm handles? I assume I could sand them smooth or just use adhesion promoter and high build primer to get the paint to stick sanding them down and getting them flat after sanding that tough texture off seems like it may be a bear. Also has anyone had color matching issues with magnetic or getting all that mettalic to match?
Id like to know too, I just bought an 06 and most of the black accents have faded, so was thinking I could spray paint them to fix it, help the truck look newer
Old 03-07-2019, 05:49 PM

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Qptc
Id like to know too, I just bought an 06 and most of the black accents have faded, so was thinking I could spray paint them to fix it, help the truck look newer
This stuff works great for that: https://www.mckees37.com/plastic-tri...rer.html#modal
Old 11-10-2020, 07:30 PM

Received 545 Likes on 372 Posts

I had a local body shop tell me he could paint my texture black mirror caps no problem, but didn't want to paint my crappy plastic chrome door handles but said if I got the textured black ones that he could paint them no problem, so I am assuming it can be done. Its in a little cowboy town and he's been around painting big trucks for 20 plus years probably so I know he's legit. So I feel like it can be done. You just may want to take it to a shop and not do it yourself. Although I see people on youtube painting both the chrome and the textured black door handles, however, idk how good theirs hold up.
Old 11-11-2020, 10:59 AM
Automotive Refinish Tech

Received 1,746 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Yes textured black plastic can be painted just fine. You need certain materials to make it last and be durable. But Yes. I do it nearly every day
Old 11-28-2020, 12:33 AM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

It EASILY can be done!

just did mine this weekend.

here’s some pics

Clean very well with wax/grease remover. Then sand black textured surface with grey scotchbrite. Then clean agin, VERY well with wax/grease remover. Then apply a Adhesion Promoter to handles. This helps finish stick to the plastic. Then apply lacquer based grey sandable primer. This is to help fill in the gaps in the black textured plastic.

After sanding gray primer, I applied Oxford White Acrylic enamel color.

Then applied 3 coats of 2K Automotive finish. Let dry for 24 hrs before use.

Finished product!

The following users liked this post:
NITRO-FC (04-18-2024)
Old 03-14-2022, 09:55 PM

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Chrome ones paint just fine as well. Sand them use adhesion promoter , then prime , sand, paint 3x, clear 3x , Done!
D.
Old 04-29-2022, 07:52 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Anyone tried painting the buckets as well? I'm curious how the handles separate and if you could get a good enough angle to spray them properly.
Old 08-13-2022, 12:18 PM

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

How easy are the door handles to remove to paint them?

Quick Reply: Paint matching 2018 xlt door handles